Jul 25, 2006
Louisiana
✟264.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello,

I am having a dilemma. How do I know if I am being called to preach? I have a VERY VERY STRONG desire and urge to want to preach, but I am scared. You see I have been out of my church for a long time and I am really scared what people might say. I am also scared that I dont have the necessary knowledge to be a minister. I feel like I dont know what I want to know. I want to preach and minister, but my main dilemma is "is this what God has for me". Someone, please help me....

Ssm117

Feb 25, 2005
Florida
✟188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A calling to do something is usually accompanied by a very strong desire to do so. If you feel this desire to preach then God is probably calling you do be a minister. I would encourage to go ahead and test the waters in the area of preaching. Follow what you believe that God has put on your heart despite what people may say about you. This is how God usually calls people! Don't be afraid, try it out. It sounds like a calling from God!

Upvote 0

JoeSaebi

Isaiah 53:5
Feb 21, 2005
Denver
✟11,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
youngbeliever05 said:
Hello,

I am having a dilemma. How do I know if I am being called to preach? I have a VERY VERY STRONG desire and urge to want to preach, but I am scared. You see I have been out of my church for a long time and I am really scared what people might say. I am also scared that I dont have the necessary knowledge to be a minister. I feel like I dont know what I want to know. I want to preach and minister, but my main dilemma is "is this what God has for me". Someone, please help me....
Praise God you have this desire. I don't know what denomination you are, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone into MASTER's COMMISSION. This is a 2 year discipleship program where you live Scripture. Often the graduates of Master's Commission become Pastors, or Evangelists, or go into ministry. Some just go on to college, but all the while they SERVE THE LORD.

I rarely share this, but I felt the same call, but at...40 years of age its a wee late to serve on MASTERS but not for you, friend.

Also, Masters Commission service allows you to go on several mission trips a year. WE HAVE THE BEST MASTERS COMMISSION GROUP at my church. New Life Worship Center, in Colorado. One of the greatest things about Master's Commission is that there are groups in many different places; we have people come from all over the world to serve a year or two in ours.

Upvote 0
S

shanester

Practice. Practice now with anyone and anything that will listen to you. Having taught for years now, I remember the days I was called to teach. I stepped out too soon in embarrasement and frustration. So I stepped back. But since it was a call on my life, I practice, I studied, I prepared my heart. And when the call came, I was ready for whatever the Lord had for me!

Be my friend at www.DittyTalk.com - The Christian MySpace Alternatve

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are all called to preach but only few Christians do.There is a unseen war and we as christians must fight the good fight.The enemy is attacking our friends and families through Tv,magazines,billboards,video games and the internet that are filled with violence,swearing and sexual junk ,that is corrurpting our youth..We can not just Go to church on Sundays then Go to our homes and ignore the Genocide that is happening right outside our doors.All Christians whether your Baptist,Catholic,or Non Dominational we must All stand together and bring the fight to the enemy.Our streets have became another Sodom and Gomorrah with all the sexual immorality,sexual perversion(homosexuality),genocide(murder/abortion-that has become another holocaust far greater than Hitlers holocaust that killed millions of Jews abortion has killed billions of our youth),and godless religions that are corrupting our youth and our moral obligations;religions such as mormons,Wiccan,Evolution,Islam,and Worldism.These people are crushing the youth of this nation when the youth of this nation are looking for God these cults are the only people who answer them ,our Christians are too busy at home watching tv or doing something else.These cults answer them and spread their lies that will corrupt and condemn the youth of this nation unless we do something about it.We have to pick up our cross and fullfill the great commission by going outside and preaching the word of Christ door to door and not just to the people who ask.We not only should preach the word but we should also stand up as brothers and sisters in Christ and stand up against this moral corruption that is sucking the life out of this society.God Bless You All:preach:

Matthew 28:19-20 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

2 Timothy 4:2"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction."

1 Corinthians 9:16"Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!"

Upvote 0

crusadernoel

Jun 3, 2006
London
✟15,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I once confused a very strong urge to preach with indigestion.
It ended in disaster of course.
From that point on I left it to the professionals.
Of course I always keep God in my heart and mind, and I share him with others, but as for preachng, well I'm off that for good. It's no joke annoying a tour bus full of Muslims.

Upvote 0

SpeakLife329

Apr 21, 2005
California
Visit site
✟391.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I had strong desires to do some things and as i grew up more and more into Christ and having a better relationship with God he's shared with me what my destiny is and it was the confirmation of what my desire was..so when God has called you to do something he will confirm what he's put into you, and He will make it happen for you.
Gods blessings
Kim

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think John the Baptist had been to "church" for a long time, either, before he started preaching the Good News.

But you also can't do it alone. Get back (if you haven't already) in a church. Seek guidance from your spiritual elders.

And the most important thing: Pray. If it is God's will, He will open the doors.

Upvote 0

Rathvon350

adelphoi en Christos
Jan 2, 2006
Albemarle, NC
✟7,921.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Youngbeliever,

If I may share my story to hopefully encourage you.

I received the call to preach my freshmen year in college. This was 180 degrees from being an officer in the USMC but, non the less, I gave up on that and set my sights on the call. Since then I've been through many twists and turns in my life and have ended up in the place where I believe God wants me. I preached two messages in college that seem to have been nothing more than confirmation of the call. It was 3 years before I got to preach to a congregation again, that was this summer. In the meantime I was filled with an unquechable desire to preach and seemingly no outlet. Soon I became content with it and realized that God would use me when He needed to. People would ask when I was going to preach and I just told them that I was in the oven cooking and when I was ready God would take me out and use me. I needed, and still need, time to mature and grow and learn more about God, I assure you God will use you when the time comes. Explore this calling and soon, if it's for real, there will be no escape from it.

You also mentioned being scared and feeling unprepared. Well, I don't think one ever gets over being nervous about preaching. It's a great responsibility but being a part of the body of Christ is a great reward. Plus, if you are called to preach then there is absolutely nothing more perfect for you to do, no better way for you to fulfill God's will for your life.

Practical things:

1. Take public speaking courses. These were invaluable to me in learning how to address people en masse.
2. Remember, you're not a showman, you're there to be the megaphone for God.
3. Study without ceasing, pray without ceasing and seek the very face of God.
4.Before all else remember that it's not you that matters. It's not what you have to say but the message of Christ through you.
5. Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young or because of your particular circumstances. If it mattered where we came from then Paul would never have been an apostle.
6. Don't be afraid, we've been given a spirit of power not a spirit of timidity. Nervous is okay, but not afraid. Christ Himself said, "be not afraid, it is I."
7. Be patient and accept God's will.

I hope this was of some help and encouragement, if not then just ignore it.:sorry:

Godbless and Godspeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums