Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is a little rant I've had before.

For years now there has been an Episcopal clergy person in my life who will not stop pressuring me to become a monk.

I cannot become a monk while in debt, nor do I want to, and having given it quite a lot of thought, I do not feel called.

This same clergy person now has seemingly given up on that idea and now desires me to be a priest. And i definitely do not want to do that for various reasons, nor am I in the financial or practical situation to return to higher education.

I am very frustrated that this person will not drop it and leave me be. I am very happy in my current circumstances and job, I have no desire to return to school, and I have no awareness at this time in my life for such a calling.

I should probably tell the clergy person to just drop it, and I have told her that I don't want any part of this.

Part of my frustration stems from the fact that said person has only cited practical and not spiritual reasons for monastic life.

Another part is that I believe we are all, laity included, called to prayer and holiness of life, and it annoys me that someone should pressure me to religious or clerical life on the basis that I strive for these goods. I don't believe this manner of life is only for the clergy or religious!

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sounds to me that your take on the issue is perfectly reasonable.

However do you have a sense of personally being called in a particular direction?

Or are you in the waiting room... ??

Yes, I feel called to holiness of life, sanctity, and prayer in my current life circumstances.

And I go about as laity teaching people in my life, who would otherwise fall through the cracks, aspects of the faith, and I instruct them in how they might consider praying, and I comfort them.

But I do all this as a layman, and I am flourishing in my current circumstances.

• Winner
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟339,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Another part is that I believe we are all, laity included, called to prayer and holiness of life, and it annoys me that someone should pressure me to religious or clerical life on the basis that I strive for these goods. I don't believe this manner of life is only for the clergy or religious!

This is important. I have sensed an attitude in some people that the callings of priest/monk/nun/missionary are for really good Christians, and that the laity is for mediocre Christians. The lay Christian life is every bit as much a vocation as the priesthood, just oriented toward the secular world. All of us who are baptized are called to prayer and holiness of life.

I don't know you well enough to say whether you're called to be a priest or a monk or a lay person. But all are Christian vocations.

Upvote 0

Lady Donna Marie

Jan 10, 2020
South
✟22,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
[QUOTE="everbecoming2007,

Here is a story I want to share with you about a monk, the Father of Monasticism and a lay person that was a shoemaker, and the differences between their walk with God and how it affected their growth. As you read it it will prove your point that being a lay person is just as important as those that chose a life as a priest, monk, or nun.

St Anthony The Great and The Shoemaker

At some time, St. Anthony the Great thought to himself “I wonder with whose spiritual achievements my spiritual life can be compared with”. God, however, in order to humble this thought revealed to him in a dream that superior to him was a shoemaker who had a store in the back streets of Alexandria.

Once it was daybreak, the saint took his staff and headed off to the city. He wanted to meet in person this famed shoemaker and see his virtues. With great difficulty he discovered his store, sat down at the counter and began asking about his life.

The man was simple and didn’t even occur to him who this elderly monk was that had come so unexpectedly into his store querying him. The man, while continuing to work and without taking his eyes off the shoes he was working on replied gently;

“Elder, I don’t know if I have ever done anything good. Every morning after waking up, I pray and then I start work. First, I think to myself how every person in this city, from the smallest to the greatest will be saved, and only I will be condemned due to my countless transgressions. And in the evening when I go to sleep, I have the same thoughts.

The Elder rose with wonder and embraced and kissed him and said emotively:

“You, my brother, like a good merchant, have gained the priceless pearl without toil. I have grown old in the desert, sweated and toiled but have not reached your level of humility.”

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know what you mean.

Oh; sorry; I was trying to use my new Amazon fire 10HD tablet; and it's just not working for me right--it's a touch screen--witch I've never used those much; and I was testing typing in a reply; and didn't mean to post that--in fact I was surprised it went.

I'm now back on my Laptop; so I deleted that post--sorry about that. I think I'l stick to my LT. :D

Upvote 0