• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addicted to inappropriate contentography

apologia25

May 31, 2005
Uganda
✟15,324.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
Hey guys here are a few suggestions
Hem yourself in: the first thing you need to do is make a safety
net. You are the enemy. So you have to fight. Search for K9 Internet
Filter and download it. Set it up. Remember you're the enemy. Think of all the ways you might try to bypass it and block them. It has to be a password that you don't know. That's where an accountability partner comes in. You need to ask someone whether a sibling or a friend to be your password holder and creator.
Once he/she has set it up you have no way to access inappropriate contentography on your computer. Sin thrives in darkness! If you let someone know through being the password keeper that's shining a light so the sin can be dealt with. If you crack through the protection then you get your friend over and make it stronger then each time grows to be more impregnable. The idea is we don't have the strength to say no. An addict can't say no to drugs that are on the table. So it's about access control the access and you can have victory. Once the inappropriate content is lessened that's when you focus on memorizing scripture and praying and making yourself stronger.
Okay maybe you can put the filter on so what do you do? Realize the times that you fall and make your computer inaccessible at that time. If its late at night that you fall then at bed time before ten put your computer out of reach. Maybe your brothers room, maybe in your car. Just make it where its and effort to access. If you feel tempted while people are just outside your door then bring your computer amongst them remove the opportunity. That's it guys pray for ideas to remove the opportunity.

Upvote 0

Matthias2099

White Lantern
Oct 29, 2012
New Mexico
Visit site
✟7,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
apologia25 has some great ideas for personal responsibility.

But you also need to realize that an addiction to inappropriate contentography is like a drug addiction. Specifically like addiction to cigarettes. Smoking floods your brain with nicotine and you brain grows new nicotine receptors to take it all in. When you try to stop smoking, those receptors start to die off and the brain interprets that as YOU dying, so it freaks out, making quitting super difficult.

inappropriate contentography and sex addiction constantly floods your brain with adrenaline and the process works in much the same way.

This is a secret addiction, I know, but that's the main thing you need to combat. Celebrate Recovery, a Christian 12-step program, really helped me. There were others in the same boat, there was accountability, real/honest discussion, all stuff I really needed.

I can't suggest this enough to you. The program itself also helped me understand WHY I was stuck in that addiction and how to trust God more to get over it.

Prayers coming your way.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2012
Virginia
✟16,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't be frightened, child. I'm having the same problem as well. I know how you feel, and I feel the same. If man (in general) never decided to pose nude for inappropriate contentographic magazines, to be inappropriate content stars/strippers, shoot inappropriate contentographic movies, etc., we would never have to deal with such destruction of our minds and thoughts in this world. But since it exists, we just have to deal with it the best we can.

Upvote 0

peterdjames

Nov 13, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
✟15,113.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is hope. God promises to finish the work he began in you. It takes a long time and there are a lot of ups and downs, but he will do it. At the same time, you need to work hard as if he has given you the strength to do it (easier said than done, but remember it is him working in you). You are his child learning how to walk in new life. Parents don't get mad at their babies when they only take two steps and then fall. They rejoice. Take as many steps as you can and God will rejoice in your growth.

I recommend, in addition to a recovery group, a three pronged strategy for fighting lust (not just inappropriate content):

Flee
-Flee any lind of situation, thought, or desire that tends to make you fall
Fight for faith
-Fight to put yourself in situations that grow your faith/love in Christ
-Fight to have thoughts and desires that grow your faith
Unite with other men
-Find men in your local church that you can go to for prayer and encouragement
-Don't wait for them to ask you how you are doing. Be intentional in texting them when you need prayer

You're in my prayers. Your brother in Christ,
Peter

Upvote 0

Elijahrock

Dec 6, 2012
Richmond, VA
✟15,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
King Solomon had over 700 wives and 300 concubines, and despite his sin, he still had favor in the eyes of the Lord. I'm not saying it's right, but God will forgive you for inappropriate contentography. Sometimes when I get the urge to look at inappropriate contentography, I read what God has to say about sex and I find my "relief" there. Here are some good ones to get you started:

"I made you grow like a plant of the field. You grew up and developed and became the most beautiful of jewels. Your breasts were formed and your hair grew, you who were naked and bare." -Ezekiel 16:7

"I am a wall, and my breasts are like towers. Thus I have become in his eyes like one bringing contentment." - Song of Solomon 8:10

"Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." Ezekiel 23:19-20

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijahrock

Dec 6, 2012
Richmond, VA
✟15,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're not alone! I'm ashamed to say I partook in several homosexual acts when I was in high school. <staff edit> Thankfully the Christ has forgiven me. My path into the shadow of the valley of death took a turn for the worse when I met my "boyfriend", Josh. He was in my church youth group and also was struggling with sinful desires. During the summer after graduation we both went on the youth ministry retreat to rural Tennessee where we stayed in the same bunk.. <staff edit> Josh and I knew what we were doing was sinful, but somehow it just felt so right. We felt like we really loved eachother.. <staff edit> After that summer we agreed to each other that we couldn't go on living in sin. <staff edit> We both had our youth paster lay hands on us and pray. <staff edit> we yelled. We prayed and prayed until sweat was beading on our brows. After that experience we didn't feel much different, but we prayed dearly that God had delivered us from our desires. The weeks passed and I began to feel a change of heart. I met a girl from another church, Leslie. She's a larger girl (plays rugby), but she's very in-shape and muscular. Plus she's so dedicated to her faith.. she's read the Bible all the way through twice! I think I'm falling for her. She's not "pretty" per se, but her voice is buttery and soothing. She reads me my favorite book of the Bible, Leviticus, while I braid her hair. Anyway, things are going really well. <staff edit> I hope things work out for you too. He who began a good work in you will see it to completion in you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums