Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Did anyone here ever live in a house with an alley? I get the feeling that neighborhoods with alleys are becoming less and less common. Perhaps some ritzy neighborhoods, or those with garden-style homes (no driveway, garage in back).

I grew up with one. So I always considered them normal to have. They are mainly used for garbage collection, or for some people who have garages with rear entrances. They are nice for walking in if you don't want to deal with automobiles invading your "space."

I lived in a neighborhood briefly that didn't have any. It sort of made sense. They seem like they would be safer. No place for bad guys to hide at night. That made it difficult for me to go on long walks while I lived there, though. I had to be careful not to drink anything for a long time before, or I might have trouble making it home in time (if you know what I mean). That was a great convenience with alleys.

I can't believe all the strange places I used to go walking at night. It was never scary at the time, but thinking about it now really creeps me out!

By the way, I just had a dream that featured alleys and walking in them, which I posted in the Dream section, for anyone to enjoy free of charge. You're welcome, don't mention it.

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We have them here, though they are less the "Dark dank places of crime" that you see in the movies about big metropolitan American cities, and more like quaint little places to face your driveway and put your garbage and chase away racoons from, but I've never been "scared" to walk down an alley here ;)

So the neighborhoods will have a street where two rows of houses face in (no driveways, usually not much of a yard), and the next street over will be the alley which is where your driveway would be (for two rows of houses [one from the above-mentioned street and one from the street next door], driveways facing each other, sometimes a yard but usually a back deck instead and a garage, and you put your garbage out there typically), and then the next street over would be a street again. It's fairly common in some areas.

But when I grew up? Alleys didn't exist. Everyone had a driveway that faced the street and big front yards and what not. I had no idea about real life alleys until I moved out west.

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have alleys here............. but not like the city alleys, tucked behind buildings and dark and scary like. I live out in a small town rural area. People here rarely even have privacy fences like you see in cities all over the south. Our alleys are for trash collection. We all have big dumpsters out back in the alleys. Some people have their driveway/garage in the back and they drive the alley to get to their house. Of course, our neighborhoods are not new either. This house is 100 years old. :)

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My grandparents used to live in a really small town. They would actually burn their trash in a metal container, then close a metal lid. Apparently, a truck would come by occasionally and collect the ashes. It was so infrequent, though, that I never saw it happen once, even though I would visit sometimes for weeks at a time.

I've always wondered if that would be better for the environment, if everyone burnt their garbage first, and then the ashes were collected instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lostaquarium

Quite flawed
Dec 23, 2008
London
✟20,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, I find alleys scary :) It goes back to when we lived in inner-city Manchester (in the UK) - it was a really bad area, and my parents were poor, young, foreign, and paranoid. They instilled all sorts of fear in me about walking in dark lonely places ^_^

I guess in some areas they might be a nice place to walk in. Though I'd prefer not to.

Upvote 0