UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Remember that Rogue One is only the second Star Wars movie that was not intended from the beginning to be part of a trilogy.

The only other movie shown as a one-off was A New Hope, and character development/backstory was pretty scanty in that.

For instance, the characterization of Han Solo was shown in a single scene--Han shoots Greedo first, so we see what kind of guy he is. We don't learn in A New Hope why he's pals with a hairy alien or anything else about him.

We don't learn much about Leia, either, except "rebel princesss." Okay. Anything about Vader? Nope. Anything about Tarkin? Nope. Very little about Luke, for that matter. IOW, characterization is not done any better in A New Hope than in Rogue One...that's the way it is for pretty much any action movie developed as a standalone.

Sure, I agree. I didn't mean to say there wasn't enough character-building in the movie, but only that I'm used to three movies of length, you know? I thought Rogue One had enough character as it was; I don't expect deep character development in an ensemble movie. Like you mentioned, it's much like The Magnificent Seven etc. in such a regard.

What I meant was that I'm just not used to a Star Wars movie that I don't have to wait 3 years between for a continuance of story. Two hours and it's over. But I liked it rather well, just not sure how much compared to the others; that's the part I'm having to feel out.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pretty much the same elements that make most war movies interesting. Yes, it was essentially "The Dirty Dozen Saves Private Ryan from the Guns of Navarone," but the formula works just fine.
Great review ; ) Did you see Hacksaw Ridge ?
I love you Status
Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner > I've always felt like an alien here on this planet since a little girl > Since I became a disciple I know I am a Pilgrim > I can't help being anxiously anticipating about going home

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Accountant was so good. I really enjoyed the subversion of the action movie's standard tropes. A lot of people are hoping for a sequel, but I hope it remains a stand alone for full subversion of trope. I was a bit iffy with it until the scene with the hostage silver-haired woman on the porch calling, "Christian! Chris!" and then, fwip! *KABLOOM!* and I was all in. Just excellent all the way around.

Did you see either twist coming at the end? I saw neither, and was surprised. But the second time I watched it I couldn't help thinking, "How did I not see the first twist coming a mile away?" The movie goes out of its way to practically spell it out, but somehow I missed it.

Also saw Ben-Hur and liked it enough.
Gee! it had twist all though the movie.
Don't remember the hostage silver-haired woman ?
I need to see it again.
Are you speaking of his brother and the mental gal at the end ?
It was excellent.
I forgot to mention the mental problem -disability of the main character that (to me) made him more interesting, and human in the midst of his genius, and violent profession.
If you think about it, his character was a bland, monotone personality. That's what makes the movie brilliant, it's so well written and acted your never bored with him.
About Ben-Hur, don't you think the silly clown apostle was foolish ? And some scenes ran to long. Needed better editing

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pretty much my take on it as well. I'm still processing. It's difficult with a stand-alone since I'm used to three movies of character-building and such. Such a quickly moving "episode" and then it's over. I think I liked it rather well, though. The way it connected and wove into Episode 4 was really well done.

The way it connected and wove into Episode 4 was really well done.
That was great, they did a good job. I miss the Princess.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gee! it had twist all though the movie.
Don't remember the hostage silver-haired woman ?

The old couple he would go to their farm to sight his anti-aircraft weapon. The two killers show up there and take the couple hostage while he's out sighting. They're there to "kill the book-keeper"? You don't remember that? "Call in the book-keeper" "He's too far away, he won't hear" "Do it!" and then the one guy grabs the little woman and shoves her on the porch with a gun pointed at her. She calls out "Christian! Chris!" And nothing happens. The guy points his gun at her and says "Louder" and she goes "Chris..." and fwip! KATHOOM! The bad guy with the gun on her turns into red mist. It was one of the best scenes in the movie; the two guys show up expecting to kill an accountant and suddenly they're being fired upon by anti-aircraft weaponry, and attacked by a master of hand-to-hand combat. His brother is on the phone in the following scene and says "Killed? What did he do hit them over the head with his adding machine?"

I need to see it again.
Are you speaking of his brother and the mental gal at the end ?
It was excellent.

Yes, that the rival was his little brother. Did you see that coming?
I forgot to mention the mental problem -disability of the main character that (to me) made him more interesting, and human in the midst of his genius, and violent profession.

Yeah the movie subverted the standard tropes really well.

If you think about it, his character was a bland, monotone personality. That's what makes the movie brilliant, it's so well written and acted your never bored with him.

And it made sense for standard things to occur: such as the usual trope of the female lead having nothing to do in the movie; perfectly explained by the fact he cannot connect with others. The scene where he left, closing the door behind him, turning to look back as the door slowly closed was touching. He was a genuinely flawed hero in many ways.

About Ben-Hur, don't you think the silly clown apostle was foolish ? And some scenes ran to long. Needed better editing

I don't remember that character.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did anyone see Hacksaw Ridge?

I did see it and thought it was pretty good. Very intense war-scenes, and genuinely stirring and uplifting. Can't believe it was based on a true story; that's the most incredible part.

The one thing I wondered at the end was, did he end up violating his principles? He said he wouldn't work on the sabbath but then at the end he does. It was like the whole movie centered around him being so adamant about his beliefs then he suddenly seems to violate them at the end? I would've at least liked a scene where he wrestles with the sabbath rule, and becomes persuaded it's okay to work on the sabbath for "making whole" but there was no such scene, so it appeared like he just, violated his principles that he fought to uphold.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The old couple he would go to their farm to sight his anti-aircraft weapon. The two killers show up there and take the couple hostage while he's out sighting. They're there to "kill the book-keeper"? You don't remember that? "Call in the book-keeper" "He's too far away, he won't hear" "Do it!" and then the one guy grabs the little woman and shoves her on the porch with a gun pointed at her. She calls out "Christian! Chris!" And nothing happens. The guy points his gun at her and says "Louder" and she goes "Chris..." and fwip! KATHOOM! The bad guy with the gun on her turns into red mist. It was one of the best scenes in the movie; the two guys show up expecting to kill an accountant and suddenly they're being fired upon by anti-aircraft weaponry, and attacked by a master of hand-to-hand combat. His brother is on the phone in the following scene and says "Killed? What did he do hit them over the head with his adding machine?"

Hey, I'm old :help:^_^:amen:- now I remember...It's worth another watch though b/c it's so intricately woven.

Yes, that the rival was his little brother. Did you see that coming?
No, I didn't... but the scene was tense, warm then funny. I'm going to research who wrote this to be on the look out for their next flix.
here we go >
The Accountant (2016 film)
The Accountant
Directed by Gavin O'Connor
Produced by Lynette Howell Taylor Mark Williams
Written by Bill Dubuque
Starring Ben Affleck Anna Kendrick J. K. Simmons Jon Bernthal

He was a genuinely flawed hero in many ways.
But strangely loveable. I don't recall ever liking an Assassin before .

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I didn't... but the scene was tense, warm then funny. I'm going to research who wrote this to be on the look out for their next flix.
here we go >
The Accountant (2016 film)
The Accountant
Directed by Gavin O'Connor
Produced by Lynette Howell Taylor Mark Williams
Written by Bill Dubuque
Starring Ben Affleck Anna Kendrick J. K. Simmons Jon Bernthal

I remember he did another movie called Warrior (or, something similar); but I've not seen that one but may check it out based on the strength of this entry.

But strangely loveable. I don't recall ever liking an Assassin before .

But he wasn't an assassin, he was an accountant. He would use his accountant abilities to go into criminal organizations to cook their books, by doing learn what shady dealings they were up to, and then tip off the feds to their criminal activities so they would be caught. The only time he killed people was when the criminal clients would find him out and come after him. He was like Batman, like Raymond King said "If anyone breaks his moral code": the only people he killed were the bad guys trying to kill other people.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bill Dubuque
Bill Dubuque is an American screenwriter known for such films as The Accountant, The Headhunter's Calling, The Judge and the television series Ozark. wikipedia.org

Have not seen any of these yet.
he only time he killed people was when the criminal clients would find him out and come after him. He was like Batman, like Raymond King said "If anyone breaks his moral code": the only people he killed were the bad guys trying to kill other people.
Sometimes I look at the artistic details of a movie so much, I miss the story-line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums