wantegrow

Jan 2, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dear all,

I've been really perplexed over a problem recently, and after much thought, and typing out pages and pages of pros and cons, I still find it hard to settle on a decision. Would greatly appreciate if you could give me some advice and also remember me in prayer...

I started a doctor of education programme slightly more than a year ago. I never thought of working and studying part-time, because I thought it would be too taxing. When my boss encouraged me to start the course, I was very touched that he thought about my future, and thought it might be God showing me the way through him (My boss is a very good Christian. He told me honestly that my studying would be a win-win situation, because I could continue to help him, and it would also open doors for me.)

The first year was mainly modules and assignments, no real data-collection yet. It was very tiring, but I managed to do well, scoring high distinctions in most assignments.

However, my health has deteriorated quite significantly, so has my social life. Ever since I started working in the present committee, I have been working very hard. It is one of the most high-involvement committees in school, and we work throughout the year. With such a full load and all the assignments, I had little time for my family and boyfriend. I also would also fall sick about once a month.

Now that I've completed the coursework, I am really beginning to wonder if this is what I want. School life has been so taxing, that I am no longer even sure whether I want to stay in education for the long haul (teachers work very hard in my country, often burning weekends and night).

In the months after my last assignment, I enjoyed my life much more. I had time with my boyfriend, we could work out issues better. I fell sick less. I had more time to pray and watch sermon podcasts... I had time to exercise. I could spend time with my family, especially when my sisters come back to visit us.

Going ahead with the EdD might not be as tiring as the first year, as things are always harder at the start, but I find it so hard to go on.

I need to pilot a test with 200 students this year. and mark the 200 scripts a few times (measuring different variables). I need to find volunteers to mark scripts for a token fee. Next year, I'll need about 100 students again to do the real test, and I need to test the same students three times. I need do statistics (which I haven't learnt) and write chapters. I'm not sure if the students will willingly stay to do the test, because I won't be teaching most of them, it will be an imposition. I'm afraid that I'll take 5 years to complete the progamme, which is quite the norm, although the recommended was 4. I'm afraid I'll burn out halfway (given the heavy workload that I'm doing).

I do not enjoy my work in the committee, because I'm not doing what I like/am good at. I wanted to do something else, but my boss fought to get me in the team.

I do not enjoy collecting data. I've always hated data collection. In my undergraduate days, I would choose research topics that only require me to examine texts.

Also, I really feel that I want to leave this school. If I don't move around early in my career (try to work in different places), I'll find my options very limited later on.

Most of all, I know that I'm a perfectionist who tends to get very absorbed in my work. With work alone, I'm still able to manage, but with the studying, I find that I'm thinking about work and studies nearly all the time. I say "no" to gatherings and minimise other commitments so that I can finish my work.

I'm thinking of leaving my school to seek a posting elsewhere for more exposure, and at the same time, take a break from a hectic life. Was thinking perhaps I can exit with Masters and then study full-time next time and do a PhD in linguistics or Philo, which would be mainly about data collection...

It seems like a good idea, but I'm afraid to drop the course. I find it hard to give up; at the same time, I find it hard to imagine continuing because I know I'm going to sacrifice so many things, but there is no guarantee that I'll need this cert. Afterall, I may feel so sick of everything that I just quit teaching all together.

Have been stuck in this dilemma for a while but I still feel no peace in my heart, even though I think you can probably tell my preference.

Please do pray for me, and I would really really appreciate your godly counsel.

Sorry for such a long post...

toojoyful

Mar 14, 2010
At the feet of Jesus
✟15,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear all,

(My boss is a very good Christian. He told me honestly that my studying would be a win-win situation, because I could continue to help him, and it would also open doors for me.) However, my health has deteriorated quite significantly, so has my social life. Ever since I started working in the present committee, I have been working very hard. It is one of the most high-involvement committees in school, and we work throughout the year. With such a full load and all the assignments, I had little time for my family and boyfriend. I also would also fall sick about once a month. Now that I've completed the coursework, I am really beginning to wonder if this is what I want. School life has been so taxing, that I am no longer even sure whether I want to stay in education for the long haul (teachers work very hard in my country, often burning weekends and night).

In the months after my last assignment, I enjoyed my life much more. I had time with my boyfriend, we could work out issues better. I fell sick less. I had more time to pray and watch sermon podcasts... I had time to exercise. I could spend time with my family, especially when my sisters come back to visit us.

I find it so hard to go on. I do not enjoy my work in the committee, because I'm not doing what I like/am good at. I wanted to do something else, but my boss fought to get me in the team. I do not enjoy collecting data. I've always hated data collection.

Also, I really feel that I want to leave this school. If I don't move around early in my career (try to work in different places), I'll find my options very limited later on. I'm thinking of leaving my school to seek a posting elsewhere for more exposure, and at the same time, take a break from a hectic life. Was thinking perhaps I can exit with Masters and then study full-time next time and do a PhD in linguistics or Philo, which would be mainly about data collection...It seems like a good idea, but I'm afraid to drop the course.

Have been stuck in this dilemma for a while but I still feel no peace in my heart, even though I think you can probably tell my preference.

Please do pray for me, and I would really really appreciate your godly counsel.

Blessings Wantegrow,

I took the time to remove most of your post and would like you to go back and reread what you are really saying. This will help you to see what burden you have been carrying and you maybe able to see your problem clearer.

The first most important thing is your boss is a Christian. I advise you first to fast and pray, asking God to give you the courage to ask your boss for a meeting, there you will be able to lay on the table the things thats effecting you. You may find out that in the mist of it all God will touch his heart and maybe some of the work load can be shared. Or it maybe found best for you to be released with blessings. Also, you maybe granted a chance to remain as a help mate, a not demanding area. Whatever the case, listen to God!!

One of our greatest mistakes we make in life, is allowing someone to speak in our life what they see in us. We find it an honor to be selected and that light shined upon us. What we must learn to do is be thankful, then go into prayer seeking God on what road to take.

When we take on too much of a load, stress slips in and as you see above in your post, it effects more than our health, it puts us in a 'searching for light in a foggy atmosphere.' We must learn that when we have done all that we can in situations, and things keep nagging at us, its not always Satan. It could be the Holy Ghost telling you to slow down, pull over and weight in what God has to say.

The Word tells us to: Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thy own (and someone else) understanding. In all thy way acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your path....Proverbs 3:5-6.

Remember: Burdens are heavy tasks that God never meant for us to carry.

Let's pray:

Heavenly Father, thank you so much for being our burden bearer. We come today asking You to release peace and boldness into Wantegrow's spirit so the right choice will be made. Please grant favor on her behalf concerning her meeting with her boss. Let the Holy Ghost govern her and her boss heart so that what is best not only for Wanegrow, but for the school and the project to be successful. We want only You to receive all the honor and glory. In Jesus Name, Amen!!

Upvote 0

wantegrow

Jan 2, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you, Toojoyful, for taking the time to analyse my problems! really grateful for your help.

I spoke to my boss about my workload before. He's a very driven man who believes we should not allow our mindsets to limit our abilities. So when I asked if my load could be reduced, he told me to change my mindset and see that I'm a Mercedes/Lexus... and then he compared me with another colleague, who is doing many things and studying too, and said I'm not inferior to him...

Of course, I didn't manage to get a workload reduction. And as long as I stay in this school, it'll be hard for me to transfer to another team. (and they'll probably just put me in another high-involvement committee, having established that I'm a workhorse...)

It seems to be that dropping the course and leaving for somewhere else might be better in the long run, because I'll not be burned out, and if my life is balanced (with good health, relationships and spiritual state), I'll be able to go further and not throw in the towel halfway...

But it's so hard to give up the course... because I've put in a lot of work...

How long do you think a person can last being unhappy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

toojoyful

Mar 14, 2010
At the feet of Jesus
✟15,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I spoke to my boss about my workload before.

It seems to be that dropping the course and leaving for somewhere else might be better in the long run, But it's so hard to give up the course... because I've put in a lot of work...

How long do you think a person can last being unhappy?
Blessings Wantegrow,

You are welcome, but I give God all the honor, its all about Him.

Now lets talk about the above:
Did you talk with him after you had fasted and prayed? Also, you are speaking in action mode, then turning around with the stall mode. Thats why its IMPORTANT to fast and pray , or pray and seek God on what is the best choice for you. Establishing a strong personal relationship with Jesus, will allow you to become familiar with His and the Fathers voice. Reading and studying the Word allows you to become aware of all blessings available to you and strengthen you in times of need. It also allows the Holy Ghost to bring back remembrance to you and give divine instructions from the Father. You wouldn't be the gifted student you are if you didn't use the tools set forth at school. Then why would you not use all the tools God has set forth for you to not only live a successful life, but also a successful supernatural life?

How long do I think a person can remain unhappy? That has happened for ages. Thats probably where the: 'I should have'...'the would have'...'the could have' phases came from. It should not be so because God gave His Son, not only to save us, but to also set us free and he who the Son sets free is free indeed...thats in His Word (find it and read it)!! He came so that we may have life....life more abundantly... thats in His Word (find it and read it)!!:thumbsup:

Before I close, I must ask, have you received Christ as your Savior? Do you attend a Bible base church established in teaching the word of God?

If no let me lead you to Christ through this short prayer:
Heavenly Father, I come with thanksgiving that You gave Your Son for me.
I want the blessing in which Your Son gave His Life for me. That blessing will free me from sin and Jesus will enter in my life, restoring me back in the right standing with You. I repent of all my sins and thank You for setting me free. In Jesus Name, :amen:
Find a Bible base church that teaches the uncomplicated (nothing in Gods word is hard) Word of God.

Know that you are blessed and highly favored,
Joyful

Upvote 0

homewardbound

Sep 8, 2004
Sweet Home Alabama
✟10,169.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to go with a couple of hunches.

1) You're young...probably in your 20s
2) You're trying to live up to someone else's expectations

I counsel young people at work sometimes, and I'm amazed at how many of them seem to think they need to get established and on the road to a successful career immediately....at the ripe "old" age of 25 or 26. If you are around that age, you have so much time ahead of you. There is no need to rush things. Sometimes God wants us to wait.

If you are allowing God to guide your steps, you know what the right decision is. Don't allow others (including society in general) to define success for you. Remember that as Christians we should strive first for significance. Success is secondary. I know janitors and delivery men who are far more significant that highly-educated professionals.

Upvote 0

wantegrow

Jan 2, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks both. Yes, I'm in my 20s, and I must admit I'm often afraid of disappointing my boss. He's been a good boss (only too workaholic) and I do feel rather loyal to him. Only I suspect what deems fit for my life doesn't exactly fit what I want. And now that I'm halfway through, and beginning to feel the conflict between different goals, I find it difficult to proceed forward or backward.

I have been praying quite a bit about this. Sometimes a few times in a day. I'm sorry if I appear to be like an unbeliever who refuse to hear from God. Actually I do strive to seek God. I read the Bible quite often, and I pray every day. I attend a church with sound teaching. I read Christian books. It's easy to know the theory, but sometimes reasoning can go either way.

Some people say I should quit, since I'm not maintaining the right balance. Others say I should stop worrying and learn to trust God, since i'm sort of still coping. I probably can tighten up some processes here and there and regain my balance. They tell me if I give up this chance, it may never come back again, when I get tied down with other commitments in life. They are all Christians, and everyone's views make sense. I guess you are right, I should seek God more intently.

Appreciate your advice. Yes, I think it did occur to me that God-willing, I will have at least 30 more years to go, guess I need to let God show me what's important in life.

Thanks for your prayer and support...

Upvote 0

homewardbound

Sep 8, 2004
Sweet Home Alabama
✟10,169.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying quite a bit about this. Sometimes a few times in a day. I'm sorry if I appear to be like an unbeliever who refuse to hear from God. Actually I do strive to seek God. I read the Bible quite often, and I pray every day. I attend a church with sound teaching. I read Christian books. It's easy to know the theory, but sometimes reasoning can go either way.

Some people say I should quit, since I'm not maintaining the right balance. Others say I should stop worrying and learn to trust God, since i'm sort of still coping. I probably can tighten up some processes here and there and regain my balance. They tell me if I give up this chance, it may never come back again, when I get tied down with other commitments in life. They are all Christians, and everyone's views make sense. I guess you are right, I should seek God more intently.

You don't appear to me to be an unbeliever who isn't listening to God. When big decisions are in front of us it is often hard to discern God's answer to our prayers because there are so many competing thoughts and emotions.

You said some people say you should quit, others say you should continue, and your boss has apparently has some expectations for you. If you try to please everyone, or go with the "majority decision", then you have left God out of it and possibly ignored His plans for you. How can anyone tell you this is your only chance to get your doctorate? They don't know the future any more than you do...only God does.

So, keep praying. Answers don't always come right away. If you can devote 10 minutes of your prayer time each day to just this one thing, with no other distractions, I think you'll find your answer soon.

Upvote 0

wantegrow

Jan 2, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dear Toojoyful and Homewardbound,

I want to thank you for praying for me and reminding to draw near to God. These few days, I tried to seek God more intently. Got a bible software and spent more time in prayer. It's amazing how just tuning in can help me hear Him, and I recalled the joy and delight that I used to have just being at His feet. And He reminded me that He loves me and He's with me.

I think I will not continue with the EdD. I am too work oriented, and I don't want to spend all my time on my career. I am counting on God to direct the way my career develops.

Thanks again for your prayers. Praise God, who reveals Himself to us when we draw near Him...

Upvote 0

toojoyful

Mar 14, 2010
At the feet of Jesus
✟15,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I want to thank you for praying for me and reminding to draw near to God. These few days, I tried to seek God more intently. Got a bible software and spent more time in prayer. It's amazing how just tuning in can help me hear Him, and I recalled the joy and delight that I used to have just being at His feet. And He reminded me that He loves me and He's with me.

I think I will not continue with the EdD. I am too work oriented, and I don't want to spend all my time on my career. I am counting on God to direct the way my career develops.

Thanks again for your prayers. Praise God, who reveals Himself to us when we draw near Him...

Just amazing...God and His Word is soooooo amazing!! And it will remain amazing as you continue to seek and knock with a graceful heart and a deep desire..."Oh that I may know Him and His wondrous works ."

Everything you need baby girl is all wrapped up in the Lord! They are gifts that He has prepared for all His kidz and He is just waiting for you to open them.

Let's pray:

Father, Wantegrow and I come rejoicing in Your presence. Our thanksgiving overflows in an place where only those who truly know and seek You shall find peace for a weary soul. For Your Son is not a man that He should lie, nor the son of a man that He have to repent. If its in Your Word all we have to do is believe and it shall come to pass. We thank You for all that You have done for us....and to that we give You all the praise, honor and glory. In Jesus name, :amen:.

Wantegrow,
Know that you are a blessed and highly favored woman in the Lord,
Joyful

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have personal experience with physical problems resulting from work stress... both my father and me. It's a struggle for me to figure out the right level of effort that is not complacent, but not burning me out. One job I held previously was poison... it really drained the life out of me. I wish I had the answers for you, but all I can say is make sure you have a work/life balance. Oh, and "vexing" is a great word! I really need to use it more. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

homewardbound

Sep 8, 2004
Sweet Home Alabama
✟10,169.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

God bless you in your walk with Christ...wherever He leads you.

Upvote 0
T

Thankful For Grace

Dear wantegrow,

I just now have read all of the posts on your thread, and am praising God that you were able to hear from Him concerning your choice.

Not my place at all to advise you, other than to say that this earth and its attainments are not what is important--what is important is that our focus be on eternal perspectives. God uses everyone who chooses to relinquish his or her life completely. Sometimes, He chooses to use those who pursue what the world calls education. Most of the time, He uses those the world count as 'nothing'.

He uses, in His own words, "the foolish things of the world to confound the wise." Oftimes, He chooses to allow those who are 'educated' to recognize just how 'foolish' they really are without Him!

Blessings to you as you go forward with your Christian journey. The smartest thing you can EVER do is to give your heart completely to Jesus Christ, and give your years to learning of Him and serving Him.

In Christ's Love,

TFG

Upvote 0