Jun 16, 2013
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi ! I HAVE A QUESTION , I used to attend a pentecostal church, we used to have 5 prayer meetings in a week.
1-- Sunday worship.
2--TUESDAY {Ladies prayer meeting.}
3--WEDNESDAY { cottage prayer.}
4--FRIDAY {fasting prayer , this would be twice both in the morning and in the evening}
5--SATURDAY {bible study}

I was in college and I found it difficult to manage the studies and attending all the prayer meetings, so I decided not to attend two prayer meetings, one was the Tuesday prayer meeting and the other was the morning Friday fasting prayer.When I stopped going to those prayer meetings, the pastor enquired me about the absence, I politely told him that I couldn't attend those two prayer meetings but I will try to attend all other prayer meetings. After I had given him the answer , few days later when I went to attend the friday evening prayer meeting, Pastor again raised the same issue, I repeated my words for which He answered if you cannot attend those two prayer meetings you don't have to attend any prayer meetings.He asked me to leave the church. I was shattered and broken- hearted because of his words. My mother had to send me to one of her friends house for a change.

I left that church, I joined another. I never complained to anyone about This behaviour of the pastor, I was young and I thought its best to let God handle that issue. But years passed , still my heart is hurt for the way that pastor acted. I was just trying to give some time for my education. Was I wrong?
Please answer me.

Clay Vessel

Mar 11, 2013
NW USA
✟15,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear Friend, people, even pastors, are full of faults. He was wrong to do this to you. I am sorry that he gave you this pain. Choose to forgive him. He was flawed. Forgiveness will free you from the pain. This is why we are given the verse that says: "Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith." Jesus will never fail you. Keep your eyes on Him, direct your thoughts toward Him and He will give you peace.
Blessings to you!

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟21,834.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I dont' think that is a fault in the pastor, I believe it is arrogance on his behalf. He has no business in the pulpit if this is indicative of his overall behavior.

Having said that, you do need to forgive him. This was an incident that Satan LOVES to use to push people away from the church and from God. Don't let him.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The pastor was a legalistic "control freak" who was obviously preaching a "Performance Based" Christian "Religion". Sounds like it was a REALLY GOOD idea to get away from him, and his little domination "Club".

"Forgiveness", of course ISN'T a "Feeling" - it's a decision to "Tear up the I.O.U." that you hold against the pastor. So RELEASE Him (which will release YOU), and just walk away.

Upvote 0

kspchemist

Bible Thumper
May 7, 2004
Baxter, KY
✟15,859.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you did right by leaving the church. But now that there is some time past, I think you need to talk to that particular pastor if possible to forgive him for his actions, by that way you'll be free from the poison of bitterness.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There would have been more controlling issues later. So it actually worked out best for you by leaving when you did. You're to be commended for not telling others.

You know you need to forgive him though. I know it's hard but it's for your benefit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟285,813.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Precious ones of the Lord I thank you all for your answers ,May God bless you abundantly.Yes its hard to forgive him, and I need to forget that incidence too.I will surely pray to God to strengthen me to forgive him.
What helped me with a very intense issue was literally telling God how I felt and asking Him to help me with it every time I feel even a twinge of a grudge.

I do have a caution if you try to speak to this pastor. If he is as legalistic and controlling as it seems, he may not be so gracious toward you. As long as you are prepared for that and are already speaking to God about it when you go to this pastor you should be fine, but you will have to judge your own ability to deal with the possible continued rejection. You may still need more time.

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Sounds very wrong to me! :( can surely understand your pain. Such pressure is sometimes found in leaders who not only drive others but drive themselves and are very controlling. Hard to understand sometimes; but if I were you I would be very thankful you didn't stay in that church.

I think most Pentecostal pastors are more encouraging than legalistic. And they allow for things besides their programs to be part of one's life. In other words they are usually people who live balanced lives and don't put harsh expectations on others especially younger people and elderly.

Best thing is just to keep forgiving that pastor whenever the incident comes to mind as you pray for him. Then let it go! Believe that God will take away the hurt when you do remember. Therein lies the healing to be able to remember without the pain. May take time.

peace and blessings

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks friends for your caring replies. Before leaving the church I visited the pastor at his home, I went along with my mom and younger brother I spoke to him about his words and I asked him directly to show me my fault, he neither gave me any proper answer nor showed any signs of regrets for his words.My father is an unbeliever and when I narrated the whole incidence to him his reaction was this," I didn't ask you to accept christanity I am not going to help you in this." So it was indeed tough for me. I was only 19. Now I am 27. I did feel hatred for pastors in general because of this one person, but the Holy Spirit changed my heart for Pastors. I don't hate pastor's anymore. I respect them. I did cry to the Lord to help me be healed from that pain. Bad things happen to all of us, We live in an imperfect world. I am imperfect too. After sharing this incidence with you all, I feel a sort of relief ; So thank you once again.

Sadly that pastor passed away , 2-3 years after I had left the church.I don't know much about it, but a believer who visited us said that he was very sick and hospitalized , he died in his sickness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 27, 2012
alshawitz
✟15,356.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only Jesus is Lord and Head of the Church not pastors or other church leaders. Jesus would love to study with you just as much as be at prayer meeting with you. The pastor's problem was thinking Jesus was at the church building and not with you always.

Upvote 0

Clay Vessel

Mar 11, 2013
NW USA
✟15,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont' think that is a fault in the pastor, I believe it is arrogance on his behalf. He has no business in the pulpit if this is indicative of his overall behavior.

Having said that, you do need to forgive him. This was an incident that Satan LOVES to use to push people away from the church and from God. Don't let him.

I think arrogance is a fault. It is pride and pride is not only a fault, but it is sin. Sadly, our pulpits are full of faulty people and they need our prayers. God, set them free of themselves!

Upvote 0