Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all of the thoughts in your head are yours. Some of them could be from the devil and if they’re not directly from him, they might be influenced by the devil. Understanding how to deal effectively with this can help you overcome anxiety, discouragement, sadness, agitation and more.

If you’re trying to live in a way that’s pleasing to God, avoiding sin and attempting to grow in virtue, then agitation, anxiety, discouragement and such most likely are not from God. In fact, Jesus tells us,

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid (John 14:27).

Ancient Monastic Wisdom for Spiritual Warfare

The devil wants to disrupt your peace of mind, to take you out of the sacrament of the present moment. If he succeeds, he’s distracted you from the graces that only were available in that moment. The ancient monastics and hermits knew this. They engaged in battle with demons routinely. So, when the enemy of human nature starts to create havoc, we can learn a thing or two from them. Following, we consider some of these ancient monastics and their advice.

St. Anthony the Great (3rd – 4th Centuries)

Some of St. Anthony’s wisdom regarding spiritual warfare includes the following:

Continued below.