Advent starts on sunday, let us in on your preparations...

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Personally Im not to the biggest fan of the western Christmas celebrations as it has developed over the past century.
The IMHO disquisting and ever so increasing level of materialism attached to whats supposed to be a moment of great reveranse and reflection kind of ruins and get in the way of the real purpose of the feast, to contemplate on the birth of Christ.

All this being said however we cannot isolate ourself totally from the society around us so unfortunately Ill just have to adopt.
Im done giftshoping already, I see it as a huge hassle to be honest and because of that I use to postpone it until the 23rd of desember, but not this year:p
What a releef to be able to stress down instead of shopping in december.

So, this leads me to my intention with creating this thread.
Please share your christmas preparations with our brethren here at OBOB:)

How decorated is your house?
Do you place raindears on your front porch?
Do you have a crib anywhere?

Please share:)

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We decorate our house in mid-December, and don't decorate quite as much as we did when our kids were still living at home. My Christmas tree is filled with sentimental ornaments, many made by my children when they were growing up, and we have hand knit stockings with Santa's face woven in that my aunt had made when they were growing up. I have a collection of music boxes, and the Christmas ones are part of my decorations. We have a Nativity scene, and lots of angels.

Music has always been a big part of my Christmas, getting ready for the Christmas liturgies, playing at nursing homes, etc. We will probably attend some musical performances around town, too.

I like to pick ornaments off the Angel Trees and get gifts for people who really need them. So far I have a senior citizen ornament, but I'm sure I'll pick up a child's ornament this weekend. One of my friends just got custody of her two grandchildren and is in the process of adopting them. They are cute little boys, and I will get them gifts, too.

There are some good Advent calendars around that give reflections and ideas for the season, and I refer to them for Advent suggestions. The USCCB has an online calendar and a PDF calendar. Here is the link: http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/advent/

Here is an Advent examen:
http://www.ignatianspirituality.com/18250/advent-examen

Pinterest has tons of Advent calendars for children, some filled with "good deeds" that they can do each day.

I will keep my decorations up till mid January this year. I have family visiting from the East Coast in early January. When your family is far flung, you don't necessarily celebrate the holidays based on a calendar date--you do it when you can be together.

We are heading for St. Louis today and the weather prediction for our return on Saturday seems icky--we may stay till Sunday. On the bright side, St. Louis has an amazing parade each Thanksgiving, using Macy's balloons from the previous year. When I lived in St. Louis and was involved with clowning my friend and I marched in the parade and it was such a heartwarming (and calorie burning) way to begin the day! The weather report is good, and I hope to attend.

Happy Advent to you.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Personally Im not to the biggest fan of the western Christmas celebrations as it has developed over the past century.
The IMHO disquisting and ever so increasing level of materialism attached to whats supposed to be a moment of great reveranse and reflection kind of ruins and get in the way of the real purpose of the feast, to contemplate on the birth of Christ.

All this being said however we cannot isolate ourself totally from the society around us so unfortunately Ill just have to adopt.
Im done giftshoping already, I see it as a huge hassle to be honest and because of that I use to postpone it until the 23rd of desember, but not this year:p
What a releef to be able to stress down instead of shopping in december.

So, this leads me to my intention with creating this thread.
Please share your christmas preparations with our brethren here at OBOB:)

How decorated is your house?
Do you place raindears on your front porch?
Do you have a crib anywhere?

Please share:)
I agree, the commercial factor seriously needs to be played down. That's not even the primary thing about Christmas for me.

I've had three different Christmas playlists on my iPod- One for classical pieces and a couple of Christmas Mass chants, one for Christ-centric or explicitly Christmas songs (none of that Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, Chestnuts Roasting, Sleigh Ride, Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Silver Bells, Home for the Holidays, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Santa Baby, It's Cold Outside or any of that bullcrap) and one for the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack. I've been playing the you-know-what out of those playlists since Halloween.

Decorations are minimal so far (although the tree is up) but it's early still. To make up for that, I finished my third container of egg nog the other day. It's all about Southern Comfort egg nog... which makes it sound spiked. But it isn't. Totally alcohol-free. I want to put up a nativity diorama this year but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Nothing beats the atmosphere of Christmas for me. This is IT as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0

Jared R

Episcopalian
Aug 31, 2015
✟27,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the past, Advent was a time of fasting and penance. Being a wise virgin and getting ready for the bridegroom, etc. I usually try to do something similar to what I do during Lent, but I am under orders to "cool it" with penance, so this year my focus is on cultivating more interior silence and just being present with God.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Usually my family takes a Saturday and spends the day decorating the house. Even though my sister and I are moved out now, and she's married, we still all come together at my parents.

Typically it's the Saturday right after Thanksgiving, or the Saturday after that. My dad and I go out and search for a Christmas tree (we buy from a tree lot because our go-to is a Noble Fir). While we're out my mom and sister work on baking some things in the kitchen. Then my dad and I bring home the tree, trim it, set it up and hang lights on it. Then my mom and sister finish baking and start hanging ornaments and my dad and I will go outside and setup the exterior decorations.

Usually my dad's Johnny Mathis Christmas CD is playing in the background.

Then we end the day with a fire in the fireplace, some food, and we'll turn off all the lights except for the tree and sit and admire it for a bit.

Sometime in early/mid-December we'll all go drive around to different neighborhoods and see the Christmas lights. There's a couple of great spots here for that. We might go see the Nutcracker, but that's not a tradition or anything.

On Christmas Eve my whole extended family comes over for dinner, we exchange gifts, and have fun. Christmas morning it's just my immediately family, we hang out in our PJ's open gifts, eat my mom's traditional Christmas breakfast (baked pears with cinnamon and a dollop of vanilla yogurt, cinnamon roles, eggs, bacon and OJ), watch movies, enjoy a fire and then have Christmas dinner later (usually a prime rib roast or ham).

I'm looking forward to Mass this year. Usually my family goes to a Christmas Eve service, this will be my first Mass.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
9vin9g.jpg

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP

Neither am I , but I am afraid we are voices crying in the wilderness .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
In the past, Advent was a time of fasting and penance. Being a wise virgin and getting ready for the bridegroom, etc. I usually try to do something similar to what I do during Lent, but I am under orders to "cool it" with penance, so this year my focus is on cultivating more interior silence and just being present with God.
Glad you mentioned the A , F and P words . Advent , fasting , penance .

Advent is not Christmas . Christmastide begins as the sun sets on the Eve of Christmas Day .

A few years ago our then bishop requested that Christmas carols be sung in church when Christmastide had arrived and not during in Advent . His words probably fell on deaf ears in most parishes because people don't like to buck the trend of the rest of society .

When I was working I would not go on staff "Christmas Dinners" during Advent . I said that I would be only too happy to go during Christmastide . That used to meet with some disapproval , but so what ? They only came into work the following day whinging that they had been fleeced , and what a extortionate racket all this "Christmas malarkey" was becoming .

Then there's the "Christmas rush" . No need for it .

Those Christmas cards which I don't deliver by hand were posted yesterday . That's very early for me......the main reason being that last month I moved house , so the cards give me the opportunity to inform those I'm not in regular contact with .

My Christmas presents were bought a few months ago . So that's another part of the "rush" sorted .

I'm just back from Sunday Eucharist . The priest wore his purple vestments . And the whole focus of the Liturgy was on Advent , the Second Advent .......the coming of the Christ at the End so that God may be all in all. But there at the front of the church , next to the altar , was a Christmas tree with flashing fairy lights ......D'oh !

I wonder whether we will have a lighted Paschal Candle surrounded by Easter flowers , and singing Alleluias on the first Sunday of Lent . :sigh:

So Jared , enjoy your Advent focusing on cultivating more interior silence and just being present with God. Then I am sure you will better celebrate Christmas when it comes on December 25th .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Around here we have a tradition called "The Grand Illumination" that always happens on the First Sunday in December.
the last one i went to was several years ago in Colonial Williamsburg, and it was lovely.

Many of the houses in the area are decorated Colonial style with a plain wreath made from live sprigs of either pine, juniper, bayberry, or box and
tied with a red bow hanging from the upper sash outside the windows of every house.
(in Colonial Williamsburg itself the decorations are more lavish.)

Then on the inside of the house there's a single electric candle shining through the lower sash of each window,
waiting for the welcome Christ Child to appear.

At a pre-arranged time (after it's dark outside) all the Christmas lights on the trees and in the windows in town are lit as one,
(which is why it is called "The Grand Illumination")
and there are little groups of carolers who stroll around through the town singing carols, and fife and drum bands playing also.
There are bonfire barrels posted around the Commons area for warming cold hands, and hot mulled cider and donuts for snacking on.
It's really a great family time.

most of the houses have a big wreath on the front door--either a pine wreath or a magnolia wreath--and many of the houses are also decorated with a
fan of magnolia leaves, pineapple halves, citrus fruit, pine cones, and nuts over the front door.
we did that one year, and i learned why in Colonial Williamsburg they always use fake fruit.

the next morning we found claw marks on the pillars of our porch from the racoons trying to climb up to eat the fruit! :eek:

"The Grand Illumination" that always happens on the First Sunday in December.....all the Christmas lights on the trees and in the windows in town are lit as one .

Sorry , sister , but the first Sunday in December is in Advent , and the "Christmas" lights on the trees aren't Christmas lights because Christmas doesn't take place during Advent .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We buy a christmas tree each year. I love what represents the fir (the tree that never dies, very close to the message of Christmas). We also have a Nativity scene: each sunday of Advent we add 2 or 3 new characters. The house is very decorated and full of joy: we want to share our happiness to everyone: Jesus is coming! When my eldest brothers were still at home, we danced together some rocks for hours and it was awesome. Yet my youngest brother and my sister just sing (and my poor sister doesn't really sing very well...) but this is already good. During the Advent, we pray each evening all the family together around the Advent wreath. This is a nice period.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Advent is a time of joyful expectation. Prayer should certainly be a part of it, but, at a time of year when the needs in our communities and in the world are so great, I prefer "giving" to "fasting and penance." Opportunities to help children, the elderly, and families in need are calling us at every turn. And I would substitute "reconciliation" for "penance." In the upcoming weeks you may be seeing friends and family members you don't see throughout the year, and perhaps some with whom you've had difficulty. Pray for the grace to forgive--or to ask forgiveness of someone you've wronged. What a beautiful Christmas gift this would be.
With the icon of the Holy Family seeking shelter, and eventually traveling to Egypt as refugees, before us, and as we decorate our homes, let's think about what true hospitality is.
So that's my take on Advent--prayer, joyful giving, hospitality, compassion, reconciliation.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
"The Grand Illumination" that always happens on the First Sunday in December.....all the Christmas lights on the trees and in the windows in town are lit as one .

Sorry , sister , but the first Sunday in December is in Advent , and the "Christmas" lights on the trees aren't Christmas lights because Christmas doesn't take place during Advent .

i removed it. thank you.
now i'm going back to bed.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As is my custom, I'll put up my lights today. This sometimes returns unexpected dividends. One year while climbing up the ladder I spied two Bald Eagles passing high overhead (Backyard bird #98).

Advent is also a time I like to slow down. I quit listening to music and am content just to feel a breeze on my neck.

Who knows what else will go down? Sacred Time always promises it's own surprises.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Advent is also a time I like to slow down.

Slowing down is great , especially at a time of year when speed , haste and panic are often the course of action .

A version of the 23rd Psalm by Toki Miyashina........

The Lord is my pacemaker - I shall not rush.
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals:
He provides me with images of stillness,
Which restore my serenity.
He leads me in ways of efficiency
Through calmness of mind, and His guidance is peace.

Even though I have a great many things
To accomplish each day, I will not fret -
for His Presence is here:
His timelessness, His importance will keep me in balance.

He prepares refreshment and renewal
In the midst of my activity,
By anointing my mind with his oils of tranquility.
My cup of joyous energy overflows.

Surely harmony and effectiveness
Shall be the fruits of my hours;
For I shall walk in His house forever.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For me it's the start of Philip's Fast - time of preparation for the great Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord God and Saviour [ just to remind you - 7th January for us ]

We Fast again, though because of various Feast Day that occur i.e. today was St Matthew Apostle and Evangelist , we can have fish and wine on those days.

On St Nicholas Day it's customary to give some little gifts - particularly to Children to remind them of what St Nicholas actually did.

The Night before the Great Feast we have the Holy Supper - a very traditional Slavic custom - 12 meatless dishes , straw under the table to remind us of where Christ was born , and an empty place at the table for the Visitor Who might arrive.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From the USCCB's Advent pages:

November 30
  • As the work week begins, remember that Advent is a time to treasure because it's filled with treasures. Advent as an invitation to a more vibrant practice of your faith. One way to do that is to reflect on the Mass readings for each day, even if you can't attend daily Mass. Reflect on the readings for today and consider signing up for USCCB's free daily readings E-mail. You'll find the sign-up box at the bottom of every daily readings page.

• Make a Christmas gift list that includes fair trade items to support our brothers and sisters in developing countries and in the United States. For ideas, visithow you are called to participate in Christ's mission in the world.

• Today's Jesse Tree Symbol & Reading:
    The symbol for today’s reading is a field of stars, representing God’s promise to Abraham, the father of our faith, whose descendants became the chosen people of God. You can learn more about Abraham’s great faith in God in Genesis 12:1‐7and 15:1‐6.
    — Anne-Marie Welsh for Faith. . . magazine, published by the Diocese of Erie.
http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/advent/advent-november-30.cfm

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
for me it's more of a time of hibernation.
i need to find a place in church to just hide during mass.
that way someone can have my seat, i'll be out of the way,
and they can all carry on as usual.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
On St Nicholas Day it's customary to give some little gifts - particularly to Children to remind them of what St Nicholas actually did.

You also fest the Saint Nicholas? This is our biggest fest in my region! We have big festivities, gingerbread, parades and a very important pilgrimage. But this year almost everything is cancelled because of the attacks in Paris...

Upvote 0