I've lurked around this forum rather often and never posted anything. Actually, I've never felt the need to post anything...until now. I need some advice, but first lemme give a little background info about me. A preacher once told me "it's not what you put in your body, but what comes out". I've lived by that line for years and have done exceptionally well (for a 22 year old small town boy). I have been drinking since I was 14, on weekends at first, then everyday around 18 years of age. I have accomplished much during my years of drinking. For example, I lack 3 hours from being a senior at Florida State University (with a scholarship paying everything, plus extra for me), I have 10 acres of land I plan to build a house on soon, I own a rather nice truck and boat that I have paid off, etc.,etc., etc.. The Lord has definitely blessed me.

However, below all those accomplishments I still feel as if I'm slacking. I feel that I can do/perform much better, but lack the inspiration and sometimes blame drinking. I know that Jesus is my guide and Savior in this life; also I know if I quit drinking and devote all my time to Christ my life would be much better. The only problem is that I pray more and perform more good deeds after I’ve had a few drinks. I know it sounds weird but that is the way I work. I’ve changed my ways before; I’ve went a couple months w/o a sip of alcohol and the results were not what I hoped for. I was less productive in all aspects of my life; I did less noteworthy/good selfless deeds for friends, family, and strangers. I prayed less often and didn’t feel as if the spirit was with me the way it should have been. Sound strange? I think so.

So, I finally come to the question I request advice on. (And please no-one suggest counseling b/c I’m going through that right now). Does anyone think that drinking is a negative thing on the lifestyle/habits/mentality of each and every person? I personally believe that if one doesn’t get carried away and keeps alcohol consumption intact (use the alcohol, don’t let the alcohol use you), he/she will be alright and successful in whatever she/he decides. I am proof one can be successful and drink often, but I still feel a little empty inside (maybe because I lost a possible wife because of my drinking).

I’m not going to change no matter how anybody replies. (I follow my heart and the Holy Spirit, Jesus is always my guide.) I do want some feedback though, just to see what input other Christians can contribute.

I love all of my brother’s and sister’s through Christ!

Rich

“Judge not, that ye be not judged” Matthew 7:1

LifeInYou

a little lamb...*baaaa
Feb 11, 2003
Cali
Visit site
✟8,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
(In my opinion and with the upmost respect) If you drink a little and then are in the mood to serve and be more loving to others, I say.....so what. Sounds like an easy way out to me. And I would ask myself- how much have I really accomplished? It's MUCH harder to be sober and be loving (for most people I'm guessing). It's harder to be in reality and love people because reality proves to us over and over again that people are cruel, that life hurts, and the hurt that we feel makes it challenging for us to be Christ-like. Without challenge there can be no growth. Jesus should be (IMO) your ONLY need and He alone is enough reason to set us on fire to serve and love others. That relaxed/peaceful feeling you get from drinking......it can be 'gotten' from Christ also (and it won't destroy you-it will do the very opposite actually ;)).

I apologize if I came across harsh.....*was not my intention* :sorry:

Upvote 0

LifeInYou

a little lamb...*baaaa
Feb 11, 2003
Cali
Visit site
✟8,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"it's not what you put in your body, but what comes out".

In response to your pastor's quote:

Ephesians 5:18 "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the holy spirit."

Being 'filled' is not talking about what comes 'out of us' yet for some reason God realizes that what we fill ourselves with is important.

Some more food for thought: Essentially Christians proclaim that Jesus is the Way, He is the only thing we need, He satisfies. Drinking (to a certain degree) can undermine your witness and proclamation, no?
Jesus didn't say I am the Way, the Truth and the Life + drinking. Alright I'll be quiet now......:sorry:...I'm not tryna be mean (and I am by no means perfect), just tryna give you stuff to think about a little... (as I hope fellow brothers and sisters in Christ would do the same for me)

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was a dumb preacher who took that statement way out of context.
It is illegal to drink till you're 21. He didn't say anything about that. So it seems like he told you to go ahead break the law for several years.
Alcohol leads to countless tragedies and destructive behaviors.
I choose not to drink because I believe it would make a joke out of my witness. I like beer. But I would feel like a creep if I was sitting here telling the teens how to live life while I was knocking back a sixpack.

What you put into something will determine the quality of what comes out of it.

Upvote 0

katelyn

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2003
✟17,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In general, I am of the opinion that it's okay to drink as long as you don't get drunk. So, my husband and I will occasionally have a drink when we go out to eat. (I have never had more than 1 drink at a time, and my husband is about the same.) However, if we are with people who will see us drinking an alcoholic beverage as a stumbling block we will not drink.

It kind of sounds like you have gotten used to having "a few drinks" regularly and so probably the reason you don't do as good is that when you don't drink, your body misses that...which could make you irritable and less likely to "do good works."

Now that may not be the case, it may just be a matter of the alcohol making you feel good and that driving you to "do good." I was just guessing based on the fact that you at least for a while drank daily. I know too many close acquaintances who have/are ruining their lives & marriages with alcohol to advocate drinking as an active part of your lifestyle.

Upvote 0

JOYfulbeliever

Oct 10, 2002
✟3,922.00
Faith
Baptist
Well, you asked for opinions, so I am going to share mine...but before I do, please know that I am not judging you, I am looking at this situation and giving my opinion on it! :)

richjr1969 said:
Does anyone think that drinking is a negative thing on the lifestyle/habits/mentality of each and every person?

Drinking occasionally, socially, no. When it controls your life, Yes.

I personally believe that if one doesn’t get carried away and keeps alcohol consumption intact (use the alcohol, don’t let the alcohol use you), he/she will be alright and successful in whatever she/he decides.

The thing that strikes me here is "if one doesn't get carried away". From the sound of your post, it seems as though you feel as though you can't function as well without alcohol. I apologize if I drew the wrong conclusion, but if that is the case, then that to me is "carried away". I have no problem with an occasional drink, and I enjoy alcoholic beverages with meals now and then. But it sounds like it is an obsession with you because you think it enables you to perform better. I'm certainly not saying that it doesn't, but I think it is because your body has gotten so used to having it there, when you don't have the alcohol in your system, to me, your body would almost be going through withdrawals, which makes it seem like you aren't able to achieve as much. Again, this is only my opinion based on the information you shared. You said you are in counselling, I think that is great, and a great step for you. I encourage you to stay with it...

I am proof one can be successful and drink often, but I still feel a little empty inside (maybe because I lost a possible wife because of my drinking).

I will guess and say that the reason you feel empty inside is because you are not allowing the Holy Spirit to fill you. Whether it seems like it or not, you are putting "other gods before God"...the other gods being alcohol. No, I don't mean that you are "worshipping" alcohol, but you have become so dependent on it that it has become your "idol". I'm not saying that you aren't a strong Christian...please don't misunderstand me! But, the way things sound, you are depending on the alcohol to help you achieve and accomplish, instead, put your trust completely in God, and I GUARANTEE He will fill that empty spot and will help you accomplish anything!!!

That's just my $.02 for the day! :)

I hope I didn't offend you...it wasn't my goal, I promise!

Reactions: katelyn
Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the others.

Let me add.. I am not advocating drinking but

THE ONLY alcolholic beverage that has any MEDICAL benefit - is WINE. And then it is only 8oz a day.

You see - studies that say beer is good for you or liquor - they are paid for the the beer or liquor company - of course they will say that.

Independent studies show that wine is the only alcoholic beverage that is beneficial.

However, does that mean you should drink it? NO!

it dulls the senses - dulls the mind etc..

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
richjr1969 said:
I feel that I can do/perform much better, but lack the inspiration and sometimes blame drinking. I know that Jesus is my guide and Savior in this life; also I know if I quit drinking and devote all my time to Christ my life would be much better. The only problem is that I pray more and perform more good deeds after I’ve had a few drinks. I know it sounds weird but that is the way I work. I’ve changed my ways before; I’ve went a couple months w/o a sip of alcohol and the results were not what I hoped for. I was less productive in all aspects of my life; I did less noteworthy/good selfless deeds for friends, family, and strangers. I prayed less often and didn’t feel as if the spirit was with me the way it should have been. Sound strange? I think so.
Alcohol makes you do things that you normally would not do - ever see onyone show has been drinking and acting completely out of character?

the effects of the alcohol proabably jsut make it easier for you to "be more outgoing" in those areas. ie... make it easier to do things you would not normally do.

you drink every day? What happens if you skip a day? Can you skip a day? Do you NEED alcohol?

Upvote 0

Kittie

Oct 13, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟146.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't think someone should need to have a drink every day, I think thats a bit excessive and that maybe when you don't drink for a bit and you say you aren't as good a person, maybe its because your going through withdrawal! Because honestly you sound like a bit of an alcoholic. I mean going out maybe once a weekend and having a drink or two is fine, as long as you don't drink and drive or get drunk. But needing to drink every day like you said you do just to feel ok, I really think you need some help. Maybe attend a few AA meetings or something and pray about it.

Upvote 0

Joelk

Aug 16, 2003
✟165.00
Drinking is only part of drinking. The context in which you drink is very important to concider. Do you have a pint with a meal? Or do you have a pitcher at a nightclub? Do your actions cause another to fall into sin?
Does it bother you when the world says that Christians are hypocrites? When they can't see the difference between what they do and what we do?
Salvation isn't based on your works, only the work of Jesus. When you pray, ask to be convicted and be brought to repentance. He will tell you if what you are doing is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think it is good that you feel the need to express yourself though you don't want anyone to tell you counselling is a step in the right direction.

Yes, I understand fully you say you are going through it.

I don't recommend counselling only, detox and possible rehab are keys.

You say your functions go down when you stay away from alcohol. Its perfectly normal - you've been an abuser since the age of 14. Chances are great you have no idea how to function on a clean level.

Upvote 0

icebreaker

Oct 26, 2003
Elizabeth City, NC
✟400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds to me that you rely on the beer for your strength and do not put all your trust in God for strength. It sounds just like a friend of mine who feels he cant do anything without a cigarette although both are complety different both make you dependent on them to get you through things. It sounds like you relate having a buzz to having the spirit inside when you say that you didnt feel the spirit was with you as it should have been. I dont have any scriptures to back me up but I would think I christian would definetly be against drinking and then praying etc... alcohol has its effects and a person should be fully aware in front of God although im sure after you build up a tolerance to it it doesnt effect you easily. Are you shy around people and use acohol to approach them freely weither it is for a good deed or what not? Let me know if any of this relates to you just out of curiousity. I pray that God helps you to finish school successfully sounds like he has already helped you alot so far.

Upvote 0