Feb 23, 2004
✟381,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you presume that God won't heal amputees? And if I'm understanding the index page of that site correctly, it is surmising that God (supposedly) not healing amputees is an argument against his existence. The problem with that claim is, God doesn't need to heal amputees in order to exist. Furthermore, nowhere in the Nicene Creed is there any obligation for God to heal any particular amputee, cancer patient, blind person, or so forth. Now, one must believe that God raises the dead to be a Christian, since we believe Christ was raised from the dead, and there will be a mass resurrection on the last day. And since raising the dead is part of what God does, healing anything is definitely possible. But who gets divinely healed of which afflictions (or even bodily raised from the dead between the times of Christ and the last day) is completely up to God; if God chooses to leave a blind person blind, then it in no way defeats Christianity since we are not obliged to believe that every blind person gets his or her site back. We do believe that blind people have been healed in the past however, and that such a healing is not outside the realm of possibility for the current day. If that can be done, an amputee can be healed.

Upvote 0

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Why do you presume that God won't heal amputees? And if I'm understanding the index page of that site correctly, it is surmising that God (supposedly) not healing amputees is an argument against his existence. The problem with that claim is, God doesn't need to heal amputees in order to exist. Furthermore, nowhere in the Nicene Creed is there any obligation for God to heal any particular amputee, cancer patient, blind person, or so forth. Now, one must believe that God raises the dead to be a Christian, since we believe Christ was raised from the dead, and there will be a mass resurrection on the last day. And since raising the dead is part of what God does, healing anything is definitely possible. But who gets divinely healed of which afflictions (or even bodily raised from the dead between the times of Christ and the last day) is completely up to God; if God chooses to leave a blind person blind, then it in no way defeats Christianity since we are not obliged to believe that every blind person gets his or her site back. We do believe that blind people have been healed in the past however, and that such a healing is not outside the realm of possibility for the current day. If that can be done, an amputee can be healed.

It is not to disprove God, but to disprove the power of prayer.

It says several times in the Bible that if you pray for it, you shall receive it. But why does God never heal amputees? He heals other types of illness, cancer etc, but never amputees.

Blind people can have their sight restored through several means, whether it is prayer or not that has worked is ambiguous. No one knows if the prayer worked, as it could have been natural means.

The point is that God never answers any prayers where there is no chance of coincidence.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

It says several times in the Bible that if you pray for it, you shall receive it. But why does God never heal amputees? He heals other types of illness, cancer etc, but never amputees.
Why do you think amputees are never healed? And why do you assume that the verses having to do with answered prayer are blank checks?

Blind people can have their sight restored through several means, whether it is prayer or not that has worked is ambiguous. No one knows if the prayer worked, as it could have been natural means.
Not Christ's healings.

The point is that God never answers any prayers where there is no chance of coincidence.
How do you truly establish no chance of coincidence?

Upvote 0

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Why do you think amputees are never healed? And why do you assume that the verses having to do with answered prayer are blank checks?

Have you ever heard of an amputee who grows back a limb? I haven't. I've heard of all sorts of prayers working, but never an amputee growing back a limb. It is not possible through natural means.

How do you truly establish no chance of coincidence?

There is no chance of coincidence if it is naturally impossible. If something cannot happen naturally, for example growing a new limb, then any intervention by God must be real. But this never happens. God only heals in such a way that coincidence must always be possible.

If God chooses to ignore prayer and follow his own path, then what is the point of prayer anyway? If God has already decided your fate, prayer will do little to change it.

That is the point the website is making.

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

Hello all, first post on this forum!

I wanted to ask the apologist opinion on amputees. If you don't know what I mean, visit Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Does this not disprove prayer? What is the Christian argument against it?

No. It just proves that atheists like to ask silly questions.

What is the Christian argument against it?

I don't argue against it. The Bible already answered it.

And the post hoc ergo proptor hoc fallacy is the best way you could think of to disprove the "power of prayer"?

It says several times in the Bible that if you pray for it, you shall receive it.

It does? OK. Show us that verse. I challenge you to show us one verse, quoted in context, that says that God is obligated to grant our requests.

Incidentally, I hope the Word of Faith folks are reading this. Hey, WoF, this is the kind of confusion your "name it and claim it" theology is causing among the unregenerate.

But why does God never heal amputees?

Why should He?

He heals other types of illness, cancer etc, but never amputees.

Never? How do you know?

The problem is that God is sovereign over nature. Why would you assume that the Creator of nature does not use nature to accomplish His ends?

Have you ever heard of an amputee who grows back a limb? I haven't. I've heard of all sorts of prayers working, but never an amputee growing back a limb. It is not possible through natural means.

I find it odd that atheists are always pointing to "nature" to support such things as homosexuality ("Well, some animals have same sex relationships so it must be natural") but when it comes to growing lost limbs, they insist it isn't natural when, in fact, by their own logic, the fact that some animals and reptiles can regrow various body parts would mean that it is natural. Why the double standard, atheists?

If something cannot happen naturally, for example growing a new limb, then any intervention by God must be real. But this never happens. God only heals in such a way that coincidence must always be possible.

So, again, why can the same God who created nature not use nature for His own ends?

If God chooses to ignore prayer and follow his own path, then what is the point of prayer anyway?

For us to know God, to learn His will, to conform to His will, to fellowship with Him...

That is the point the website is making.

Actually, the point the website is making is that the lack of anecdotal stories of regrown limbs shows that there is no God.

It's an ironic use of a post hoc ergo proptor hoc fallacy by people who insist that they're the real "thinkers" in the world.

Upvote 0

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Matthew 17:20:

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

John chapter 14, verses 12 through 14:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

That's just two examples. Is Jesus lying when he says that? Or, wait, I presume this is somehow out of context?

I never at any point said regrowing limbs is impossible for any other species, but it is impossible to us. Talk about grasping at straws. We cannot regrow limbs, therefore it is naturally impossible for us to regrow limbs, no? I don't know for certain that God has never regrown someones limbs, but I know that for all the supposed miracles that happen due to prayer, amputee healing has never been amongst them.

The website is not disproving God at all, for a "real thinker" you are really missing the obvious point.

God can use nature for his own ends, of course. Why has he chosen not to allow us to regenerate limbs via nature? Surely, if he is to answer our prayers, he would have thought of that?

I was hoping for an intellectual discussion about this topic, to try and see it from both sides, but all I get is aggressive argument.

I strongly disagree that this is a "post hoc ergo proptor hoc fallacy". If someone is healed after prayer, and it is not due to prayer, then surely prayer makes no difference?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What I'm hearing here is an argument that depends on a negative statement. The problem is, you can't prove a negative. Your experience does not include amputees getting their limbs back. Since we're still presuming God's existence and previous miraculous works, you cannot rightly say that this is not something that God will ever do.

There is no chance of coincidence if it is naturally impossible. If something cannot happen naturally, for example growing a new limb, then any intervention by God must be real. But this never happens. God only heals in such a way that coincidence must always be possible.
Really. What would be coincidental about the resurrection of Jesus, or Lazarus (John 11), or the man born blind (John 9), or the men who had been crippled for years (John 5:1-15, Acts 3:1-10)?

If God chooses to ignore prayer and follow his own path, then what is the point of prayer anyway? If God has already decided your fate, prayer will do little to change it.
This assumes that 1) God actually ignores all prayer requests and 2) that prayer is nothing more than a way to tilt the divine will to effect change. Both are wrong. Christianity is about our relationships to God, and his relationship to us. Therefore, much of it is in a relational context. Prayer is a method by which we draw close to God and become changed men and women ourselves. The closer to him we become, the more he shows us of himself, much like the way earthly friendships work - you won't share as much of yourself with a new acquaintance as you will with your best friend. Furthermore, God's will is intentional - there is no miracle that he does not plan. Therefore, the people who know him better follow him more closely, and he leads them along the path he has blessed. When this is done, we are naturally led to pray for various things, and through that he reveals himself, just as he had been planning to all along.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I wanted to ask the apologist opinion on amputees. If you don't know what I mean, visit Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

First off, the guy who wrote the above book is very careful to offer only the shallowest treatment of the verses on prayer that he cited. There are, actually, careful stipulations on prayer requests established in Scripture:

John 14:12-14
12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.
13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

If you want to understand what is being said in this passage correctly, you need to ask yourself a few questions: To whom was Jesus speaking? You should also ask yourself what it means to "believe in Jesus." As well, you ought to question if God has any goals He intends to pursue through answering your prayer.

Jesus was speaking specifically to his disciples in the above passage, not the public at large. His comments were first and foremost to them as his closest followers, not to some atheist looking to make a spurious anti-theist argument about amputees. Jesus was promising that to those who believe on him (vs. 12) after the manner of his disciples (who eventually gave up their lives in defense of their faith in Christ), he would answer their prayers. To serve just any old end? Not at all! The fundamental purpose of answering their prayers was to glorify God the Father through his Son, Jesus Christ. (vs. 13) So, this passage does not turn out to be a carte blanche promise to answer any and all prayers whatever their purpose.

Here's an interesting passage on prayer:

James 4:3-4
3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

The apostle James puts some further restrictions upon the prayer requests we make of God. Selfish, carnally-oriented prayers God will not answer. Such prayers, James explains, come from those who are the enemies of God. And God does not answer the self-serving prayers of His enemies.

Here's another important verse on prayer:

1 John 5:14-15
14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

Did you catch that bit about asking according to God's will? I underlined it so you wouldn't miss it. God's fulfillment of our prayer requests is always contingent upon it being in accord with His will. This rules out the idea that we can ask anything of God and He is thereby obliged to do it. Only those prayer requests that are in accord with God's will get a positive response.

How about this verse?:

Isaiah 59:1-2
1 Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear.
2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

Sin hinders our prayers, too. God will not hear the prayers of people in whom sin dwells unconfessed and unforgiven. As in the above passages, this qualification on prayer limits how we read other verses which seem from a superficial reading to give people unlimited right to receive from God whatever they may ask of Him. The truth is that God does not promise to answer every prayer request we make.

What about that famous "mustard seed" passage? Are there any restrictions, besides having a very tiny grain of faith, that it puts upon our prayer requests? Yup. Again, it is necessary to ask, "To whom was Jesus speaking?" Was it to the general public? No. He was speaking to his disciples. It was primarily to these men, who would be so instrumental in establishing the Early Christian Church, that the mustard seed promise was given. And they would need all the miraculous answers to prayer that they could get! Overcoming the skepticism and outright antagonism of those to whom they would share the Gospel would require the overt exercise of supernatural power.

Why doesn't God heal an amputated limb? Aside from the reasons suggested by the above explanations concerning prayer, probably for the same reason he doesn't heal a person who has been blown apart by a land mine, or who was burned to cinders in a fire, or splattered all over the ground after his parachute failed to open. Why doesn't God heal these people, too? For that matter, why doesn't God heal everybody? Why can't we all just live forever in perfect health? Is God being unfair just to the amputees in not healing their lost limbs? Or is He being unfair to us all in not healing every little ache and pain, every disease and disorder, every lethal ailment we contract?

This isn't the picture the Bible paints of prayer:

Luke 18:1-8
1 Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart,
2 saying: "There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man.
3 Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, 'Get justice for me from my adversary.'
4 And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor regard man,
5 yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.' "
6 Then the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge said.
7 And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them?
8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily.
"

Luke 11:5-10
5 And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him';
7 and he will answer from within and say, 'Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you'?
8 I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
9 "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

There is a place for importuning God in prayer. We may move Him by such praying when a less persistent prayer-approach doesn't work.

Prayer is for our sake, ultimately, not God's. He knows what we will say before we say it, what we will ask for before we ask it. But praying focuses us upon God; it reminds us of His Sovereign Providence; it prompts us to humbly seek His help; it allows us to consciously and directly communicate with God; it gives us an opportunity to experience a specific answer to a specific request from God. Prayer is far from pointless.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟836,857.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first big issue is:

If there was scientific proof that a Christian miracle had to happen than you would not have to “believe” in the existence of the Christian God, but would have knowledge of the Christian God’s existence. Secular knowledge actually works against a person fulfilling his/her earthly objective since knowledge tends to puff the person up, become more self-reliant, and increase the person’s pride.

What the nonbeliever needs is enough humility to accept God’s charity and believing (trusting) in a benevolent Creator (something the lowliest mature adult on earth can easily do) is an act of humility and that humility is enough to be willing to accept God’s Charity (forgiveness/Love/grace/mercy/help).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bear.Fr00t

Fruit Inspector
May 5, 2010
✟16,022.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Maybe it's the same reason people don't "evolve" extra limbs to prove evolution? ^_^ Sorry don't mean to derail the question, it's a good one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.