Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I had a question- do you think it is possible for something we have gone through in our past to prevent us from having joy? I have never had joy, I had it for 5 minutes right after I got saved and then it left and I have never had it again, there must be a very good reason why I do not have it. I thought God told me that I could not help it, that I needed to be healed first from some things that happened to me in the past before I came to Christ but I am not positive it was God speaking, If this is not the case I need to repent of something, but I have already tried everything I could think of and nothing works, I can't seem to have joy. I do not have peace either, I have never had that either. Thanks

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A summary of looking at this earlier.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." (Pro 17:22).
In "God's Prescription Book," written by a Christian neurosurgeon, Dr Avery Jackson, there is a chapter on laughter. He makes himself laugh several times a day. Our bodies can't distinguish between authentic and fake laughter. Among other benefits, a merry heart improves our immune system.

From CJB:
"Rejoice in union with the Lord always! I will say it again: rejoice! 5 Let everyone see how reasonable and gentle you are. The Lord is near! 6 Don’t worry about anything; on the contrary, make your requests known to God by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving. 7 Then God’s shalom, passing all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with the Messiah Yeshua. 8 In conclusion, brothers, focus your thoughts on what is true, noble, righteous, pure, lovable or admirable, on some virtue or on something praiseworthy." (Phillipines 4:4-8)

Psa 16:11 "...in thy presence is fulness of joy..."

Ramping up my worship and praise to the Lord.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a question- do you think it is possible for something we have gone through in our past to prevent us from having joy? I have never had joy, I had it for 5 minutes right after I got saved and then it left and I have never had it again, there must be a very good reason why I do not have it. I thought God told me that I could not help it, that I needed to be healed first from some things that happened to me in the past before I came to Christ but I am not positive it was God speaking, If this is not the case I need to repent of something, but I have already tried everything I could think of and nothing works, I can't seem to have joy. I do not have peace either, I have never had that either. Thanks
Joy is a gift that we can all experience, regardless of our circumstances. It can manifest in many ways but I believe it is a temporary experience as the flesh has a way of diminishing its euphoria. The real question is, what gives you joy? Certainly you can say Jesus Christ of Nazareth gives you joy. Certainly when you eat something you love it gives you joy. Take a moment and " smell the roses" , I suspect your joy is still there. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quit "trying" .... if you have asked for forgiveness accept it .... and begin a new.

Often what we do is ask for forgiveness but then do not actually accept that forgiveness. We can't change our past ... that's the whole point of being forgiven by the Lord. The Lord is quick to forgive. He forgives us to take away our guilt. When the Lord forgives .... it's no longer on His mind .... so it should be with us. Trust in His forgiveness ... you will never have peace unless you do.

The joy comes when you understand this. Trust Him fully.

May the Lord bring peace to your mind as you continue your walk with Him. Amen

Upvote 0

XtianJax

Nov 7, 2023
Southern OR
✟312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My personal experience in discovering Jesus Christ showed me I never knew peace or joy until fully surrendering to His Lordship and then fellowshipping with Him daily (prayer, Bible, confession, praise, gratitude, witnessing). Yes at times I was happy and at times was at rest, but peace and joy are only found by personally knowing Christ. The Bible is Truth; fall in love with your Bible and I promise you will have peace and joy.

Upvote 0