Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Well, if any descendant of one of the 'souled' humans has a soul and if the souled and the soulless interbreed, then pretty quickly everyone would be souled.
Not sure that DNA contains "soul".

Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
It's not just that we share some physical features. A comparison of our DNA just screams that we descend from a common ancestor.
I know you from other sites and that you are a world-class authority when it comes to DNA and genetics, so I have great respect for your opinion. For many years I rubbished the idea that there was any connection between Adam and the lower primates, but now I'm having second thoughts.

You appear to have a new dog, so your other dog must have died - sorry about that; it ain't no fun losing a pet.

• Friendly
Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure that DNA contains "soul".
I don't mean DNA here, just genealogical descent. If two groups of people keep interbreeding, soon everyone has ancestors from both groups. If having even one ancestor from the 'souled' group means you have a soul, that means everyone has a soul after not too many generations. (How many generations depends on how large the populations are and how isolated different subgroups are. But unless there are completely isolated populations, everyone gets a soul this way.) This is the case even if you inherit zero DNA from that souled ancestor.

Mind you, I don't think this idea of physically inheriting a soul (even if not inheriting DNA) makes a lot of sense, but there are those who propose it.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You appear to have a new dog, so your other dog must have died - sorry about that; it ain't no fun losing a pet.
Yes, the old dog is dead -- and greatly missed. No new dog, though. I just haven't updated my profile pic. (But we did have a loaner dog for the past week while my son was out of town. Happy to have him, happy to send him back to my son.)

Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yes, the old dog is dead -- and greatly missed. No new dog, though. I just haven't updated my profile pic. (But we did have a loaner dog for the past week while my son was out of town. Happy to have him, happy to send him back to my son.)
Oh, I thought the dog in your avatar was a newbie, but it's the old dog? Sorry.
They say getting another dog is the best way to get over losing your old dog, but that's your biz.

Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I don't mean DNA here, just genealogical descent. If two groups of people keep interbreeding, soon everyone has ancestors from both groups. If having even one ancestor from the 'souled' group means you have a soul, that means everyone has a soul after not too many generations. (How many generations depends on how large the populations are and how isolated different subgroups are. But unless there are completely isolated populations, everyone gets a soul this way.) This is the case even if you inherit zero DNA from that souled ancestor.

Mind you, I don't think this idea of physically inheriting a soul (even if not inheriting DNA) makes a lot of sense, but there are those who propose it.
It's a real mysterious, grey area, I think.

But changing the subject slightly, if there were souless humans that shared a common ancestor with chimps and that led up to Adam, that would explain the scientific claims about humans using fire and primitive tools, etc, hundreds of thousands of years ago. Those humans obviously had some intelligence, but it took a long time to develop IQ to the "Adam" level, at which point God said, "This boy's finally ready for the 'soul' upgrade."

Fascinating stuff.

Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The Genesis story deals with the creation of meaning and purpose on earth, not with the ball of dirt. Everything I know suggests that there were pre-humans already existing, and Adam and Eve are the first (many) who conceived that we are children of God.
What are "pre-humans"?

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Everything I know suggests that there were pre-humans already existing, and Adam and Eve are the first (many) who conceived that we are children of God.
Adam and Eve had the breath of life. Genesis 2:7.

The verbs formed from the roots of these words (nafash and nasham ) mean "to breathe." The two words are found together in Genesis 2:7, which narrates how the first human (adam ) received the breath of life (nishmat ḥayyim ) from God and became a living soul (nefesh ḥayyah ).

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What are "pre-humans"?
He is talking about what science calls hunter gathers or primitive man compared to food producers of civilized man. In archeology some of the primate camping sites became a city. They had to follow the animal hurds around for dinner. Where modern man has domesticated farm animals that he raises for food. When I was growing up my mom would say if you don't behave I will cook your goose. I thought she meant she would tan our hide. What she was talking about was children would bond with farm animals that became a pet for them. If they were not good then they would cook their pet and serve it on the dinner table.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums