An example why Gay agenda undermines religious freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigBadWlf

Marriage isn't a right. It is a special right...Like driving or being a doctor.
Is it legal to deny members of a minority group from becoming a doctor just because they are a member of a minority?
No it isn’t

Is it legal to deny members of a minority group from driving a car just because they are a member of a minority?
No it is not.

Equality is not a “special right”

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KCKID said:
We don't know God's purpose.
To KCKID,
I do as already shown in passages such as Gen 2, Matthew 19, Mark 10, Ephesians 5, 1 Corinthians 6-7, 1 Timothy 1 and Romans 1. [/color]
All you do is show you don't believe God's Biblical testimony.

If I don't believe that the texts you gave are God's Biblical testimony but MAN'S does that therefore make me a bad person?

I really am curious.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well I'm sure CiC will somehow try to refute the supreme court's perception on marriage. lol

actually im re-affirming it. Your the one whos trying to violate DOMA which is federal law and the Marriage Protection Act of 2007 .

And guess with president signed DOMA into law? Not a conservative or republican..lol

"the act is a legitimate exercise of Congressional power under the Full Faith and Credit Clause and does not violate either the Equal Protection Clause or the due process clause of the United States Constitution."

If gay marriage becomes legal, then the government cannot show any partiality to any other marriages that might be, such as pologamy, incest, bigemy, miscegenation,etc.

P.S.- same-sex unions pretty much give the same thing marriages do now. In fact in European countrys same sex unions give almost identical rights as married couples do.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If I don't believe that the texts you gave are God's Biblical testimony but MAN'S does that therefore make me a bad person?

I really am curious.

no, but technically Christians are supposed to believe all scripture is God-breathed and inerrant and thus all your opinions on this issue are just that, opinions, without the weight of authority of scripture, patristics, or dogma behind it. It seems based on your posts, that you base your authority of opinion mostly on moral relativism.

Even many UN-orthodox ideologies derive authority from the scriptures

Upvote 0

UncleHermit

Nov 3, 2007
✟8,585.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
P.S.- same-sex unions pretty much give the same thing marriages do now. In fact in European countrys same sex unions give almost identical rights as married couples do.

So how many unions do they have involving "pologamy, incest, bigemy, miscegenation,etc."?

P.S. what, in your opinion, is the difference between "marriage" and "same sex union"?

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So how many unions do they have involving "pologamy, incest, bigemy, miscegenation,etc."?

P.S. what, in your opinion, is the difference between "marriage" and "same sex union"?

Marriage is a union between man and woman in the eyes of God. An unbreakable covenant.

Civil Unions is a union between a man and a(women/men/visa versa) in the eyes of the government. A breakable 'covenant'.

But when you put the label "marriage" on it, everything changes, because marriage in itself is a religious covenant and was a religious sacrament long before the government got they're hands on it.

Upvote 0

UncleHermit

Nov 3, 2007
✟8,585.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is a union between man and woman in the eyes of God. An unbreakable covenant.

I'm an atheist. Can I be married? Divorced? Can you be divorced? Remember that we're talking about the government here, not God. If God wants to come down and actively govern, let Him. Maybe then we could get some clear answers.

Civil Unions is a union between a man and a(women/men/visa versa) in the eyes of the government. A breakable 'covenant'.

Which is different from a "marriage" in the eyes of the government, how?

But when you put the label "marriage" on it, everything changes, because marriage in itself is a religious covenant and was a religious sacrament long before the government got they're hands on it.

Tell the government to get their hands off of it then, if that's the problem.
Otherwise, what if a woman wants to form a "religious covenant" with another woman? How could you stand in their way? Wouldn't it be between them and God?

Upvote 0

#

What about muslim marriages or hindu, wiccan.

Marriage is a eligious ceromony which joins to people together, YOUR PARTICULAR religion has nothing to do with it.

As far as I'm concerned if a religion was started where gay marriage was accepted. The fact that the joining is religious makes it a marriage.

Maybe not a christian marriage, but still a marriage.

Upvote 0

riw

Russ
Mar 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This post is a straw man, and little more. Your claim is basically that the government only has a single reason for promoting marriage. You almost seem to imply that there can be but a single reason for marriage. This is the straw man.
Rather than refuting the claims, you start in the middle, claiming the argument from that point forward is a "straw man."

Then, although you call the argument a straw man, you accept the outcome, trying to defend marriage not as a right, but rather something given as a privilege by the government, by arguing why the government should grant the "right" to marry to same sex couples with this little gem:

Rather, married couples (even those without children) are more stable; they work harder, save more, are more law abiding, etc. There is a reason that of the thousand plus "marriage benefits" offered by the federal government, very few of them are dependent on children.
Now, before I refute this: Make up your mind. Is marriage a right, or something to be granted by the government? If it's something granted by the government, then stop trying to say it's about equal rights. If it's a right, then stop trying to use statistical arguments to defend it, because a real right doesn't rely on statistics, but on logical reasoning from a natural law foundation.

You first assume the US Government wants people to work harder, and save more, and then you assume there are statistics proving married people work harder and save more.

Your first assumption is wrong. Do you get taxed more for taking a loan out on a house, or for owning a house? Do you get taxed more for taking a paycheck, or for investing and saving? The tax laws of the US are highly skewed in favor of borrowers, rather than svers, so your first premise is wrong. If that's not enough, we have a string of politicians and commentators telling us the problem with the US economy is people aren't spending enough, that the savings rate has swung from negative to positive.

Your second assumption is wrong. Virtually every startup company looks for unmarried people, because it is well known that younger, single people who are not attached are always willing to work harder, longer hours, than people who are married. Having children will radically impact your work level in the marketplace. You want further evidence? Go to any job fair. Tell me the proportion of younger folks to older folks there.

But since you claim that the sole reason for marriage is children, would you agree with a proposed law in Washington state that would have annulled marriages after three years of those that did not have children? And if not, since children are the sole reason to allow marriage, why not?
And here you are repeating the same, tired argument over and over and over again. That because not all married couples have children, same sex marriage should be legal.

The only argument to be made on this nonsensical premise is that marriage shouldn't exist at all, not that same sex couples should be allowed to marry.

:)

Russ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
no, but technically Christians are supposed to believe all scripture is God-breathed and inerrant and thus all your opinions on this issue are just that, opinions, without the weight of authority of scripture, patristics, or dogma behind it. It seems based on your posts, that you base your authority of opinion mostly on moral relativism.

Even many UN-orthodox ideologies derive authority from the scriptures

And your authority for the above is?

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps the State should remove any definition of marriage and replace it with universal "civil unions."

Marriage, I believe, is more of a cultural/religious issue than a legal issue.

The English language already has a term for "committing to join together in a lifelong exclusive spousal relationship, much like the ceremony of holy matriomony in a church." The word is marriage.

Or are you saying we should say "civilly unionized" because "married" is such a highly charged term? (pun fully intended) ^_^

Upvote 0
B

Braunwyn

Now, before I refute this: Make up your mind. Is marriage a right, or something to be granted by the government? If it's something granted by the government, then stop trying to say it's about equal rights. If it's a right, then stop trying to use statistical arguments to defend it, because a real right doesn't rely on statistics, but on logical reasoning from a natural law foundation.
Statistics can be used to show the benefits of rights. I don't see the problem with using them in such a way, especially in conversations about discrimination. It sheds light.

You first assume the US Government wants people to work harder, and save more, and then you assume there are statistics proving married people work harder and save more.
Married people are more likely to own homes. Married people live longer.
http://abcnews.go.com/health/depression/story?id=2298049

Married people have fewer emotional problems.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2096692

"Overall, married people earn more, save more, own more, and are better shielded from economic risks, including poverty, than are non-married individuals"
http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/0/4/4/3/pages104432/p104432-1.php

Your first assumption is wrong. Do you get taxed more for taking a loan out on a house, or for owning a house? Do you get taxed more for taking a paycheck, or for investing and saving? The tax laws of the US are highly skewed in favor of borrowers, rather than svers, so your first premise is wrong. If that's not enough, we have a string of politicians and commentators telling us the problem with the US economy is people aren't spending enough, that the savings rate has swung from negative to positive.
Saving and investing are not mutally exclusive so I'm not sure where you're trying to with the above. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Your second assumption is wrong. Virtually every startup company looks for unmarried people, because it is well known that younger, single people who are not attached are always willing to work harder, longer hours, than people who are married. Having children will radically impact your work level in the marketplace. You want further evidence? Go to any job fair. Tell me the proportion of younger folks to older folks there.
I don't know about this. It seems likely that single people would be more willing to join a start up because married folk are less likely to take that kind of economic risk, rather than the other way around as you suggest. I haven't researched this though. As far as career advancement goes, I think the economic security of marriage would lend to opportunity. That's the case in my marriage. It's unlikely that my husband would be finishing his degrees if it wasn't for our marriage.

Reactions: Maren
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Rather than refuting the claims, you start in the middle, claiming the argument from that point forward is a "straw man."

Actually, this seems more true of your post than mine, especially as you don't even bother quoting my entire post but rather quote mine from it for effect. Funny how you restate my claim that you said there is only a single reason for marriage (procreation) but, other than denying that you create a straw man by claiming there is only one reason for society to allow marriage, you never say my claim isn't true, much less state what other reasons society has for allowing marriage.

Then, although you call the argument a straw man, you accept the outcome, trying to defend marriage not as a right, but rather something given as a privilege by the government, by arguing why the government should grant the "right" to marry to same sex couples with this little gem:

Sorry, but no. Rather, I was showing the fallacy in your argument.

So basically you don't want to lose your argument on two levels, huh? I choose to refute your argument, showing that it is flawed, but that does not mean I agree with your premises.

For the record, The Supreme Court did determine that marriage is a natural right, as has been stated. To quote from Loving v Virginia, "Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State."

Beyond that, however, there are numerous reasons that society as a whole (and not just government) encourage marriage -- and those reasons are not solely procreation (as previously stated).

Then provide the statistics. Instead, you merely are using anecdotal evidence.

Your first assumption is wrong. Do you get taxed more for taking a loan out on a house, or for owning a house? Do you get taxed more for taking a paycheck, or for investing and saving? The tax laws of the US are highly skewed in favor of borrowers, rather than svers, so your first premise is wrong.

Tell me, do you get taxed more if you work or if you stay home and sit around all day? So, by your logic, the government must want everyone to sit at home all day rather than work. In fact, not only are you taxed less but sometimes you can even get the government to pay you for not working. Or maybe tax laws are not "evidence" of what the government wants of its citizens.

If that's not enough, we have a string of politicians and commentators telling us the problem with the US economy is people aren't spending enough, that the savings rate has swung from negative to positive.

Yes, but strangely that isn't what they told us previously, that is prior to the recession/depression. Funny how they tell us something different in a period of economic crisis than they did previously. Tell me, if the government doesn't want us to save, why does the government sell savings bonds and encourage people to buy them? Strange how in prior years (prior to the economic crisis) I heard a string of politicians say that Americans needed to save more.

Your second assumption is wrong. Virtually every startup company looks for unmarried people, because it is well known that younger, single people who are not attached are always willing to work harder, longer hours, than people who are married.

Really, "it's well known"? Plus, you are making the assumption that startup companies look and hire younger, unmarried people solely because they work harder. And you are assuming they employ just any unmarried person of the street for this reason. Yet you ignore the biggest single reason why start-ups may tend to be younger and unmarried, the fact that startups often have cash flow issues and can't always put out a payroll on time, and often fail possibly even defaulting on part of the payroll. And young, unmarried people typically have far fewer finanical responsibilities (no mortgage, no other people depending on their income, etc.).

But we could go the other way and state that most stable companies prefer to hire married individuals because they are more stable, more likely to show up for work everyday, more likely to stay long term, and more productive while at work.

Having children will radically impact your work level in the marketplace. You want further evidence? Go to any job fair. Tell me the proportion of younger folks to older folks there.

Sounds like you are supporting my claim here. The reason that it is mostly young people in job fairs is that they are less stable, they don't stay in a job as long but are constantly job hopping and often quit a job prior to finding a new job. People who have children and are supporting a family aren't typically at job fairs (at least prior to this recession) because they have jobs.

And here you are repeating the same, tired argument over and over and over again. That because not all married couples have children, same sex marriage should be legal.

No, that was your claim, remember? You stated that the reason for allowing marriage was because of procreation -- which was your reason for denying same-sex marriage. Make up your mind, is that the reason you stated for marriage or isn't it?

And will you answer the question? Since your argument is that marriage is because of procreation, should we remove marital status from those couples that do not procreate? And if not, why should we deny gays marriage?

The only argument to be made on this nonsensical premise is that marriage shouldn't exist at all, not that same sex couples should be allowed to marry.

Russ

So which is your argument now, you have me confused. You previously said that marriage was allowed solely because of procreation and gays should be denied marriage because they don't procreate. But now you seem to be arguing that if marriage is only allowed because of procreation, since not all married couples procreate, that marriage shouldn't exist at all? Just what are you trying to argue here?

Or are you just merely stating, since you don't have a good argument (with my debunking the procreation claim) that you'd rather "take your ball and go home" by not allowing anyone to marry rather than allow same-sex marriages?

Upvote 0

Archer93

Nov 20, 2007
✟17,101.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Russ

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by 'right'?
In the UK, for example, children have the right to an education, decent housing and healthcare, and it is the government's responsibility to ensure that these are provided.
Marriage isn't that sort of right, in that it's not the goverment's responsibility to find you someone to marry. But it has been concluded by the US govenment that two consenting adults have the right to contract a binding legal agreement as long as certain conditions are met- they are not currently subject to a pre-existing legal agreement, they are not closely related and they are not doing it for reasons of fraud, say.
Loving vs. Virginia established that 'being of the same race' was not a valid condition and the debate now is whether 'being different sexes' is a valid condition.
Please note that this is about the civil legal agreement, commonly referred to as 'marriage'; not the specifically religious versions as used by the various world religions- the government does not concern itself with that side of things.

A large number of benefits and legal protections come as part and parcel of this legal contract, some of which can be replicated via other legal processes but these can be lengthy and expensive, and are not as decisive as those endowed via the contract- wills can be disputed but a legal recognition of someone as being their partner's next-of-kin is much harder to overturn.

But maybe marriage is a right based on logical reasoning from natural law. Well, it is noted that married people tend to be healthier and work harder/earn more than their unmarried counterparts, and are less likely to get into trouble with the law.
Assuming that the government wants a healthy, hard-working, law abiding populace, it makes sense to extend the right of marriage to as many people as possible, assuming they are capable of entering into a legally binding contract.
It's true that it is also in the interest of the government for there to be a decent birthrate to replace the workforce, but there's a bit more to it than that. A law-abiding and productive next generation is preferable to a generation that either does not work, works only is low-paid jobs, or is in jail. This generation would be a drain on the society's resources.
Children do well- i.e. they are sucessful and lawabiting- in stable and at least moderatly affluent environments. After that, there is no difference between same-sex and opposite sex parents in terms of child-raising.
It is therefore in the interests of the government to recognise same-sex partnerships as legally binding agreements, offer them the same benefits as those available to opposite-sex partnerships, and encourage them to consider adopting children who are currently in state care or similar.

Oh, and this bit- And here you are repeating the same, tired argument over and over and over again. That because not all married couples have children, same sex marriage should be legal.
That's not the argument. The argument is that, since not all opposite sex couples have children, and the fertility or otherwise of the couple is not a consideration when it comes to the validity of their marriage, it should not apply to same-sex marriages.
It's not 'not all married couples have children, therefore same sex marriage should be legal', it's 'not all married couple have children, therefore the ability of a couple to procreate together should not be a consideration'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp1

Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's see: According to Creed Is Christ's theory:

1. Pastors and bishops of the Catholic Church have and should retain the power to use the contributions of the faithful in any way they choose, including buying themselves Florida condos and stock portfolios, and any attempt by the legislature to regulate that is froward interference with feedom of religion.

2. A laicized priest who is a member in good standing of a Catholic parish and a college professor should be vilified for calling for accountability from the church hierarchy.

3. Two men elected to the legislature who are gay are not carrying out their constituents' wishes, despite statements on all sides that they were, but advancing some nebulous 'gay agenda' against religion (i.e., the Catholic Church, which equals religion) if they seek to make the bishops and pastors financially accountable.

4. Anyone who believes that they were right in doing so must be against religion and themselves pushing the gay agenda -- and probably gay themselves, since nobody would support fair and equal treatment of gay people on moral gorunds.

That's what I've got out of this so far. Creed, you want to refute those points with actual evidence, rather than innuendo and character assassination?

To try to bring this back to the OP from the hijack about the nature of marriage, please note that the OP dealt with the story about the efforts to pass a bill requiring that the finances of Catholic parishes and dioceses in Connecticut be placed under the control of predominantly lay boards, owing to embezzlement on the part of some priests. According to Creed, this is evidence of a gay conspiracy against religion.

I asked the above questions over two pages earlier in the thread; neither Creed nor anyone agreeing with his position has seen fit to answer it.

Upvote 0

YamiB

Mar 8, 2006
✟8,302.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anyone wanna tackle my last point?

If marriage is religious, but not of a particular religion. So why do the conservatists use this "religious corruption" argument; When religious marriage should legally not equate a christian marriage? (first ammendmant)

Because when they say religion they mean their own personal religious beliefs. They don't really want religion to be protected they want the beliefs of their particular religious group to be placed above others through the law.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Because when they say religion they mean their own personal religious beliefs. They don't really want religion to be protected they want the beliefs of their particular religious group to be placed above others through the law.

This is the actual realization which split me from being a fundamentalist. Man-led theocracy is a horrible idea.

Upvote 0

YamiB

Mar 8, 2006
✟8,302.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is the actual realization which split me from being a fundamentalist. Man-led theocracy is a horrible idea.

I actually wonder though how many support a literal theocracy. I know there are some who I've even seen on this board that want a theocracy and sometimes even a theocratic dictatorship instituted. But I have to wonder if a great amount are just being led by their religious beliefs without looking ahead and realizing that their actions and desires would push us towards theocracy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.