Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between all the groups of baptists(i.e SBC,IFB etc etc..)?
Very broad question! I'm certain that this will not be the complete answer you are looking for. There are some major differences between the two in your list, which is intended to cover all others as well.

The difference between the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) and the many Independent Fundamentalist Baptists (IFB), is that the INDEPENDENT are not tied so closely to a group of other Churches. These do not have a Convention of other similar Churches defining what they stand on, as a basis for their beliefs. On the other hand, the SBC meets regularly, elects officers, and decides as a group what they will stand upon as the truth, and defines their firmly held positions and beliefs on certain matters.

I do not think it is WRONG for either to have their idea of the right way for Churches to be run, but the wrong directions of one Church, or Group, should not misdirect any others. Many people take exception to the positions upheld in Conventions by the Churches that allow their churches to be run that way. Their independence is intended to distance themselves from Churches that accept things because of the pressures of society and the world in general.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟106,060.00
Faith
Baptist
What is the difference between all the groups of baptists(i.e SBC,IFB etc etc..)?

There are approximately 250 Baptist denominations in the United States, and more of them in other parts of the world. There are also thousands of independent Baptist churches—mostly in the United States. Baptist beliefs vary greatly from denomination to denomination, and from church to church, and these beliefs represent an extremely wide spectrum of theological opinion.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟42,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's even divisions in the baptists denominations..

Old Regular Baptists...most are free will in belief, with a few...including me...that are not.

United Baptists...some believe in a fall from grace, others do not...
a few hither and yon aren't free will in their belief, but they are in the extreme minority, iirc...

Upvote 0