Not open for further replies.

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Arikay said:
So your priorities are that its better to destroy something than feed the homeless?
I have different priorities. :)

The last group that made the news by burning Harry Potter books, also burned any non KJV bibles. Not old ones, new ones. They burned them because they believe any non KJV bible is the work of satan and should be destroyed in flames.

So you're saying you can't feed the homeless without leading someone into sin. And I'm sure you're giving sacrificially to do so even now?

I believe Havoc was referring to this scripture:

Mark 14:3-11

3*And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard F41 very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head. 4*And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made? 5*For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her. 6*And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. 7*For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. 8*She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying. 9*Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her. 10*And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them. 11*And when they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently betray him.

So there were some apostles who were ignorant, and God taught them why Mary's action was right. But one of them was entered into by an evil spirit because his was not a mistake of ignorance, but of willful decision, a wrong motive. But satan did not enter into him yet. It was at the last supper.

At the last supper, Jesus dipped his broken bread into the dish. A symbolic action, as was the entire last supper. And Judas had, in the past, dipped his in with Christ. What does it testify? Worth considering.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
LewisWildermuth said:
Lewis has a heart attack an falls over...

You tossed it out!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have loved it! I love old books, especialy odd ones that are rarely saved, it would have made great reading!

And I am a Christian!

That was a sad and pointless destruction of an item that would have helped people learn and understand our past and other religions. Just think of the good that could of come if some Christian could have actualy used that for study on witchcraft rather than having to rely on Bob Larson and his ilks trash.

Book burning is bad, I don't care what the book is about! If you didn't want it to be used as a spell book again, I'm sure there are some fine bible schools or ministries that would have given their eyeteeth for such an item, not to mention people like me who just love the odd info and history of such books or even a secular school that might just have some use for it in their history archives. You may have just tossed out the key that would have let someone reach a witch and pull them from the craft.
I don't believe that you reading this book would have led anyone out of witchcraft. Instead, I believe that it could have been used as a trap to lure you into witchcraft. Sort of like bondage of inappropriate contentography. That's why I threw the book out, under all sorts of messy garbage where it belonged.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Can you explain to me how this deck will lead someone into sin?

First, yes I often do give sacrificially (not animals. ;) ) To help the poor and feed the homeless, but thats about as far as I will go at explaining any of my actions as they do not need to be said.

Lets try this,

You are you, a heavily practicing christian. I bet you already have a bible or two at your house.
I sell you a very nice old bible with gold trim, or something that makes it a well made book.

Does that make me a promoter of your religion?
Would you have stopped being christian if I had not sold you the bible?
Does that nice bible bring you closer to jesus or strengthen your belief in christianity?

Now, after answering the questions, put inplace of yourself, the person who is most likely to buy this deck (probably a heavily practicing pagan, that has one, two, three, or more decks already) change bible and christianity to their appropriate names (deck and pagan) and tell me if you think that their answers would be any different than yours (I very much doubt it).

Now, what she can change is with that money she could save someones life, or make someones life better.

Whitehorse said:
So you're saying you can't feed the homeless without leading someone into sin. And I'm sure you're giving sacrificially to do so even now?

[snip]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Ari, there is no sin in selling a Bible. Yes, you would be promoting Christianity, even if you do not believe it yourself, because you would be providing the materials for this person to engage in this religious practice.

If you had a pit bull and it attacked you, would you then sell this animal to someone else?

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Yes it does.

Two of the largest suggestions here are to either destroy it, or sell it and give the money away.

So, the two suggestions are,

1) Destroy the cards and thats that.
2) Sell the cards and use the money to help feed the homeless.

And thus my question is valid,
Would he rather destroy the cards than feed the homeless?

blindfaith said:
DM doesn't believe/think as you do Arikay, and that's fine. Feeding the homeless has nothing to do with his conviction on this topic.

Let it be.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
You did not answer any of the questions.
and missed the entire point.
please reread my post.

Whitehorse said:
Ari, there is no sin in selling a Bible. Yes, you would be promoting Christianity, even if you do not believe it yourself, because you would be providing the materials for this person to engage in this religious practice.

If you had a pit bull and it attacked you, would you then sell this animal to someone else?

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
I did answer your question about promoting CHristianity. But the rest of it is invalid, which is why I posted what I did. The issue with the cards is not the other person, whether they will be different, it's whether you are partaking in their dcestruction. That is theissue Christians have with selling goods a person finds destructive to himself.

Oh-okay: I see the wuestion there about why the cards are sin. It is because they are used to gain supernatural information. THis is divination. As it is written:

Leviticus 19:26

19:26Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times.

Also Deuteronomy 18:10-13:

18:10There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

18:11Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

18:12For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

18:13Thou shalt be perfect F55 with the LORD thy God.

I hope this helps. Now about the pit bull.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
But again, would you be helping in their destruction?

I mean, if the buyer has say 5 tarot decks. How will a 6th lead anymore to their destruction?

The pitbull analogy is not quite right, since as I mentioned before most likely the buyer will already have a couple tarot decks. A bite is not the same as sin, Although, thinking about it, the buyer may not even practice tarot, but collect decks. Is the deck itself sinful? or is it the practice?

Anyway, from the sound of it, she is going to sell them, hopefully they will bring a nice amount of money.

Upvote 0

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So some think it's okay, and have given their argument.

Other's think it isn't and have given their argument.

Can we say, "beat a dead horse"?

Whatever the author of this thread decides to do, is going to go ahead and do it, depending on his/her beliefs/conscience. **shrugs**

I'm more interesting in shopping for snowboards on Ebay right now anyway........

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Blind faith, you're right-this isn't about the person selling the cards anymore. It's now a philosophical debate on ethics. But I still think it's important to weigh out. ;)

Ari, what the other person does is irrespective of what we do. The other person having a deck of cards has no bearing on whether what we do is right. That is his decision. We are responsible for our actions. So by providing the cards, it doesn't matter whether the guy was going to buy them somewhere else or not. The question is, did we have anything to do with at all? Supplying the cards is called being an accomplice.

Yep, the pitbull example fits point for point, because this is about supplying something dangerous to someone else.

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
newlamb said:
I don't believe that you reading this book would have led anyone out of witchcraft. Instead, I believe that it could have been used as a trap to lure you into witchcraft. Sort of like bondage of inappropriate contentography. That's why I threw the book out, under all sorts of messy garbage where it belonged.
So the book you threw out is stonger than anyones belief and somehow could overpower it?

I find your lack of faith somewhat disturbing... What is so magical about this book that you think it would corrupt even those who are in ministries that witness to witches?

How would knowlege of another religion tempt someone out of Christianity? And if Christianity is so weak that just being exposed to other ideas will deconvert people, what does that say about the power of our God?

Would it be better to learn about an other religion from their own books or through people who have an axe to grind? Sould I learn about Christianity from a militant atheist?

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
and the moral issue will go round and round.

Especially since I dont believe tarrot cards, or divinations is evil to begin with. and thats the problem with the pit bull. A pit bull that has been seen bitting someone, is a bit more tangible than the belief that a pit bull can be dangerous because you have been told a pit bull can be dangerous. Pit bulls can often be very nice, kind dogs.

The Deck or divination is no more dangerous than the bible or a worshiping christian. Both can be dangerous, or they might not be.

Dont forget that, again, many groups that destroy "heathen" things also burn bibles.

I do not see this deck as being "dangerous" enough to warent the destruction of possibly a weeks worth of food for a hungry person.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.