1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

abortion OK if mother's life is at stake?

Discussion in 'Debates on Abortion' started by shakewell, Dec 12, 2016.

1. shakewell

shakewell Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Faith:
    Christian
    I am against legalized abortion in the U.S., but I have a question:
    If abortion is banned except in the case of the mother's life being at stake, what's to stop women who want an abortion for convenience to falsely claim their life is at stake? How can a claim of the 'mother's life being at stake' ever be disproved?

2. Sultan Of Swing

Sultan Of Swing Junior Member

Ratings:
    +765
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Anglican
    You could necessitate one or more physician(s) have to verify that the mother's life is actually at stake before allowing it to happen.

3. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,157
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Why do you assume that the claim is almost impossible to prove false?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,874
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    I'm sure that it would happen, and some doctors would be happy to falsify records. All laws are broken, yet we sill have laws.

5. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~§¤§~

Ratings:
    +914
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Don't c-sections solve most cases where a mothers life is at risk?

6. shakewell

shakewell Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Faith:
    Christian
    Well if your car acts up intermittently and every time you take it in to the mechanic it runs just fine, can the mechanic prove that it doesn't act up? It seems like any woman with an imagination could concoct a story: "when the baby kicks, I can't breathe and my heart stops beating". Of course the baby never "kicks" when she's in the doctor's office.

7. JackRT

JackRT I'm on the left.

Ratings:
    +3,530
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    United Church of Canada
    These very serious questions of person-hood arise only if we assume that the soul is infused at conception and that the brand new zygote is fully a person. Is there a more reasonable understanding? I believe there is. Personally I believe that the developing fetus becomes a person only when it is able to survive outside the womb. Sentience occurs at about the same point in the pregnancy very late in the second trimester. For this reason I am against abortion beyond the twentieth week except in very rare extreme circumstances.. Otherwise I believe that abortion should be legal, it should be safe, it should be available and it should be the woman’s informed choice but most important of all --- it should be rare. In conclusion, we should always keep in mind that there is no more powerful abortifacient in the world than poverty.

8. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Abortion is never okay, not even when the mother's life is in danger. One can never do evil to bring about good. However, one should know about the principle of double effect. You can learn about it here:

Abortion and Double Effect | Catholic Answers

9. JackRT

JackRT I'm on the left.

Ratings:
    +3,530
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    United Church of Canada
    There are situations in which the RCC permits abortions. In 1969 I took my wife to St Josephs Hospital in Hamilton Ontario. She was almost immediately diagnosed with an ectopic pregnant and was within minutes of death. They performed an immediate surgical removal of the embryo and one ovary. Better to save the mother than both die wouldn't you agree?