• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Am I pretending if I say it's not Self-Injury?

vita_fragilis

Jun 22, 2011
✟15,120.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I self-injure. I cut. Not very often. Not any more. Hardly ever. I used to do it all the time but now only maybe every 2 or 3 months. I've taken a few overdoses too in the past. Last major one was a year ago. No suicidal thoughts since then. Been doing really well and trying so hard to quit all the self-injury stuff. I made a decision to put it behind me and thought I was doing so well.

Anyway, on Wednesday, I took <staff edit> promethazine (for anxiety) in a misguided attempt to control hallucinations that I get as a result of childhood sexual abuse. That was a (fairly minor) overdose that caused some problems that landed me in hospital today.

I tell myself it's not really self-injury because I never intended to do myself any harm. I didn't do it to hurt myself. I did it to cope. I did it to get rid of symptoms, not to cause damage. But is it still self-injury? I suppose it is. I think maybe I'm in denial? What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Taking an overdose is not a good way to cope as you probably know and it is self destructive. I have done it many times but not any more because I felt that God kept me alive for a reason after I nearly died. I am praying for you.

Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I've basically stopped labelling certain acts as 'self-injury' & tend to just use the term 'self-destructive'. I've found this more helpful. That way I can more clearly see when I'm heading towards an episode, or have had one. If I can recognise 'self-destructive' thoughts, such as urges to cut, bruise, burn, binge eat, starve myself, pull my hair out, drink, take drugs, and so forth, I can see it as a warning sign that something is going on psychologically/emotionally that I need to attend to. Self-injury is just one type of self-destructiveness - and often if we are prone to self-injury, we will act self-destructively in other ways as well, such as the ways I just mentioned. They're all ultimately damaging behaviours that we do to try and calm, control, release, etc. and therefore all worth paying attention to. Hope that makes sense! :)

Upvote 0