All That Really Matters Is How Much I Love Jesus?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was an Anglican vicar in England when we announced that we were (like thousands of others at the time) leaving to be united with the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I was in my late thirties. My parish was thriving. I had a young wife and family. Everything seemed peachy, but I walked away. My people were upset–some confused, others bewildered, still others angry with me. In the discussions that followed, a sweet old lady who identified as Methodist, but often worshipped with us because her husband was Anglican, cried out in frustration, “But surely all that matters is how much we love Jesus!”

I was reminded of this some time ago when, on social media, a discussion ensued with a member of the Church of England who rejected what he called “propositional truth statements” in favor of a “personal relationship with Jesus.” The person in question happens to be a high ranking prelate in the Church of England, so it was surprising to find that his theology was reduced to such a sentimental bromide as “All that really matters is how much you love Jesus.”

Not that there is anything wrong with the sentiment of course. The importance of the personal encounter with Christ is something that is stressed not only by American Evangelicals, old Methodist ladies and Anglican bishops. It is also summed up in the teaching of Pope Benedict XVI who said,

Continued below.