Visit site
✟15,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have always known that in Judaism, it is common practice to write G-d, in this way, but I had always thought it had more to do with reverence in writing the name, instead of the potential blasphemy of erasing His name. Either way, it makes perfect sense. So, my question is this...why is it that G-d is printed as thus, but Yeshua, etc, isn't? Are these names not equally as holy, and equally deserving of reverence and avoidance of blasphemy? Just curious.

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This is a common practice observed by Rabbinical Judaism. You are correct, it is followed to show reverence and to prevent the defiling of the written name of Elohim.

As far as it's usage and application. I've noticed some in Messianic Judaism tend to lean more to the Rabbinical observances and practice this, while some don't. I would imagine if a Rabbinically inclined Jew came to faith in Yeshua they would entertain NOT writing the name Yeshua but Adonai (my lord) instead.

I have noticed many inconsitencies in it's usage as well. Most Rabbinical Messianics I've seen use HaShem, G-d, L-rd, but go right ahead and type Yeshua. I wonder the same thing. Why? It seems inconsistant to me as well. So I agree with your question. I don't know why the inconsistancy in applying the rule. I have used G-d in the past to show respect for the Rabbinical community I was visiting. But, I myself use Elohim, Abba, Adonai, for titles. And even here I show respect for others by not typing the tetragramatron out. But I do not see anywhere in the Tanakh that indicates i'm not supposed to write it out. I'm only told not to take it in vane or defile it. To me this implies an inward action. Not an outward one.

Upvote 0

MommylovesRJ

~*~Craving to please the One who has saved me~*~
Feb 3, 2005
Midwest
Visit site
✟15,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You phrased it much more elegantly than I , and for that I thank you. Glad to know I am not the only one who is scratching my head over this. ;)

***Just editing to add that I am not posting to point this issue out in a negative way, but I am seriously curious about this, and hoping to find an answer. I'm still rather early on this path, so please forgive if I have offended.***

Upvote 0

MyLittleWonders

Crunchy Mommy!
Jan 27, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟1,265.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I too wonder about this. On this forum, I type G-d or HaShem when referring to him out of respect for my brothers or sisters that may be offended by my typing the vowel in G-d. But, I never thought of it in relation to Yeshua. I have seen others type Y'shua ... I am guessing for the same reasons as typing G-d. Hmm ... what is the general consensus here? Personally I have no problem typing the /o/ in G-d, but don't want to offend. Should I then also type Y'shua? (Serious question here too ... not trying to be sarcastic in any way.) Hmm ...

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
MommylovesRJ said:
I have always known that in Judaism, it is common practice to write G-d, in this way, but I had always thought it had more to do with reverence in writing the name, instead of the potential blasphemy of erasing His name. Either way, it makes perfect sense. So, my question is this...why is it that G-d is printed as thus, but Yeshua, etc, isn't? Are these names not equally as holy, and equally deserving of reverence and avoidance of blasphemy? Just curious.

I can't speak to the issue you are really asking. But i wanted to point out that not all Jews adhere to this practice and there are many who argue against it. The view is that this is to take place only when writing in Hebrew, lashon hakodesh, and doesn't not carry over to english or other languages. Some say that by doing this, they are giving english a veneer of holiness that it does not have.

I know this is just kind of a side point, but thought you might be interested in it.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
MyLittleWonders said:
I have seen others type Y'shua ... I am guessing for the same reasons as typing G-d. Hmm ... what is the general consensus here?

This form of Yeshua is not the same as G-d. For one, it's not a title but the actual name. The difference I believe is in linguistics. Yeshua Y'shua Yahshua Yahshuah Yehoshua ....all are types of "names" not titles. In this rule it appears titles have the vowels taken out and the true name is never mentioned. As I see it the correct way to apply this rule is L-rd or Adonai. And Yeshua is not mentioned in any form. Just like the tetragramatron isn't.

Upvote 0

MommylovesRJ

~*~Craving to please the One who has saved me~*~
Feb 3, 2005
Midwest
Visit site
✟15,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, now another question. shimshon, you posted that you do not type out the tetragrammaton out of respect for others. Since I truly do not know, is the tetragrammaton held in the same reverence as G-d, etc?

Nevermind, I think I have the answer. It would be yes, since the tetragrammaton is the four Hebrew letters that form a proper biblical name of G-d...correct?

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Talmidah said:
Some say that by doing this, they are giving english a veneer of holiness that it does not have.

Interesting. To me this would be displaying a mode of arrogance/pride. Implying that Hebrew IS a holy language. And yes i've heard this before. But I'm not fully convinced. I don't think ANYTHING is Holy but Adonai Elohim. If his Ruach is filling a language, a person, a book. The object is not Holy, but the Ruach in it. So in my view, the language isn't Holy, the word can not be defiled by burning or tearing it, or being touched by a goyim. It becomes defiled when the object rejects the Holiness therein.

My point, a woman touches the garment of Ben Elohim in faith and is healed instantly. Conversly Nations of raging goyim attempt to enter the Holy of Holies so they can lay their hands on the Torah and all around that represent it to destroy it and they are struck dead enmass. Why the difference? "Heart Condition"

Anyway, I agree Talmidah that is interesting.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Correct, yes it is out of respect, and seen as the "vessel" that houses the name. It should be treated with the same respect. Yet that played out to it's illogical end means you can't even alude to Elohim in any way without defiling him. So Rabbinical Judaism stops at using titles instead of actual names for Elohim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yhudah

Oct 24, 2004
Dallas, Texas
✟287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MommylovesRJ said:
I have always known that in Judaism, it is common practice to write G-d, in this way, but I had always thought it had more to do with reverence in writing the name, instead of the potential blasphemy of erasing His name.

Either way, it makes perfect sense.

So, my question is this...why is it that G-d is printed as thus, but Yeshua, etc, isn't?

Are these names not equally as holy, and equally deserving of reverence and avoidance of blasphemy? Just curious.

In Judaism its only been the last few decades, that this new practice has come into vogue:that of not writing out in full the English names "God" or "Lord."

Most rabbinic authorites consider this to be without foundation and no more than a passing fad.

Shalom.

Yehuda

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,111.44
Faith
Messianic
Bottom line sounds like it has to do more with the writer, than the subject. The writer in which ever form they have chosen, are trying to get across a meaning. For the common, God, for the added reverence in the title, G-d, it a written expression of sacredness that they, the writer, believes is very important.

As this thread discusses the ins and out of why, we here, at least I have, come to appreciate the reason for writting it out different, not to make it Jewish, but to express Holy sacredness and reverence for His name. If it will cause others to ask, if it will cause others to learn and appreciate what we see, then it has achieved its purpose.

Do I think God is concerned, it is a concept that I would not be surprised that He inspired. Is it the new name? written in stone?

Revelation 2:17
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

Upvote 0

Yhudah

Oct 24, 2004
Dallas, Texas
✟287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
visionary writes ---

Bottom line sounds like it has to do more with the writer, than the subject.

The writer in which ever form they have chosen, are trying to get across a meaning.

For the common, God, for the added reverence in the title, G-d, it a written expression of sacredness that they, the writer, believes is very important.

As this thread discusses the ins and out of why, we here, at least I have, come to appreciate the reason for writing it out different, not to make it Jewish, but to express Holy sacredness and reverence for His name.

If it will cause others to ask, if it will cause others to learn and appreciate what we see, then it has achieved its purpose.

Do I think God is concerned, it is a concept that I would not be surprised that He inspired. Is it the new name? written in stone?

Revelation 2:17
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Visionary,

Interesting thought.

Often when asked "Why is G-d" often spelled "G-d"?

Some Traditional Jews, will point this out to you.

The third of the Ten Commandments reads: "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" (Exodus 20:7).

And then may would say to you.

What in God's name?

And tell you that the biblical reference to God as Yehova (Jehova), spelled out with the Hebrew charactors yad, hay, vav, hay, is generally considered the "authentic" name of God, a name never to be pronouced (except by the High Priest when officiating on Yom Kippur) or written out.

Over the centuries other names for God, as I am sure you know as Adonai (also pronounced Adonoy), "Lord," were give the same status.

Adonai was (and still is) used in Judaism only in prayer.

On other occasions ha-Shem or Adoshem were used in its stead.

Of course, as you know, Ha-Shem means "the Name."

Adoshem is a contraction of Adonai and ha-Shem.

As noted in my earlier post, it has only been in the last few decades, this new practice has come into vogue in Judaism of not writing out in full the English names "God" or "Lord."

Most rabbinic authorites consider this to be without a foundation and no more than a fad. However, of course, these is certainly nothing wrong with someone chosing to express their reverence for God, by doing this.

Moreover, as you may know if you were to attend Messianic shul (synagogue)that is very traditional Jewish, you would see the name God in English written that way.

My shul writes it that way, too.

Mostly to help traditional Jews who have come to the faith who may attend, or who may visit to feel more comfortable is the primary reason for it.

Shalom.

Yehuda

Upvote 0