After centuries of changing names, some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American'

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It was their choice to be called what they wanted to be called. They have now overused that freedom.

I didn't realise that there was a limit to the extent that people can decide their own labels.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am sure the term "African-American" will be blamed on the white man like every thing else.

I would just like to see black leaders take a little responsibility for what is happening in predominately black communities both in inner cities and in the country. Have them bring a mirror because the fault lies with them, not white America.

I am tired of being told I owe something to someone else because they are without.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am sure the term "African-American" will be blamed on the white man like every thing else.

I would just like to see black leaders take a little responsibility for what is happening in predominately black communities both in inner cities and in the country. Have them bring a mirror because the fault lies with them, not white America.

I am tired of being told I owe something to someone else because they are without.

Did you just associate black with poor?

Upvote 0

Jn1010

ChWriter
Nov 23, 2011
✟15,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I for one think its time that we forgot all names that precede "American." It only serves to divide us as a nation. None of us can help who we were born but we can certainly have a lot to do in getting along with each other. If we don't rally around a common label, we won't survive. Scripture says that a house divided cannot stand.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you just associate black with poor?

I feel that the strength of this country is directly proportional with poor black America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

dies-l

If one person wants to be called "black" and another "African-American", what is wrong with simply just trying to defer to one's preference?

Obviously, you can't always do so, such as when referring to a group of people, but I think that more often than not, it is not that hard just to respect individuals' preferences.

I personally prefer the term African American, because I have yet to meet a person with black skin, and "black" is often used to imply moral evil or darkness. When it is necessary to speak of my children's race I will call them "African American" or biracial. Our oldest, who is biracial, has skin that is not much darker than my own. Our younger two have skin that is a very beautiful shade of brown. And, I don't refer to myself as white, as my skin is more of a beige/light pink/peach color.

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

Except that they're different people each time, so that's not particularly true...
Hehe.

I'm glad a Brit chimed in. I was watching CNN or some other news channel one night and they mentioned a story about something that happened in London. The American reporter was talking about a Londoner who was black and instead said African-American out of habit. I think she sorta caught it as she seemed slighly confused immediately afterwards. Might have even been on her teleprompter, but it was definitely PC at it's finest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't care what race anyone is. But if they want to hyphenate their patriotism, they know where the border is. American is American. White American, Indigenous American, Black American, whatever. But putting another country before America is too wrong. If they want to put Africa before America, then they can move to Africa and kindly return the billions of American tax-payer dollars we are giving the African nations.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Americans of X nation ancestry.

Whatever, no one really asked me.

Compared to the old terms coined by some European ancestry Americans, such as coon, spook, colored, etc., black or African America are both acceptable in my book.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Very telling statement about you, but not the topic of the thread.

Upvote 0