Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bushmaster said:
Thanks Emmanuel, I will wait a little more until more opinions accumulate here :) By the way, is that your patron saint in the avatar? Who is it?

It's Saint Ireneus of Lyon. Yes he's my patron Saint.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,529.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bushmaster said:
I am a cathecumen in the Orthodox church, would it be OK to use the Orthodox Cross under my name on these forums? I thought I should ask permission for this.
Yes absolutely!

From a slightly morbid viewpoint, if you were to die today, as a catechumen you would be entitled to an Orthodox burial and all the ensuing memorial services :)

Well I found it comforting ;) :p

John

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am serving in Korea right now and I met a historian/librarian here, I have always been seeking the true church since I met Jesus and the protestant church. This brother coming from a lutheran background was God's gift to me, my interest in history met Christianity and found the only true church with its true worship. Well, military orthodox service is not like the real one in a cathedral, so I am waiting until I go back to US and find a home church.

Glad to be among you.

PS what is Johnie though?

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just remember, as we all should, that wearing the Orthodox Cross in these forums means that you are representing the Orthodox Church. I know that none of us is an "official" representative, but you just might be the only Orthodox someone on this forum comes in contact with. To me, it is a hefty burden.

M.

Upvote 0

Petronius

May 10, 2005
✟15,842.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bushmaster said:
Hello brothers, sisters,

I want to ask you, I am a cathecumen in the Orthodox church, would it be OK to use the Orthodox Cross under my name on these forums? I thought I should ask permission for this.

I should say that there is only ONE CROSS symbol of Christians and we should not look at different styles as Orthodox Cross, or Catholic, or Protestant although intense use of some cross styles by different rites could have led to a perception that that cross is the rites cross.
Some practical reasons, like on this forum, have their background. But since you were once baptized, then you are a Christian and can dispaly whatever kind of cross.
What on this forum is associated with the Orthodox Cross, it is almost identical with the Lorraine Cross used by the Free France of general de Gaule so very Catholic, but to me as a Romanian, this is a Russian Cross and the Cross style used in Romania, or by the Patriarchate of Greece or Constatinople are different from that, these, especially Greek style crosses, have only 4 equal arms.

My suggestion: do not focuse on exterior signs. This is explicable by your intense desire to BE Orthodox and there is nothing wrong, but a cross is a cross and as mentioned, when you would travell thru traditionally Orthodox countries you ill find out that different Cross styles are used than this asociated on this forum with orthodox. This is only a local convention, but do not do of this a dogma.
You will also find out that there can be slightly different customs in different Orthodox communites even in same country.
To be an Orthodox, other thinks are required, not the style of the Cross, like: being baptized, accepting only those dogmas recognized in the orthodox Church as the Nicene Creed without adding filioque, rejecting the Immaculate Conception, the Infaibility of the Pope, being communicated with both wine and bread and many others that a priest will tell you.
One evident exterior sign for Orthodoxes is the way they cross themselves meaning first right shoulder and then the left one and also how he/she keeps the fingers.
An other aspect could be this: as an Orthodox do not worshid 3D representations of Jesus Christ, saints etc wuth the exception of the Cross itself. connected to this I would like to relate you something and see what would be your opinion.
On Sept. 28th, the local Czech Orthodox Church celebrated Saint Ludmila, a Czech Saint from 10th century . She has her tomb in a catholic Church, but the Orthodox Clergy was allowed to conduct a Divine Service (there was not a Liturgy, this is the reason I used Service) there and after that we bowed and worshiped at Saint's tomb. As it was in a Catholic Cucrch , a big crucifix with Jesus Christ as a statue (i.e. 3D) was nearby and some people worshiped this too. I consider that this was mistake. I did not worship the 3D representation.
As I am acquinted from Romania and Czech (where I now live) the Orthodox crucifixes do not use a 3D representation of Christ, but a 2D, i.e. He is flat , painted.
From this point of view I think that you should pay more attention to what you worship and not to the Cross style, which is irelevant.
But about crucifixes, apart of the 3D vs. 2D difference, which is extremely relevant, I would like to
I would like to share you an other fact which is insuficiently known even to clergy in traditional Orthodox countries. I was told this by several priests and monks with higher theological education so I trusted them.
I am sharing this with you so you also check it over there and find out if correct or not.
It reffers to all representations of Jesus Christ on the Cross either icons or crucifixes.
It was stated that the Catholic Church represents Jesus Christ with 3 nails, while the Orthodox Church with 4 nails, one more for each foot as it is also stated in the Gospel (I must confess that i did not read the Gospel, but those priests and monks stated that it is like this). From my research, there is like this in most case in this part of Europe, but I found exceptions on both sides, but with the advantage of the catholics, who breaking their "rule", corrected the mistake. I consider that if there are 4 nails in the Gospel, there must be also 4 in any representation.
One could object that this is not important, but on my opinion it is VERY important because if we do not respect clear evidence, then no doubt that other less clear aspects for untrained people can lead to anywhere.... Well, all you Orthodox understand well what I mean...
So what is your opinion ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Petronius,

We were recently given a 3-D, 3-bar crucifix. It was bought from a Moscow Patriarchal bookstore, blessed by an OCA priest, and given to us by a MP priest's family. So I'm not sure this is a salvation issue, so to speak, either. Seems to me that if it were, our crucifix wouldn't have passed through (and been created by) so many Orthodox hands without someone raising objections.

Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Petronius said:
I should say that there is only ONE CROSS symbol of Christians and we should not look at different styles as Orthodox Cross, or Catholic, or Protestant although intense use of some cross styles by different rites could have led to a perception that that cross is the rites cross.

I totally agree with you, Petronius.

But I think the question was just about the little crosses next to your name on the forum that let other people know what your faith is, not about crosses in general. Of course the orthodox use different kind of crosses.

Upvote 0

Petronius

May 10, 2005
✟15,842.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ufonium2 said:
Petronius,

We were recently given a 3-D, 3-bar crucifix. It was bought from a Moscow Patriarchal bookstore, blessed by an OCA priest, and given to us by a MP priest's family. So I'm not sure this is a salvation issue, so to speak, either. Seems to me that if it were, our crucifix wouldn't have passed through (and been created by) so many Orthodox hands without someone raising objections.

Let us make some things clear. What I call crucifx is a 3D cross WITH a representation of Jesus Christ nailed on the cross. If the representation of Jesus Christ is missing, I call this cross, albeit it may be adorned, but not a crucifix. I do not want to say that this is correct, but just for the sake of clarity in speach.
If remeber well from Romania and here in Czech, the priest have in Altar, among other sacred objects, a Cross as defined by me above and not a Crucifix ie with a representation of Jesus Christ as also divined by me above (I repeat this is my definition). Big, 3D Crosses without representation of Jesus christ are also many times called Crucifix.
Now, under the above "definition", are we talking about the same thing ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petronius

May 10, 2005
✟15,842.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
CFoxDWH said:
Sorry, that's just an expression.

they haven't run me out on a pole yet.

If I translate this into Romanian, it makes me understand that you could feel strongly condamned for some errors you made as a catehumen.
If so, there was nobody's intention....
But feel comfortable: we,craddle orthodox, make many times more and bigger errors than new converts, especially one like me who was raised and educated during the Communist era and the religious education was very very unformal and was mianly based on practicing different rituals being with grandparents in the countryside as me.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think that once a Priest has formally said the prayers so that someone is a catachumen the use of the Orthodox Cross here at TAW is appropriate.

I do not like inquirers who have not made a formal declaration of intent to convert using it only because I hold people posting with the EO cross symbol to a higher standard. I expect them to have a bit of a better understanding then a visitor that knows next to nothing about EO.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.