Chatsworth
✟10,452.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
(I'm not recently divorced. It's been 3 years. I've already grieved and got through that part. I haven't dated since)

As a man that always believed whole heartedly that he would never be divorced how in the world am I supposed to approach dating? God used my divorce to change my heart, make me a better person and raised the bar for my next wife. I have only been talking to strong Christians. Some very strong in their walk. I've met several that haven't even been with a man before. (I'm 26 and in my age range that's surprising) but it has me thinking. How can I possibly ask a women to accept my marred, hideous story? Especially if they've never been married or had sex before? I desire a wife greatly but I quite bluntly don't deserve the type of person I believe God has called me to seek out.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(I'm not recently divorced. It's been 3 years. I've already grieved and got through that part. I haven't dated since)

As a man that always believed whole heartedly that he would never be divorced how in the world am I supposed to approach dating? God used my divorce to change my heart, make me a better person and raised the bar for my next wife. I have only been talking to strong Christians. Some very strong in their walk. I've met several that haven't even been with a man before. (I'm 26 and I'm my age range that's surprising) but it has me thinking. How can I possibly ask a women to accept my marred, hideous story? Especially if they've never been married or had sex before? I desire a wife greatly but I quite bluntly don't deserve the type of person I believe God has called me to seek out.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Okay, here is my story. I came from a poor, dysfunctional family, never really had the option of dating (no money, no car). When I finally did find a girl when I was in my early-to-mid 20's, she was like me, from a poor, dysfunctional family, but the differences ended there. She had been sexually abused (horribly raped repeatedly) during her childhood. She had blocked most of it out of her memory, and though she thought she could marry and have a normal life, the day we married she changed. She went from this girl everyone else thought was so sweet, into a hateful you-know-what in private. All her years of abuse and pent up rage became directed at me. I knew it wasn't her fault, but I could not live that way. I was at a total loss. I was not allowed to touch her, and she refused even casual hugs (which she had allowed publicly before). I was living with a girl who hated me more than anyone alive. (And yes, I knew that she was not to blame, and the fault was some other man's, yet I was the target of her hatred, and I was paying for his sin debt - a debt I could not bear.) I got her to go to counselling at the church we went to. The associate pastor who had done sexual abuse counselling for about 20 years said she was the worst case he had ever come across. Another counselor said pretty much the same thing - no hope. To make a long story short, I remember the day God told me to get out of the marriage, just to save my own life. (One or both of us were likely to kill or be killed by the other if things went on much longer. I had come to hate being around her, and I would not turn my back on her at times for fear of what she might do. I had seen the rage in her eyes while she was holding a kitchen knife once, and that was enough.)

Anyway, after I divorced her I went through a much-needed time of healing. But I was now considered 'tainted' by the church I went to - even though one of the pastors there told me that I had endured much more than any of the pastors there would have ever put up with. To me when you got married, it was like opening a Christmas present, you didn't know exactly what you would get, but it was suppose to be something special. In my case, however, it was like opening the box and finding out that your present had been completely smashed by someone else, and then on top of that, everyone else around you who had opened a nice present told you that you had to keep your worthless present and could not trade it in, even though it was totally dysfunctional and useless. All this coming from people who had not a clue what I was living through.

Anyway, I say all this to say that this experience changed me in ways few will ever understand. Though I wanted to have a wife (a true wife), I knew that I needed time to heal. And I reset my bar for marriage; I no longer wanted a pretty girl like the first one, I just asked God to send me someone who didn't hate me. That was my only request of God, "God, I do not want to be hated". (A lot of people really need to think about what I just said.) If she loved me, that was the main thing, she did not have to be a beauty queen. And you know, God eventually gave me the most beautiful (to me) loving wife that I could have ever hoped for. So set your bar on a woman who loves you and whom you can love - and who loves God like you do. A lot of other things, like beauty or wealth will not matter in the long run.

As a note: I do pray occasionally for this girl from 30+ years ago. She had more problems than either of us could deal with, and I have asked God to have a special level of grace for her - and not so much for the jerk who did things to her. There is more to the story, but I will stop here. Just be patient, and when you are not looking, God will answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Haramis

Dancing on Rainbows
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2012
✟57,966.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
^ Don't understand why one extreme experience prompts the opposite extreme. Why not look for someone you're attracted to, who is also a nice, loving person? I think there's a whole new set of problems if you marry someone you like as a friend, but have no attraction to.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Paperthinhymn

When life is in discord, praise ye the Lord
Nov 20, 2016
Chatsworth
✟10,452.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Advice for dating after divorce.....don't
I've honestly considered that but it is very obvious to me that I haven't been given the gift of singleness.

Upvote 0

Paperthinhymn

Nov 20, 2016
Chatsworth
✟10,452.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, here is my story. I came from a poor, dysfunctional family, never really had the option of dating (no money, no car). When I finally did find a girl when I was in my early-to-mid 20's, she was like me, from a poor, dysfunctional family, but the differences ended there. She had been sexually abused (horribly raped repeatedly) during her childhood. She had blocked most of it out of her memory, and though she thought she could marry and have a normal life, the day we married she changed. She went from this girl everyone else thought was so sweet, into a hateful you-know-what in private. All her years of abuse and pent up rage became directed at me. I knew it wasn't her fault, but I could not live that way. I was at a total loss. I was not allowed to touch her, and she refused even casual hugs (which she had allowed publicly before). I was living with a girl who hated me more than anyone alive. (And yes, I knew that she was not to blame, and the fault was some other man's, yet I was the target of her hatred, and I was paying for his sin debt - a debt I could not bear.) I got her to go to counselling at the church we went to. The associate pastor who had done sexual abuse counselling for about 20 years said she was the worst case he had ever come across. Another counselor said pretty much the same thing - no hope. To make a long story short, I remember the day God told me to get out of the marriage, just to save my own life. (One or both of us were likely to kill or be killed by the other if things went on much longer. I had come to hate being around her, and I would not turn my back on her at times for fear of what she might do. I had seen the rage in her eyes while she was holding a kitchen knife once, and that was enough.)

Anyway, after I divorced her I went through a much-needed time of healing. But I was now considered 'tainted' by the church I went to - even though one of the pastors there told me that I had endured much more than any of the pastors there would have ever put up with. To me when you got married, it was like opening a Christmas present, you didn't know exactly what you would get, but it was suppose to be something special. In my case, however, it was like opening the box and finding out that your present had been completely smashed by someone else, and then on top of that, everyone else around you who had opened a nice present told you that you had to keep your worthless present and could not trade it in, even though it was totally dysfunctional and useless. All this coming from people who had not a clue what I was living through.

Anyway, I say all this to say that this experience changed me in ways few will ever understand. Though I wanted to have a wife (a true wife), I knew that I needed time to heal. And I reset my bar for marriage; I no longer wanted a pretty girl like the first one, I just asked God to send me someone who didn't hate me. That was my only request of God, "God I do not want to be hated". (A lot of people really need to think about what I just said.) If she loved me, that was the main thing, she did not have to be a beauty queen. And you know, God eventually gave me the most beautiful (to me) loving wife that I could have ever hoped for. So set your bar on a woman who loves you and whom you can love - and who loves God like you do. A lot of other things, like beauty or wealth will not matter in the long run.

As a note: I do pray occasionally for this girl from 30+ years ago. She had more problems than either of us could deal with, and I have asked God to have a special level of grace for her - and not so much for the jerk who did things to her. There is more to the story, but I will stop here. Just be patient, and when you are not looking, God will answer.
I wholeheartedly understand your analogy about the present and about how people viewed you after the divorce.
Thank you for your reply. I think oh hit the nail on the head. I should be patient, trust God and focus on Him. If he has a wife for me then He'll make it happen in His time.

Upvote 0

Paperthinhymn

Nov 20, 2016
Chatsworth
✟10,452.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Great testimonies of God working. And sounds like paperthin that your still in the early part of the story. Continue to love.
I definitely hope it's the early part because God has put a love in me for a future wife that's desperately waiting to be put into action.

Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wholeheartedly understand your analogy about the present and about how people viewed you after the divorce.
Thank you for your reply. I think oh hit the nail on the head. I should be patient, trust God and focus on Him. If he has a wife for me then He'll make it happen in His time.

Just be yourself. Focus on God and in his time He will bring you a good wife. I am very thankful for mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dr. Duderino

Jun 5, 2021
Windsor, Ontario
✟1,170.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I too feel the same way. Almost like having to back to school again and crack open a textbook. Arrhhh.
Well, as I am in the same boat I cannot counsel you as I too am seeking the same help.
But just know the red flags of abusive people, and steer clear of them. If a girl moves too quickly and too fast, is possessive and jealous, boastful and proud, always talking about herself, minimizing your needs and wants and making light of your interests, just run away.....
Find a humble, real, spiritually and emotionally mature Christian girl. God in his providence will draw you to her and her to you brother, take heart.

Upvote 0

HarrisJoel

Dec 21, 2020
NY
✟15,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Different couples, different fates. My main reason for the divorce was her unwillingness to have children. I found out late that she was taking pills and it was a real blow to me. Now I'm very careful to communicate on a dating site, you can view it now. I am rather inert as my past feelings are still strong. But I definitely understand that I need one that will not be against a large family. It is better to discuss such a moment before you spend your energy on a new person and start looking for attractive features.

Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟97,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think the best thing you can do is not to waste your marriage experience. What I mean by that is to take the things you learned you really want/don't want in a marriage and be vigilant in seeking them going forward. Have regrets and "I never should haves" about your previous relationship? Apply them as knowledge and discernment moving forward. That's my hope for my dating future anyways. I learned a lot about myself and life from a very bad situation. Lord-willing I can use it to find a truer reflection of Christ's love going forward.

Upvote 0