Oct 2, 2011
✟11,970.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
At work today, a child (he couldn't be older than 10) asked me how old I was. I told him, and he asked if I was married. When I told him no, he got a very serious look on his face and said, "Guess ya better hurry up! You gotta be married before 23. No boy wants an old lady" I was like....uh....what?? I guess the point of this is the question, are children given the wrong idea of needing to be married at a younger age because being older is unattractive? :doh: firstly, I'm not even out of college, and live on campus. I'm not even old! Not sure why this bothered me so much, but oh well. Sorry for the rant.

Socktastic

we have sinned in thought, word and deed
Jan 21, 2012
Somewhere.
✟18,831.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
At work today, a child (he couldn't be older than 10) asked me how old I was. I told him, and he asked if I was married. When I told him no, he got a very serious look on his face and said, "Guess ya better hurry up! You gotta be married before 23. No boy wants an old lady" I was like....uh....what?? I guess the point of this is the question, are children given the wrong idea of needing to be married at a younger age because being older is unattractive? :doh: firstly, I'm not even out of college, and live on campus. I'm not even old! Not sure why this bothered me so much, but oh well. Sorry for the rant.

You're old to a child ;).

Children think anyone over the age of 20 is old; i'm not even sure it's due to the wrong ideas being implanted, it's just an inability to grasp that at 10, 20 is old, but at 20, 30 is old. In the 20's you're supposed to be a 'grown up' so you're supposed to do grown up things, like get married and have babies. It's just their perspective.

I just put it down to them being children, the discussion that follows can be rather entertaining. Sometimes it's just because they can't fathom 23 as being young, sometimes it is because of family expectations. You don't know until you get the ball rolling.

Amber posted the same thing.
I'm such a copycat.

Reactions: Amber.ly
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, wow, you mean the younger generation actually understands the values and idea of marriage in these times?

From the sounds of it his "values" of marriage are no more deep than that of Hollywood, "No boy wants an old lady" Marriage ist and shouldnt be about " I dont wanna be too old and single" it also shouldnt be about "because she is "young"", people you marry get older, unless you have a Hollywood meaningless marriage.

To a ten year old you are way old. Just like a young 20's views a 40 year old.

Its all about perspective.

I thought my sister was OLD and she is somewhere around 7 years different^_^

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to over look the fact the 10 is insanely young. :doh: It's just strange for me to be called old. Lol

Fear not, you were born within 10 years of the internets invention, you cant be mistaken as old just yet. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
When I was 20 my cousins (8-14 years old) were surprised that I didn't have a boyfriend or wasn't engaged, they said that they thought most people would get married around my age. I don't know if they really believed it though. :)

Upvote 0

manillabar

Feb 8, 2012
New Jersey
✟15,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
One summer, I was teaching VBS at the church and the first day I was with two boys who came early. I think they were like 8 and 10 or something. I was 20. They asked how old I was, and I said "how old do you think I am?" and I got everything from 27-45 :doh:. Another little girl in my sunday school class (she was 5) told me when I was 19 that I was getting taller and that meant that it was time for me to get married... kids are funny like that :p Meanwhile, in the past few years I've had friends getting married and engaged and I think, "but we're just baaabies" but I guess not really anymore haha

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, it's probably because he is 10. You probably DO seem old to him.

There are instances where parents have filled their childrens' head with ridiculous nonsense like needing to be married by a certain age otherwise you're "too old" or "All the good ones are taken". But more than likely, he was just a kid looking at things from a kid's perspective.

Upvote 0

Megablue

아름사자암사랑해왜내마음을아프게했어
Feb 7, 2012
✟8,800.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I actually find that to be one of those cute things kids say rather than anything I'd be alarmed about. Kids have no idea at that age how life works. They just figure when you are an adult you get married and have children because that's what they see the adults in their life have done. Don't worry about what children say about you being old. :) I can say pretty confidently that it's going to be quite likely that when he is your age, he won't be thinking it's time to hurry up and get married.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums