Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So I think I have a metal allergy and I am having an allergic reaction to my baptismal cross pendant. I have developed a rash where my cross pendant would move back and forth across my chest during a typical day. At first I was unsure that the pendant was the cause of the problem, so I didn't wear it for 2 weeks. The rash went away and I began wearing my cross again, but the rash has now returned.

The pendant is sterling silver with gold plating. Typically most people are only allergic to nickel - which unfortunately is used when plating. I have tried putting a coating of clear finger nail polish on the back of the cross to act as a barrier between my skin and the cross but to no avail.

What do I do in this case? I know I'm not allergic to gold, so do I buy a new cross to wear? Does this make my cross any less "special" since my baptismal cross was baptized in the same water as I was? What do I do with my original baptismal cross?

I'm pretty bummed about this and not sure what to do :sigh::(

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
I second the idea of wearing the cross overtop a shirt, thus avoiding contact with the skin; sometimes I feel like body oil collects on the back of my cross, and where the cross sits against my skin, a zit often forms. So if I'm doing anything that gets me sweaty or hot, I either put the cross outside of a shirt, or don't wear it. Helps to keep the tarnish off the cross, too.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
why not wear a t-shirt or undershirt between the Cross and your skin when you wear it? or I know some folks who wear it outside their clothes.

I second the idea of wearing the cross overtop a shirt, thus avoiding contact with the skin; sometimes I feel like body oil collects on the back of my cross, and where the cross sits against my skin, a zit often forms. So if I'm doing anything that gets me sweaty or hot, I either put the cross outside of a shirt, or don't wear it. Helps to keep the tarnish off the cross, too.

I wear an undershirt anyways and I have tried this method, but somehow it slowly sneaks back underneath my shirt throughout the day.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
It wouldn't improve the look of the cross, but perhaps you could place it inside a small bag (still on a chain, or rope around your neck).
Would be nice if you could use some vestment fabric. :)

This way it would still be with you, but not causing irritation.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wear an undershirt anyways and I have tried this method, but somehow it slowly sneaks back underneath my shirt throughout the day.

I know some folks who get another one blessed, and then have their baptismal cross on their icon corner

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how much it will cost, but... a jewelry store can seal it/have it sealed for you.

Other than that. I'd second the idea of getting a cross in a material you're not allergic to, having your Priest bless it, and placing the original cross in you prayer corner.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some clear nail polish or epoxy on the back has helped some people I know.

I read about that and I have given it a try, but to no avail. :sigh:

I don't know how much it will cost, but... a jewelry store can seal it/have it sealed for you.

Other than that. I'd second the idea of getting a cross in a material you're not allergic to, having your Priest bless it, and placing the original cross in you prayer corner.

I would buy another cross however all gold ones are pretty expensive and I wouldn't be able to spend that type of money at this time. Plus my original one means a lot to me, but in the end this may have to be the path I take.

Regarding having it sealed, do you know the name of this process? The cross I have now is sterling silver with some parts gold plated (this is a pic of it). From what I understand its the nickel that is used in plating that is causing the allergy (at least nickel is the most common metal that causes a reaction). And as far as I know most plating is done with nickel. So do you know of a particular procedure you'd recommend?

RC17_LRG.jpg

Would a longer chain keep it from getting under your undershirt?

It would but a longer chain may pose a safety hazard at my job if it came out from underneath my shirt.

Upvote 0