Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I knew it would not take too long for my conservative friends to minimize republican blame for the "MASSIVE" debt by stating that "well the democrats did it worse".

:D

Thanks for not isappointing friend.
Suddenly, debt and massive debt aren't the same thing. That'll teach me to expect consistency. :D:D:D

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have to ask...why do the Christians here care so much about money anyway? Didn't Jesus say it would be easier to fit a camel through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven? Didn't Jesus preach against wealth more than anything else?

They have created a likeness of Jesus where being rich is good.

It is a trickle-down religion.

Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Money is several things: A medium of exchange, a bookkeeping tool, and a store of value. It is the store of value aspect that is our problem. Foreign nations trade with us to obtain our dollars, not our goods. They then spend these dollars elsewhere where they get greater value than if they used the money to buy our goods in a balanced trade agreement. These dollars never return to our domestic economy creating a shortage and the need to borrow from those that hold those dollars.

We should print what we need here at home. If we devalue the dollars held hostage by (mainly) Japan and China, too bad; they should have spent them back here while they had greater value.

The 'reserve currency' status of our dollar started after WW1 when we made loans to Europe so they could rebuild their ruined economies. They never could pay us back and held those dollars, using them to back up their own weak currencies. President after U.S. president kicked the can down the road by not insisting that these loans be repaid. WW2 left Europe again in shambles and we again loaned them billions, which again they failed to repay, adding yet more U.S. dollars circulating in the now 'global economy'. Sadly, as long as these nations keep using our dollars theirs will never fully recover. Many people, trading within their own borders, insist on American dollars over their own currency.

We are victims of our own success.

FTW. A strong dollar policy is part of our problem. By the nature of trade, a strong currency leads to a trade deficit on the part of that nation. Normally, that deficit eventually leads to a weakening of the currency and thus the balance is restored. What is happening is that other nations keep buying dollars and thus keeping our currency strong. Consequently, normal economic balancing doesn't happen...and we lose jobs.

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to ask...why do the Christians here care so much about money anyway? Didn't Jesus say it would be easier to fit a camel through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven? Didn't Jesus preach against wealth more than anything else?

So you don't think America should pay her debts? I was clarifying how long it will take us to do the responsible thing. Its a really long time.

But those numbers are only correct if we don't incur more debt or pay more than half a trillion dollars a year back to whomever we owe money to. I don't know how that works.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you don't think America should pay her debts? I was clarifying how long it will take us to do the responsible thing. Its a really long time.

But those numbers are only correct if we don't incur more debt or pay more than half a trillion dollars a year back to whomever we owe money to. I don't know how that works.

But your numbers are deeply flawed in the first place. We're currently spending about 1200 billion more than we take in so with 400 billion in cuts, we're still overspending by 800 billion per year. IOW the debt would still be growing. I think you may be confusing deficit with debt. Deficit is how much we're currently spending more than we've taken in and debt is the cumulative result of all of that overspending over time.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

Survival. Social status. Take your pick.

I'm not a strong Christian but I can tell you right now that it's imperative for me to make sure I stay on top of my savings just to survive, and some tell me if hyperinflation hits, all that work will be for near-naught anyway.

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But your numbers are deeply flawed in the first place. We're currently spending about 1200 billion more than we take in so with 400 billion in cuts, we're still overspending by 800 billion per year. IOW the debt would still be growing. I think you may be confusing deficit with debt. Deficit is how much we're currently spending more than we've taken in and debt is the cumulative result of all of that overspending over time.

I think I was.
Wow so I had greatly underestimated that number. That is really troubling. For a minute I had hope that I could see this go away in my lifetime. I wonder why we don't hear about this in the news. If that number is so staggeringly high, where is media on this one trying to keep our government honest?

Does anyone have any good articles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
FTW. A strong dollar policy is part of our problem. By the nature of trade, a strong currency leads to a trade deficit on the part of that nation. Normally, that deficit eventually leads to a weakening of the currency and thus the balance is restored. What is happening is that other nations keep buying dollars and thus keeping our currency strong. Consequently, normal economic balancing doesn't happen...and we lose jobs.

As our economy sinks our standard of living will also sink to the level of our trading partners. Then economic balance will be accomplished. We will have lost the standard of living that was the envy of the world. How sad is that.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I was as smart as John Stossel I would have written this article. It is what I was getting at.

Stossel is wrong. Shredding the domestic economy will put us in worse shape. It's the trade deficit that's the problem, not the domestic economy. Taxes 'pass through' the government and back into the private economy in the wink of an eye. Domestic government spending isn't the problem. The annual hemorrage of $400Billion into the black hole of the global economy is. Our foreign trade must be fair and balanced, as well as free.

We are bleeding to death economically, and taking aspirin for it.

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We were in much worse debt back in the 1940's and thanks to huge investments in infrastructure, the interstate highway system for example, we paid it off by growing.

Cutting spending without investing in future growth is short sighted imo. Greece is being forced to cut spending at it's destroying their economy. I think the IMF is just interested in privitizing the Parthenon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It will. The game will continue until global economic collapse or world war happens.

And this is why people vote democrat; conservatives really don't mind if the end of the world comes because they think they'll get to shake hands with Jesus.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I agree with this, except that I'm not sure about the employment relation. I'm not entirely sure that employment is strongly related to a current account surplus or deficit.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And this is why people vote democrat; conservatives really don't mind if the end of the world comes because they think they'll get to shake hands with Jesus.
It sure beats getting to shake hands with the other guy :wave:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It will. The game will continue until global economic collapse or world war happens.
Your argument is hysterically illogically, mpok, considering that conservatives are the only ones who have been fighting to balance the budget ... Paul Ryan being but one example.

If there are any Democrats who have been in favor of balancing the budget, please do point that out. The best I've heard from the Democrats in recent years is along the lines of "Tax and Spend".

spend2prosperity.jpg

Upvote 0