Fayetteville
✟8,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
My wife fought a four year battle with Stage Four Breast Cancer and passed away March 28 of this year.

I dedicated my life to her care,and went above and beyond to make certain she was loved and cared for. I have been getting my life back on track, living for me and doing things that make me happy but I’m SO wracked with guilt over being happy and making a new life. I feelI should have been the one who passed first ( she was only 55)

I know I have the right to be happy, I know I’m not “ betraying “ her but I still struggle having fun when I know she suffered so long and passed away. I’m in NYC now( one of our favorites) and I have a crushing sense of guilt knowing how much she loved it. I did visit our favorite pizza place and had a couple of slices for her.
Has anyone else dealt with this kind of guilt?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This might not make sense but enjoy these feelings for what they are worth. Would you prefer your wife to go through this instead of you if it were the other way around? You will find your place as the grieving progresses though the difficult stages of one to three years or more.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife fought a four year battle with Stage Four Breast Cancer and passed away March 28 of this year.

I dedicated my life to her care,and went above and beyond to make certain she was loved and cared for. I have been getting my life back on track, living for me and doing things that make me happy but I’m SO wracked with guilt over being happy and making a new life. I feelI should have been the one who passed first ( she was only 55)

I know I have the right to be happy, I know I’m not “ betraying “ her but I still struggle having fun when I know she suffered so long and passed away. I’m in NYC now( one of our favorites) and I have a crushing sense of guilt knowing how much she loved it. I did visit our favorite pizza place and had a couple of slices for her.
Oh, Dude sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you went through nor do I want to. Maybe your guilt comes from being selfless. I Don't Know! My brother-in-law died 8 months ago and when I saw his wife 3 months ago I felt guilt. I was embarrassed to be alive. The same thing happened when my sister-in-law lost a child. I was embarrassed to see her because I still had mine, thank God. Maybe it's the way you grieve. We all know that suffering is over for them and their in a place of being loved. Sometimes when I pray I talk to Joe and maybe that is a reassurance to myself. I've known Joe for over 40 years and with aging you build deep relationships. Pray, and cry, but know your wife wants you to carry on and you'll meet someday. Keep asking God to give you strength. Be Blessed.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

We're not to feel proud but you should feel good about making your wife happy an comfortable as she could be in her last days. We all should be so blessed to have some one care so deeply for us. Many don't have that when nothing is wrong with them. I have a feeling your wife was thanking God for you most if not all the time. You gotta feel good that you are so special.To be there giving her love and peace. Remember too, she would be sad that you are feeling sad and guilty. She's now with Jesus happy and without pain
Rejoice that you were there taking care of her making it easier on her. It could have been a stranger or worse. And God is saying "well done"
Bless you!

Reactions: Veve13
Upvote 0