East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So, it looks like the bishop of our diocese is going to stop funding the chapliaincy at my old college. Right now the diocese funds half the salary, the university the other half and also the physical costs. It brings in a little money too to cover some things.

This has been a major boon to the Anglican church here, I don't think there is any other ministry that brings so many unchurched young people or those who have fallen away from other groups. The college runs a first year great books program, and the traditional worship at the chapel with many academic priests is just a perfect fit for the kids being exposed to the history of thought for the first time.

The chaplain also covers the larger university in their chaplaincy office. But it is a huge bonus that he can be found around the college all the time and there is a real place of worship.

It's political really I think, the bishop wants cookie-cutter "contemporary" worship and is interested in social justice, not any intellectual form of Christianity.

The college may step up to fund the position fully. But I am becoming more and more depressed at the prospects for Anglicanism here. I am thinking that in the next ten years unless the Communion kicks the ACC out, there will be nothing recognizable left here at all.

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
:delurking: to say that I empathize, while active in the church I spent most of my time advocating for young adult and campus ministry. It amazes me how shortsighted diocesan budgets can be when they cut these kinds of programs. I'm glad your college has been partially funding the position, my experience has been with American state colleges who are prohibited to fund such jobs so the burden falls completely on the churches (which is as I think it should be, but it does make it harder). Most American college chaplaincy positions I'm aware of have not been full-time, but they make it work. Good luck, I hope something comes through!

Upvote 0