• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Advice needed

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Lately people I'm very close to (friends and extended family etc) have written on facebook stereotypical things about why they don't like the idea about being christian and how "if there was a God then why did I go through- *whatever they went through* " and it makes me mad and upset because I'm a Christian and what they say us nothing like how it actually is and it makes me sad that they don't notice how God is actually working in certain areas of their lives instead of the one spot their focused on... And because of their doubt in Christ, they've declared they are Atheist. And it makes me so saddened that they have fallen astray from the Lord... What can I do?

Reactions: psalms 91

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,277,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
First off ya start with prayer not only that their heart will be softened but also that you might have the right words at the right time.

People learn quick that theology is my favorite subject and that if they bring up the subject I will open up the conversation.

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Tigger45 said:
First off ya start with prayer not only that their heart will be softened but also that you might have the right words at the right time.

People learn quick that theology is my favorite subject and that if they bring up the subject I will open up the conversation.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
After a really painful experience the "Why?" and "Where was God?" questions are matters of the heart, not the mind. Listen to their story, draw alongside of them, don't debate doctrine, just let them ask. Empathise, offer what you can to be there for them. It's only as the heart comes to rest more, which can take time, that conceptual issues can be looked at again.

A book like "The Dream Seller" might prod some freh thinking. It is not an overtly Christian book, but it is insightful and provokes fresh thinking.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Johnnz said:
After a really painful experience the "Why?" and "Where was God?" questions are matters of the heart, not the mind. Listen to their story, draw alongside of them, don't debate doctrine, just let them ask. Empathise, offer what you can to be there for them. It's only as the heart comes to rest more, which can take time, that conceptual issues can be looked at again.

A book like "The Dream Seller" might prod some freh thinking. It is not an overtly Christian book, but it is insightful and provokes fresh thinking.

John
NZ

Ok, I'll look into that :) I'm just so concerned because these were people that were raised by strongly religious parents who are now falling astray...

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God says: "not everyone that says: Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom"; which is saying that profession of Christ is not the same as possession of Christ. One should not assume that one who is raised in a Christian household, or who goes to church meetings some, is a real Christian just because of their feeble religious efforts toward God.

If one takes note of John 1, John 3, John 14, etc. they might see a difference between those who flirt a bit with Christianity and ones who are true believers in the Savior. Souls must be devoted to Jesus Christ and have made Him their Savior and hope forever. Then the Spirit of God will be upon them.

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
1watchman said:
God says: "not everyone that says: Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom"; which is saying that profession of Christ is not the same as possession of Christ. One should not assume that one who is raised in a Christian household, or who goes to church meetings some, is a real Christian just because of their feeble religious efforts toward God.

If one takes note of John 1, John 3, John 14, etc. they might see a difference between those who flirt a bit with Christianity and ones who are true believers in the Savior. Souls must be devoted to Jesus Christ and have made Him their Savior and hope forever. Then the Spirit of God will be upon them.

I know, I'm just surprised that they declared (if that's the right word) themselves atheist... But why? Is my question. God is so good! In so many ways!! He's more than good, but I can't even describe the word... I know he is always knocking, but what if they get too 'atheist' (if you understand what I'm trying to say) and dont even bother to even peek through the peep hole of the door to see who's been knocking for so long... And they say they have all these problems.. And it bugs me cause I wanna say, "just give all your cares to Jesus and he will take care of you!" but even if I did, they won't listen, because they are Atheist now, and they won't even hear Christian advice... :( I'm in such a pickle... What can I do other than prayer? I've been praying, but I feel as if I'm obligated to do more, (because some of these people are actually extended family, not just friends) but what can I do?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟908,675.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I know, I'm just surprised that they declared (if that's the right word) themselves atheist... But why? Is my question. God is so good! In so many ways!! He's more than good, but I can't even describe the word... I know he is always knocking, but what if they get too 'atheist' (if you understand what I'm trying to say) and dont even bother to even peek through the peep hole of the door to see who's been knocking for so long... And they say they have all these problems.. And it bugs me cause I wanna say, "just give all your cares to Jesus and he will take care of you!" but even if I did, they won't listen, because they are Atheist now, and they won't even hear Christian advice... :( I'm in such a pickle... What can I do other than prayer? I've been praying, but I feel as if I'm obligated to do more, (because some of these people are actually extended family, not just friends) but what can I do?

Why? Because you could be stood in front of the most beautiful painting but be ignorant to its existence and splendor if your eyes are closed.

Just look at the news and Islam; We only ever see the bad when there are over a billion Muslims that aren't bad. My best friend growing up is Muslim and his family were the nicest. Similar experiences since.

People fear that which they do not know and it's easier to pick fault and repeat what others have said than it is to look both outwardly and inwardly.

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
James Tiberius Kirk said:
Why? Because you could be stood in front of the most beautiful painting but be ignorant to its existence and splendor if your eyes are closed.

Just look at the news and Islam; We only ever see the bad when there are over a billion Muslims that aren't bad. My best friend growing up is Muslim and his family were the nicest. Similar experiences since.

People fear that which they do not know and it's easier to pick fault and repeat what others have said than it is to look both outwardly and inwardly.

That's a good way to look at it :) but what am I to do?

Upvote 0

Carmenere

Dec 23, 2014
Florida
✟16,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Don't worry and leaves those obligations to God. I have been praying the same prayer for these three men in my life. I'm tired of hearing this prayer. I'm going to pray for these men while I'm still on earth. LOL But I'm telling you, perseverance, keeping praying and put a smile on your face. :) You have church and Christian friends that will support you when you feel flustered and all these emotions. LOL I hope this helped. I laid here thinking for a long time about your post and what to write.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟908,675.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That's a good way to look at it :) but what am I to do?

I think what's best with people that decided on the matter is to be gentle.

Preaching at them or giving them the feeling you're talking down at them from a higher ground is what a lot of people do, even if harmlessly and unbeknownst to them, but it will just push them further away.

So what I would do is tell them politely that you disagree and you're more than willing to discuss why with them in private.

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Carmenere said:
Don't worry and leaves those obligations to God. I have been praying the same prayer for these three men in my life. I'm tired of hearing this prayer. I'm going to pray for these men while I'm still on earth. LOL But I'm telling you, perseverance, keeping praying and put a smile on your face. :) You have church and Christian friends that will support you when you feel flustered and all these emotions. LOL I hope this helped. I laid here thinking for a long time about your post and what to write.

Thanks ! ;) <3

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE &amp;lt;3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think what's best with people that decided on the matter is to be gentle.

Preaching at them or giving them the feeling you're talking down at them from a higher ground is what a lot of people do, even if harmlessly and unbeknownst to them, but it will just push them further away.

So what I would do is tell them politely that you disagree and you're more than willing to discuss why with them in private.

That's a good idea :)

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟908,675.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That's a good idea :)

It's much better, at least in my opinion, to get people on their own instead of a crowd on a status anyway. Pack mentality and all that and I'd imagine people of a staunch opinion are much less likely to be curious or maybe even make concessions in front of other people that know them as whatever person they've been for however long.

Upvote 0

Aquadoodle

LEE &amp;lt;3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's much better, at least in my opinion, to get people on their own instead of a crowd on a status anyway. Pack mentality and all that and I'd imagine people of a staunch opinion are much less likely to be curious or maybe even make concessions in front of other people that know them as whatever person they've been for however long.

Yeah I think so too

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Declaring atheism is like picking teams. They might not realize there's a transitional option, where they don't need to be in one box or another immediately. They can be thinking, evaluating, exploring, trying.

To steer them away from the pigeonholing, avoid statements that trigger competition -- debates, declaring a group completely wrong. Your goal can be discipleship, rather than winning souls to a side; bringing God's presence into situations, where people can see His glory and intent.

Pack mentality... much less likely to be curious

Upvote 0

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟24,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Job's friends come to mind.

I've been on the receiving end of Job's comforters, and I can give some insights here:

1. Part of the problem is they just don't know what they're talking about.
2. The other part is they won't listen.
3. The root problem is they won't admit that they don't know what they're talking about.

Even if you do this privately, you're not helping if your attitude is you know better than the one who is actually suffering.

I never give advice on matters i haven't dealt with personally. I don't presume to know what it's like to be someone else.

Upvote 0