The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I accept that Barth is important for the mainline Christian tradition, but I have found his incredible verbosity and vagueness sufficiently hard to deal with that I’m not directly influenced by him. I tend to read Biblical scholarship and more recent theology. For a question like this I’d look at PCUSA theologians, particularly Gerrish and Ottati.

Both of them look like paleo-Protestant in your sense. Their works start by reviewing the tradition. To respond to this question I reviewed Gerrish’s book “Saving and Secular Faith.” He reviews Luther, Aquinas and Calvin on the nature of faith, and adopts a somewhat modified version of Calvin’s definition. He sees faith as resulting from the impact of the Gospel, which for him is the way grace functions. Ottati’s works follow a similar approach of starting with a review of the tradition. He is more explicitly an advocate of the primacy of grace. He sees himself as part of the Augustinian tradition, through Calvin.

----

On Barth: I think the modern mainline tradition is part of a historical development of Protestant thought going back to Luther and Calvin through people such as Schiermacher and Ritschl. Barth explicitly divorced himself, not from church tradition as a whole, but from the liberal tradition. I suspect this was because he blamed liberal Protestants in Germany for giving in to Hitler, and took that to be due a problem with the liberal tradition as a whole. That cut him off from a large part of 19th and 20th Cent Protestant history. I don't know whether his judgement was right in Germany, but in the US, liberal Protestantism has generally been quite willing to criticize the culture and government actions. But Rauschenbusch and others critical of the culture were influential in the US, but possibly not in Germany.

Thank you so much for this richly detailed and interesting reply. It is always such a pleasure visiting with you on CF.com. God bless you my friend.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Morning,
Do you have a link or information to what that agreement is? I know about it but have never seen documentation of what it entails and I'm curious.
Thanks!

By the way I am really happy to see you around CF.com Psalti. I hope you had a blessed Transfiguration and will have a blessed Dormition. It looks like I will be visiting a Greek Orthodox parish that has particularly good music for the Dormition.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thus we can delight in the knowledge that the two Patriarchs of Alexandria, His Holiness Mor Ignatius Zakka Iwas and His Beatitude Ignatius IV both issued the following joint encyclical:

A Synodal and Patriarchal Letter.

To All Our Children, Protected by God, of the Holy See of Antioch:
Thank you! What was the historical background for this? As I remember there has generally been some relaxation of intercommunion due to persecution especially if someone wasn't able to go to their own church in the ME.

Upvote 0