Oct 22, 2009
Texas
✟15,113.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,
I guess I am considered a 'newbie' so HELLO to all those out there in the Christian Forum land!

As we approach Advent I am beginning to think about a discipline that I want to observe this season as well as starting a new tradition in our household.

I would love to hear about any disciplines and/or traditions that you have or will observe this year. I'm sure there is a wealth of fantastic ideas I haven't even thought about!

Many thanks and blessings ~

RestoreTheRiver

Contributor
Jun 3, 2007
Kokomo, Indiana USA
✟18,586.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF, and to STR!

It's good to find someone with the awareness that "little Lent" is one strong traditional aspect of the Advent season. Given that tradition, I look at both Lent and Advent as a time to focus on what I might gain in living in to all that God has already done for me, by increasing my focus; increasing the "practice of the presence of God."

This sometimes involves setting something aside that distracts me from loving God with all of my heart. It also often involves renewal in a particular spiritual discipline.

I haven't made plans for this Advent Season yet. Thank you for reminding me that it is all but upon us!

Michael

Upvote 0
K

KarinP

Hello everyone,
I guess I am considered a 'newbie' so HELLO to all those out there in the Christian Forum land!

As we approach Advent I am beginning to think about a discipline that I want to observe this season as well as starting a new tradition in our household.

I would love to hear about any disciplines and/or traditions that you have or will observe this year. I'm sure there is a wealth of fantastic ideas I haven't even thought about!

Many thanks and blessings ~

Although neither of my parents are Chrsitian they brought us up to observe Advent by singing carols by candlelight, including the light of the Advent candles on the fir wreath my mother always made and decorated. That has stayed with me and I love the cosy atmosphere.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheRiver

Contributor
Jun 3, 2007
Kokomo, Indiana USA
✟18,586.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This advent season I'll be hosting a centering prayer group once a week at church. It will be a good time to get closer to God as Christmas approaches.

This sounds like an excellent idea! May God richly bless this prayer group, as you reflect on the three comings of Christ.

Michael

Upvote 0