SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Actress Lashana Lynch Is the New 007 in the Upcoming James Bond
The James Bond franchise has been in need of a jolt for a while now, and there has long been speculation that once Daniel Craig steps down from the role, he could be replaced by Idris Elba. The idea of a black James Bond incensed many people though, from Rush Limbaugh to that guy who edited all women out of The Last Jedi, probably.

But in the upcoming installment, directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga of True Detective, Bond is indeed getting replaced, not by Elba but by British actress Lashana Lynch, according to the Mail on Sunday. Most recently, Lynch appeared as a fighter pilot in Captain Marvel, alongside Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,730,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
She’s not playing Bond. I’ve read all of the Bond novels. He’s never a black woman. But that doesn’t mean that a black woman cannot be 007. She just cannot be Bond.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,151,341.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
She’s not playing Bond. I’ve read all of the Bond novels. He’s never a black woman. But that doesn’t mean that a black woman cannot be 007. She just cannot be Bond.
There’s nothing that say James Bond at this point is nothing but a codename(given 50years and multiple different actors in the role). But I agree Jane Bond does not sound as good, and would really divide the audience, so I suspect it won’t happen.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,730,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I really wanted to like the Daniel Craig movies but... meh

I'm kind of interested to see what the director of True Detective season 1 can do with it.
I liked the first one. The others have been meh. :)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,730,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There’s nothing that say James Bond at this point is nothing but a codename(given 50years and multiple different actors in the role). But I agree Jane Bond does not sound as good, and would really divide the audience, so I suspect it won’t happen.
I like the idea that he’s a Time Lord.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Then James Bond and who plays him is moot then. Since this is about the code name, it doesn’t matter. Although I remember all the debates that raged when they cast someone as Bond who was not British. Or complaints because Bond was blond.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,730,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Then James Bond and who plays him is moot then. Since this is about the code name, it doesn’t matter. Although I remember all the debates that raged when they cast someone as Bond who was not British. Or complaints because Bond was blond.
From the article

“The idea of a black James Bond incensed many people though”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archarios

Jun 26, 2019
✟29,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So the big brains decide to take another established franchise, replace the main character with someone of another race using a flimsy justification to create a new... "path" for the franchise to walk down, a path that not even the woke left who demanded it will support very much or very long. Then dozens of "journalists" and thousands of twitter folk can point to lackluster ticket sales or discontent from series fans and say "See? See? See how racist America is?"

(Staff Edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The name's Bond. Jamie Bond. Jemny Bond. Jane Bond. Jo Bond.

Nope. Not working for me.
My first response (because I first saw Lynch in Captain Marvel) was they can't do this, you have to get a Brit... oh wait, she's British. Then I realized it was yet again another Brit playing a role as an American. Whether it's House, The Wire, Walking Dead, Star Wars, etc., a lot of "American accent roles" are played by Brits. I say bravo!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟615,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
From the article

“The idea of a black James Bond incensed many people though”
If they go through with it (which I doubt) they will learn the hard way that you don't mess with a movie icon.....it would be a one and done......

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,216.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Personally I think the other agents should get some screen time, too, but this is alright.

We'll have to see if the movie is any good, but that information alone means little to me.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Personally I think the other agents should get some screen time, too, but this is alright.

We'll have to see if the movie is any good, but that information alone means little to me.
We saw Agent 006!
200.gif

A lot of the agents besides 008 keep getting killed.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article is very precise in saying that she has the code number 007. The level of precision in the language suggest to me that she isn't playing "James Bond." I suspect it's going to turn out to be a plot twist and that they haven't cast a new "James Bond" yet.

"There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman. It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The article is very precise in saying that she has the code number 007. The level of precision in the language suggest to me that she isn't playing "James Bond." I suspect it's going to turn out to be a plot twist and that they haven't cast a new "James Bond" yet.

"There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman. It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."
I suspect he will retire, Blofeld and SPECTRE will re-emerge and Bond will come out of retirement and work with 007 to take down the organization.

Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0