Adults: Do you read Children's/Young Adult books?

Do you read youth fiction?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mandrake

Brother Cattle Prod of Reasoned Discussion
Mar 5, 2006
✟17,078.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I love to go back to the Wizard of Oz series, mostly because I feel nostalgic reading it now since I spent so much time in it when I was younger. Alice in Wonderland is in the same category, and Harry Potter I picked up more recently and just really like. That's about it.

Upvote 0

scaryshiksa

Nov 8, 2006
✟7,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I read anything I can get my hands on that looks good, though since a lot of children's/youth books are so thin and I read so fast, I usually get them at used book/stuff stores and from libraries so I can return/donate them when I'm done if I don't think I'll need to read them again. There's a lot of non-classic youth books that are good that weren't written when I was younger, so what can I do except read them now?

Upvote 0

elf_lady_9

the book loving Elven Calvinist
Mar 13, 2006
in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just wanted to see if anybody else enjoys young adult fiction or children's books?
:)

OF COURSE!! :D children's books are awesome!! half the books on my bookshelf are kids literature. however, i'm technically not an adult until this December, so maybe i don't count. :p

Upvote 0

elf_lady_9

the book loving Elven Calvinist
Mar 13, 2006
in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
icbeckyc
OH MY GOSH! A Wrinkle In Time became a movie? I loved that book as a kid and I reread it a year ago, when I was trying to convince my daughter to read it. Don't forget the rest of the books in that series![Quote/]

Yep 2003 or 2004! http://www.amazon.com/Wrinkle-Time-...4/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/002-8929746-0544835?ie=UTF8
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290382/
"the seen things are only temporary,the unseen things are eternal"

There are a "series" of those books?

yup, and there's more besides just "A Wind at the Door" and "A Swiftly Tilting Planet". after those two comes "Many Waters", which is about Charles' and Meg's brothers, the twins, Sandy and Dennys. and after that one comes a whole other connected series set years later, about Meg's daughter, Polly. i think there's four more books. and then after you finish those, there's another series by Lengle which at first seems very different, but is strangely connected to the "Wrinkle in Time" series. The first book is called "Meet the Austins." The main character is Vicky Austin and the series is about her and her big, slightly disfunctional family and their adventures in growing up. at least that's what it seems to be about until you get to the third or fourth book, and the sci-fi fantasy-ish stuff starts setting it. this is the series that contains the book, "An Endless Ring of Light", which seems to be a bit more well known than the rest of them(it's the one about the dolphins) all of the books are really good, even though they do get a bit strange at times. :)

for a complete list of all the books see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_L'Engle

Upvote 0

InTheGarden

Nov 19, 2005
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
I love children's/young adult books. :) I have a couple of shelves in my room where I keep some handy. Right now I have:
All the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery
The Emily books by L.M. Montgomery
Various other L.M. Montgomery short stories and novels
The "Shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild
"The Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett
"The Saturdays" and "And Then There Were Five" by Elizabeth Enright
"Sport" and "The Long Secret" by Louise Fitzhugh ("Harriet the Spy" seems to be missing)
The Blythe Girls books by Laura Lee Hope
A couple of Raggedy Ann and Andy books
"The Bookshelf for Boys and Girls" (10 volumes of stories, poems, activities, etc)

I also had until recently a bunch of Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books there--I did finally box those up to save some space, and I figured they'd be available at the library anyhow if I decide to get rid of them.

I used to have all the Oz books too and wish I hadn't given them up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JamiArch

Jan 20, 2006
Long Beach, California
✟7,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have read plenty of those and still do. In fact, I got Ramona the Pest a couple days ago and finished it quickly. I had read it a long time ago and wanted it again.

I also like the Baby Sitters Club Series. I have two of the books now: #32 (the one where Kristy babysits an autistic girl) and #131? (the one where Mary Anne's house burns down).

I have many others I read but I'll end it here. I guess I am a kid/teenager by heart.

Upvote 0

Loner

Dec 31, 2005
Mars =)
✟15,954.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I was once told that I would never be able to read books at all due to a learning disabiallty, but there were books I wanted to read but were to hard for me at the time like the Lord of the Rings. So I started reading my little brothers books and slowly taught my self how to read. So I have a soft spot for books like Red Wall and I still realy like a Sires of Unfortent Events(Hated the movie, love the books). These days I am trying to find more adult stuff. but I am alos beggning to like The Cronicals of Naria books(have not seen the movie yet). In the end I pefer adult books but I will still read books for yonger readers if the plot interst me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OceanGirl

Nov 9, 2004
✟8,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As the children's lead for Barnes & Noble, it is important I stay up to date with my current stock. I read more kids books than any other types of books so I can recommend them to customers. It makes it easier for me to sell them when I can tell people what they are about without BSing. :p

Upvote 0

Woohaar

Mrs Kiwishaq
Jun 5, 2004
Whangarei
✟426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal favourites are:
The 'Alex Rider' series by Anthony Horrowitz
The 'Indian in the Cupboard' series by Lynne Reid Banks
Almost all books by Morris Gleitzman (especially Boy Overboard and Girl Underground)
The 'Artemis Fowl' series by Eion Colfer
Also enjoy Harry Potter books

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would hardly consider Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass as childrens books. Both are full of political satire that is goingot be missed by almost any childe and many adults.

Some Childrens books are good 'popcorn' reading. Many for young adults are excellent books.

Anyone here read Podkayne of Mars by Heinlein. In a way it points out a major flaw in many childrens books (and for that matter many adult books). Heinlein was forced by the publisher to change the ending and in so doing changed the entire message of the story.

That is one reason I sometimes stear clear of childrens books, they are often buffered and sugar coated.

Upvote 0