A US Comedian and Two Nations Walked into a Bar - So where is the joke?

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Rarely I get to post my thoughts about issues that are both close to home and somewhat international all at the same time. This is a regrettable once in a blue moon opportunity. Recently a Singaporean US comedian did a standup routine in one of the comedy clubs in the NY and in attendance was a Malaysian. She did what I would assume a standup will do - work with the crowd there. What she worked out was tearing up old wounds - sensitive old wounds. From the separation of the once single nation into two to the still stinging memory of our missing plane. If it would only have ended there... inside the club. However that was not to be. She uploaded her routine to her social media account.

When the uploaded clip went viral in Malaysia & Singapore, it literally caused an international incident. It lit a fire under the politicians of both nations. Singapore profusely apologizes to Malaysia. Denouncing her and reaffirming the shared friendship of both nations. Malaysia is dead set in punishing her. So much so we have requested the Interpol to locate her. What we intend to do with the information is not stated by our police.

With the summary done, so what do I think about it? There are quite a lot to unpack because the whole kerfuffle has many layers to it. Let's get down to it.

The "Joke"
I find it uncomfortable and in poor taste. I don't mind her using the subject of the Malaysia Singapore separation. However her delivery (facial expression & tone) seems genuine. It is not comedy in the guise of harshness but rather the other way around. And she keeps the air of superiority about her nation (even though she is no longer Singaporean) while simultaneously belittling Malaysia. Comedy about rivalry between neighbor nations rarely dig into sensitive issue for obvious reasons. Take for example joke about America and Canada. Comics will feign displeasure about the other nation and the punchline would be how much better the other is compared to his own.

Next is the joke about the missing MH370. While not the fault of Singapore in any capacity, she seem to take a little delight in delivering the punchlines. Her facial express really doesn't make things easier to overlook. With choices of phrase like "not landing" and "kill" one can hardly view it as a comedy routine. She comes of as malicious and takes all opportunity to drive the dagger deeper into the wound she opened. I can't say for certain her intentions but the vibes are none positive.

The Singaporean response
I don't fault them for trying their hardest to minimize the potential straining of diplomatic ties. Since our two nations depend a lot on one another economically. Also a lot of Singaporeans and Malaysians have family members who are citizens in the other nation. I do think Singapore really has nothing to apologize for since she is not Singaporean - she is American. I guess showing solidarity with Malaysia is a wiser move morally and diplomatically.

The Malaysian response
Emotions are running high within many circles of Malaysian society. Many feel the need to set an example of her for besmirching our nation and laughing at our tragic lost. What about me? Not going to lie I do feel angry. However my anger stops at me. I don't really want my nation to go after someone who has not broken any laws in their own country. I believe our laws can't cross the borders into another nations. If we want our laws to be respected we should also respect the laws of others. I would say proclaim her persona non grata and be done with it. No matter how hurt we may feel, we have to take the high road and be the better person in this situation. We should show the world that what she said about us is not true. But at the end of the day live and let live.

Last edited: