Am I understanding about the "Second Resurrection" correctly?

lovemygod316

Jul 8, 2011
✟15,199.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to ask a question about the "Second Resurrection". I have been reading about it a bit lately, and some people believe that after believers are resurrected to be with Christ, then there will be a "second resurrection" where those that never heard the Gospel will be told the truth and then given a chance to be saved. It's also inferred that this is only for people that have never heard the Gospel, and that there is only one chance for salvation, so does that mean that all those that have heard the Gospel in this life and reject it are doomed?

And if that is the case, are we doing a disservice to people by sharing the Gospel with them if they reject it, when if they never heard it in this life, they would have the chance to learn the truth in the second resurrection?

Or are we to assume that when this second resurrection happens, those that are given the chance to accept Christ will be given it the same way that we now share the Gospel? But it sounds to me that those that receive the Gospel in the second resurrection are going to get it in a much more direct way and that there will be little room for them not to believe it. And if that were true, why are we evangelizing now and causing people that will never believe to hear the Gospel and thus get their one chance at salvation now rather than in the second resurrection?

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to ask a question about the "Second Resurrection". I have been reading about it a bit lately, and some people believe that after believers are resurrected to be with Christ, then there will be a "second resurrection" where those that never heard the Gospel will be told the truth and then given a chance to be saved. It's also inferred that this is only for people that have never heard the Gospel, and that there is only one chance for salvation, so does that mean that all those that have heard the Gospel in this life and reject it are doomed?

And if that is the case, are we doing a disservice to people by sharing the Gospel with them if they reject it, when if they never heard it in this life, they would have the chance to learn the truth in the second resurrection?

Or are we to assume that when this second resurrection happens, those that are given the chance to accept Christ will be given it the same way that we now share the Gospel? But it sounds to me that those that receive the Gospel in the second resurrection are going to get it in a much more direct way and that there will be little room for them not to believe it. And if that were true, why are we evangelizing now and causing people that will never believe to hear the Gospel and thus get their one chance at salvation now rather than in the second resurrection?
I hope I can unravel your thinking to your satisfaction, lovie. The 2nd resurrection (Rev 20:12) is for the lost.

Your questions seem to be more about the 1st .. which is the resurrection of the just. So how does one become "just?" 1) The OT saints were justified by faith in God. They will be the main group. 2) Infants are just according to innocence — they were never, as infants who died, guilty of any sin. They will be resurrected to choose to receive Jesus Christ as Savior in their resurrection bodies. 3) There are those who have never heard but who were saved according the "everlasting gospel" (Ro 1:18-21, Rev 14:6). I believe they are, like infants, held in innocence until death (whereas folks like Job were held in innocence until witnessed to by Elihu (Job 33:26-28) whereupon he repented unto his justification under the OT gospel (Job 42:5-6). If held in innocence, they will be offered salvation, like infants, to be received or rejected in the MK.

Does that answer to your questions?

skypair

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican

The first resurrection is for the beheaded martyrs,and coming soon. The second resurrection is of all the dead, a thousand years from now after the earth is destroyed by fire. Every one is judged, and those found worthy get to live on a new earth without any sea (Probably Mars).

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mark 16:
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

That is a direct command from the Lord Jesus Himself. We need to obey and not wonder about whether it is right or wrong.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The first resurrection is the resurrection of the soul from its death in sin, one's personal conversion (see John 5:21-29, Romans 6:3-11). The second resurrection is the general resurrection, in which all who are in the grave will come forth and all those still living will be translated; everyone will stand before the judgment seat of Christ and the wicked will be cast down to burn endlessly as chaff while the righteous are exalted to the station of being joint-heirs with Christ.

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
the first Res is the Res for the righteous,
all those that God gave Christ,
who in John 6 and 11, are promised to be "raised" back to life on earth
at the last day

so that last day begins at the first Resurrection...and it lasts a Millennium...
that 1st Res includes beast fighters, so it's not pre trib

imo the Mill is for refining backsliding Christians,
and to give all that need it, the fair chance of the Salvation that is in Christ

Upvote 0

lovemygod316

Jul 8, 2011
✟15,199.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mark 16:
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

That is a direct command from the Lord Jesus Himself. We need to obey and not wonder about whether it is right or wrong.

I guess that is what is really important, isn't it? And yeah, I do know that and try to obey it to the best of my ability, but this was just more of an intellectual question, I guess.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Upvote 0

Kingdom_Come

Jun 27, 2004
✟1,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Understand that Revelation 20 speaks of 2 resurrections on The Day of The Lord, one at the beginning (resurrection of the saints of God to live and reign with Him) and one at the end (resurrection of the rest of the dead).

Those that participate in the first resurrection are those who have overcome by the blood of the Lamb. They are not subject to eternal punishment in the lake of fire. They will reign with Christ for the entire Day of The Lord. Verse 22 tells us that the “second death” has no power on these people.

If we skip ahead to verse 14, we are told that being cast into the lake of fire is the “second death.” So these who are part of the first resurrection are not in danger of being cast into the lake of fire.

Now, before we read verse 14, we can see in verse 5 that the rest of the dead (the ones that did not participate in the first resurrection) do not live until after the thousand years (Day of The Lord) is complete. Then we read about the second resurrection in verses 11-13. This is also known as the great white thrown judgment.

Here the rest of the dead are resurrected and judged according to their works, and out of this group, any whose name is not found written in the Lamb’s book of life will be cast into the lake of fire.

So it is better to be part of the first resurrection than the second. In the first resurrection, you will receive eternal life in the kingdom of God. In the second resurrection, you will be held to account for your works, and there is the distinct chance of being cast into the lake of fire. So we would be doing a disservice by not sharing the gospel. People are much better off taking part in the first resurrection (the gathering of the elect).

Upvote 0

Kingdom_Come

Jun 27, 2004
✟1,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The first resurrection is the resurrection of the soul from its death in sin, one's personal conversion (see John 5:21-29, Romans 6:3-11). The second resurrection is the general resurrection, in which all who are in the grave will come forth and all those still living will be translated; everyone will stand before the judgment seat of Christ and the wicked will be cast down to burn endlessly as chaff while the righteous are exalted to the station of being joint-heirs with Christ.

If what you posted were true, then Revelation 20:5 would make no sense.

“But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.” (Rev 20:5)

If it were talking about all the dead being raised in the “second resurrection”, then the phrase "rest of the dead" makes no sense.

[*Edited to correct font size]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lovemygod316

Jul 8, 2011
✟15,199.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Understand that Revelation 20 speaks of 2 resurrections on The Day of The Lord, one at the beginning (resurrection of the saints of God to live and reign with Him) and one at the end (resurrection of the rest of the dead).

Those that participate in the first resurrection are those who have overcome by the blood of the Lamb. They are not subject to eternal punishment in the lake of fire. They will reign with Christ for the entire Day of The Lord. Verse 22 tells us that the “second death” has no power on these people.

If we skip ahead to verse 14, we are told that being cast into the lake of fire is the “second death.” So these who are part of the first resurrection are not in danger of being cast into the lake of fire.

Now, before we read verse 14, we can see in verse 5 that the rest of the dead (the ones that did not participate in the first resurrection) do not live until after the thousand years (Day of The Lord) is complete. Then we read about the second resurrection in verses 11-13. This is also known as the great white thrown judgment.

Here the rest of the dead are resurrected and judged according to their works, and out of this group, any whose name is not found written in the Lamb’s book of life will be cast into the lake of fire.

So it is better to be part of the first resurrection than the second. In the first resurrection, you will receive eternal life in the kingdom of God. In the second resurrection, you will be held to account for your works, and there is the distinct chance of being cast into the lake of fire. So we would be doing a disservice by not sharing the gospel. People are much better off taking part in the first resurrection (the gathering of the elect).

That makes alot of sense to me. But isn't it clear in the Bible that our works are NEVER enough for salvation? So it would seem that the second resurrection is just a formality for God to tell people "I told you so" before tossing them into the lake of fire. Or is that where people who have never heard the Gospel will get a chance to hear it for the first time and repent?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kingdom_Come

Jun 27, 2004
✟1,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That makes alot of sense to me. But isn't it clear in the Bible that our works are NEVER enough for salvation? So it would seem that the second resurrection is just a formality for God to tell people "I told you so" before tossing them into the lake of fire. Or is that where people who have never heard the Gospel will get a chance to hear it for the first time and repent?

At this point, I can only speculate. I am not aware of any clear Scripture that depicts anyone being saved by works. So there does seem to be the possibility that this is much like a formal trial where the accused will be presented with the evidence against them and given a chance to respond to it before receiving judgment.

One other possibility, all who live and die during the Millennium will likely be in this resurrection. There will still be humans here according to Isaiah. So they may actually have a good chance of having their names written in the book of life. Also, this may be a way of dealing with those who die before they are at an age of understanding and accountability. After all, what bad works could they have done if they died before having the chance to do them?

In any case, it is clear that the preferred resurrection to be a part of is the first one where you do not have to worry about it. God is a perfect judge so I trust that His judgment will be fair to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
If what you posted were true, then Revelation 20:5 would make no sense.

“But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.” (Rev 20:5)

If it were talking about all the dead being raised in the “second resurrection”, then the phrase "rest of the dead" makes no sense.

These dead are spiritually dead. They are awaiting the general resurrection when they will be called forth from the grave to be condemned to the lake of fire.

The righteous, though physically dead, live spiritually. Thus the ancient apostles refer to them as 'sleeping'. When they participate in the second resurrection it will consummate their spiritual life.

Upvote 0

Kingdom_Come

Jun 27, 2004
✟1,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
These dead are spiritually dead. They are awaiting the general resurrection when they will be called forth from the grave to be condemned to the lake of fire.

The righteous, though physically dead, live spiritually. Thus the ancient apostles refer to them as 'sleeping'. When they participate in the second resurrection it will consummate their spiritual life.

I guess I’ll stick with the plain words in Revelation 20 since it is clear that those that partake in the first resurrection are not asleep (dead) but are awakened (made alive) to reign with Christ during The Day of The Lord.

Some will point to the Scriptures where Jesus mentions raising those that believe in Him on the last day. Unless the thousand year day is understood, these passages may appear to contradict what is read in Revelation. However, when the thousand year day is understood, there is no conflict.

God resurrects all on the last day, but that last day spans a thousand years, and just like you and I do not do everything in a day at the same time during the day, not everything that happens on The Day of The Lord will happen at the same time on that day. The day dawns with the second coming of Christ and the gathering of His elect (first resurrection), and the day ends with the second resurrection and the great white thrown judgment: two resurrections on the same day, just not at the same time on that day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums