Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Survey: Loggers and fisherman still take the most risk; roofers record sharp increase in fatalities.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - There's a memorial in Gloucester, Massachusetts that stands at the city's harbor edge. It's a fisherman leaning into the wind and peering out to the open sea as if searching for a safe route home -- or perhaps a lost companion.

A semicircle of bronze tablets containing the names of more than 10,000 Gloucestermen lost in fishing accidents over the years lies at his feet, a monument to one of America's most dangerous occupations.

In some occupations, danger comes with job. That's seen in the latest national census of fatal occupational injuries from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, released Friday.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/index.htm

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a sailor by trade. Worked up in Alaska a few seasons, worked out of Gloucester, too. Seen the memorial, been to the 'Crow's Nest' of Perfect Storm fame. Didn't know any of them, but worked with a guy that did. Why do such a dangerous job? the money's fantastic.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Scribbler said:
I'm a sailor by trade. Worked up in Alaska a few seasons, worked out of Gloucester, too. Seen the memorial, been to the 'Crow's Nest' of Perfect Storm fame. Didn't know any of them, but worked with a guy that did. Why do such a dangerous job? the money's fantastic.

My brother crabbed and shrimped out of North Carolina. He was making $30K in 1970 when I was making $1.25/hour. :D Of course, those crabs were nasty and got him back every so often by biting a fingernail off!

Upvote 0