Adam: The Poll

In what sense is Adam and his fall real?

• Adam and his fall historically occurred, literally as recorded in Scripture.

• Adam and his fall historically occurred, but historical details differ from Scripture's retelling.

• Adam and his fall are typologically representative of man and his fall.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that Adam is a historical person. As has already been said, he is mentioned in the Lord's geneology. He is also mentioned in the book of Israel's Chronicles.

I regard evolution as a scientifically accurate theory, by the way. I don't see how I need to reject evolutionary biology to believe that there was a literal Adam, that his actions caused the fall of humanity, and (most importantly) that salvation is only possible by reconciliation to God through faith in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

harpcat

Jun 25, 2007
✟7,637.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
I only have one problem with Adam being a metaphor for mankind. He is listed in the genealogies (If I remember correctly) If he is just a metaphor, then at what point do the genealogies become literal?

That is quite a slippery slope.

SO far I am of the opinion that there was a literal Adam, though there were other hominids, maybe even self aware (as Elephants have proven to be) but that God "breathed" on Adam and thus began the impartation of the soul, and moral responsibility.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,902.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I only have one problem with Adam being a metaphor for mankind. He is listed in the genealogies (If I remember correctly) If he is just a metaphor, then at what point do the genealogies become literal?

Thoughts?
Sure. From a theological perspective, what does it matter whether the entire genealogy is historically accurate? :scratch:

Upvote 0

theIdi0t

Veteran
May 22, 2007
✟10,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That is quite a slippery slope.

SO far I am of the opinion that there was a literal Adam, though there were other hominids, maybe even self aware (as Elephants have proven to be) but that God "breathed" on Adam and thus began the impartation of the soul, and moral responsibility.

Thoughts?

To me Adam signifies the time when Yahweh made himself known to mankind. The time before this period is one that the Jewish tradition does not recognize. It's sort of like tracing your own family lineage, you start with your mother, then her mother, then her mother, then her mother....etc.....and some point you find a stop where her mother is a blur, is not present, where she does not take the form of one person, but mothers. The Gospels similarly trace Jesus' lineage to the time Yahweh made himself known to mankind.

I agree with you that Adam signifies the time when God imparted the soul, and moral responsibility into man, but I don't see Adam as a person, but persons.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.