New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did you succeed?
You can learn the basics I think at community mens sheds. Or ask someone at church, retired folk may be able to teach you.

I think a man should be able to at least know one end of the hammer from another. I don't do scales, but I would say fairly important. If he doesn't want their house falling apart! If you going to live in the countryside, VERY important.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Maybe like, a 3? It's definitely a preference. Even if he's not experienced, but is good with his hands and is able to learn things from watching youtube vids.

Growing up, my stepfather was a retired general contractor who always had projects going around the house. I'm actually quite handy myself and have no issues installing doorknobs, dog/cat doors, repairing drywall, fencing, hammering nails, painting, installing carpet, doing a little bit of framing and hanging/texturing drywall, even a little electrical work like installing ceiling fans and lights. I did all of these things when I was a kid. He had me helping put shingles on the roof when I was all of 11 lol.

I hate the thought of having to pay somebody to do things that my partner and I could do ourselves.

Upvote 0

JeffofGallifrey

Dec 26, 2015
USA
✟20,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you succeed?
You can learn the basics I think at community mens sheds. Or ask someone at church, retired folk may be able to teach you.

I think a man should be able to at least know one end of the hammer from another. I don't do scales, but I would say fairly important. If he doesn't want their house falling apart! If you going to live in the countryside, VERY important.

Of course I succeeded. Otherwise, I would still be in the hallway, trying.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟906,275.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You can get better at that, you know.

This. You carried on until you finished the job and I'd like to think that puts you in higher standing(as it can and does relate to so many different scenarios) than being able to put a door up in 5 minutes.

I think the fact you finished it and the fact you're even concerned about it speaks to a mentality of self-improvement and the commitment to see it(and other things where applicable) through.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with what Patrick said above.

Is a guy being a handyman a plus? Sure, but a lot of those skills can be learned and it certainly isn't a make or break quality. You stuck with it, you finished it, and that is the important bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just spent almost an hour trying to put a simple latch on my bedroom door. Six screws.

Ladies, does it matter if a guy is a handyman? On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is that to you?

:mmh:

It doesn't matter, as long as he's willing to try or look on youtube for tutorials. Also as long as he's okay with me watching and laughing at him. :p

Just kidding on that last part. Kind of. Okay laughing a little bit...but not AT him, with him. :D

I don't expect him to know everything, sometimes it's good to get a professional to do some things. But yeah, around the house stuff like changing a light bulb, fixing a hinge, replacing something... handy is a good thing.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't even rate a 0. I want him to be a kind, Jesus-loving, considerate, fun, positive, good guy. While living happily ever after, we can endeavor together to figure out how to get the step ladder open. And if we can't get it open, we'll hire someone.

I'm not looking for a man slave. I'm looking for a best friend.

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

By order of the Peaky blinders
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Even if a man is a handyman your house still doesn't get done. My boyfriend is a plasterer and also can do other building stuff I've been waiting 4 weeks to get my kitchen floor to be finished but oh if it was a customer you know the story.

Once I had a sink leaning on pieces of wood for 2 months while the kitchen was getting fixed took 4 months

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Of course I succeeded. Otherwise, I would still be in the hallway, trying.

To me that's all that would really matter. You took on the project, you worked and you completed it. You learned, and there's a good chance you'll be able to do it again next time. That's really all handiwork is about. My boyfriend built an entire fence on his own. He's not professional, he'd never done it before. He researched, watched videos and then did it.

Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm a good handy man since I helped build our family house, my business involves a lot of DIY,
and I'm able to take care of most stuff. However, I can't cook really, and have other issues.
In the end being willing to try, not making assumptions, and being motivated will make a guy stand out for DIY.
Pre-existing skills are good, but with some time they'll be learned, and be put to good use.

Reactions: William67
Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I just spent almost an hour trying to put a simple latch on my bedroom door. Six screws.

Ladies, does it matter if a guy is a handyman? On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is that to you?

Women need to know that you can go at something with determination until you are both satisfied - not giving up and watching tv or falling asleep.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Even if a man is a handyman your house still doesn't get done. My boyfriend is a plasterer and also can do other building stuff I've been waiting 4 weeks to get my kitchen floor to be finished but oh if it was a customer you know the story.

Once I had a sink leaning on pieces of wood for 2 months while the kitchen was getting fixed took 4 months
Well, you know what they say about personal assistants - they keep other people's lives organized all day, so theirs aren't organized at all.

Reactions: TheGirlOnFire
Upvote 0

JeffofGallifrey

Dec 26, 2015
USA
✟20,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An hour? Wow, you made that last.

What were you struggling with, exactly? (I just can't picture it.)

The screws wouldn't go into the wall.

It helped when I figured out how to set my drill to push screws in, not pull them out. And about 30 minutes in, I figured out how to lock what YouTube calls the "ratcheting chuck."

Reactions: K9_Trainer
Upvote 0