A question about a bible verse...

BK4G

Dec 4, 2006
✟15,160.00
Faith
Protestant
Romans 12:1-2
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

the mind is really complicated though...

people can attempt to renew their conscious minds but what about the unconscious part? can the unconscious mind be renewed? ppl cant really control their unconscious minds....

u may be renewing the conscious part of your mind through conscious activities such as thinking in another way and through knowledge, learning etc...however, the unconscious part of your mind may still be conformed to the "pattern of the world"...

maybe im analysing this too much?

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
HI BK,

Not that it's complicated, but it's Satan's territory, it the our battleground, and if we use it too much then we will become confused and in conflicte all the time.

Our heart is the best place to work from, as that is our spiritual mind.

people can attempt to renew their conscious minds but what about the unconscious part? can the unconscious mind be renewed? ppl cant really control their unconscious minds....
Don't assess things in the psyhcology of things, then you will walk into the enemy's snares and traps.

u may be renewing the conscious part of your mind through conscious activities such as thinking in another way and through knowledge, learning etc...however, the unconscious part of your mind may still be conformed to the "pattern of the world"...
Actually, in the process of renewing your mind you are also healing your "soul".

Your "soul" is carrying all the past hurts, and offences around within the heart.

The "soul" consists of your mind, will, heart, and emotions.

Now if our carnal mind is in control then we will have problems, and much of that is caused by our "emotions" and "feelings" from past things in our lives that may have caused us to sin, and to have unforgiveness in our heart and mind.

So as we work to our inner healing, and our emotions are healed, then our pride will be overcomed and and we will no longer desire to be incharge using our "will", and then the carnal mind won't come into action, and our heart will do all the thinking in forgiveness and love.

Yep, can be dangerous most of the time.

Upvote 0

GodismyRefuge

Senior Veteran
May 30, 2004
✟19,529.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
J.B. Phillips has an outstanding and memorable translation of Romans 12:1-2:
With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give Him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to Him and acceptable by Him. Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the Plan of God for you is good, meets all His demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity.

read more
http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?book=ro&chapter=012

Upvote 0

BK4G

Dec 4, 2006
✟15,160.00
Faith
Protestant
HI BK,

Not that it's complicated, but it's Satan's territory, it the our battleground, and if we use it too much then we will become confused and in conflicte all the time.

Our heart is the best place to work from, as that is our spiritual mind.

Don't assess things in the psyhcology of things, then you will walk into the enemy's snares and traps.

Actually, in the process of renewing your mind you are also healing your "soul".

Your "soul" is carrying all the past hurts, and offences around within the heart.

Now if our carnal mind is in control then we will have problems, and much of that is caused by our "emotions" and "feelings" from past things in our lives that may have caused us to sin, and to have unforgiveness in our heart and mind.

So as we work to our inner healing, and our emotions are healed, then our pride will be overcomed and and we will no longer desire to be incharge using our "will", and then the carnal mind won't come into action, and our heart will do all the thinking in forgiveness and love.

Yep, can be dangerous most of the time.

"

Now if our carnal mind is in control then we will have problems"

but the bible says the heart is deceiving...

im just saying that people are conformed to the pattern of the world at different levels - at the conscious level and the subconscious level...we can at least struggle to control the conscious aspect through actions but the subconscious is beyond our control...

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As we allow the truth about Jesus to become part of our lives we are changed. This is what Paul was saying. That transformation will reach into your inner being, whatever you may call it.

Remember too, it is the life of Jesus within us that transforms us, not just our own efforts.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnZ is right. It is through understanding and comprehending Jesus that we are transformed inside and out. The only way we can do that is through the Word of God. Meditate on scripture, memorize it, and let it sink in to your core. Then, we become transformed.

Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
Queensland the Sunshine state :)
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow I read this and was thinking about this same thing yesterday.

Man, fallen man, may be transformed by the renewing of the mind, so that he can "prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." How does he prove this? By the Holy Spirit taking possession of his mind, spirit, heart, and character. Where does the proving come in? "We are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men." A real work is wrought by the Holy Spirit upon the human character, and its fruits are seen. {6BC 1080.4}
Just as a good tree will bear good fruit, so will the tree that is actually planted in the Lord's garden produce good fruit unto eternal life. Besetting sins are overcome; evil thoughts are not allowed in the mind; evil habits are purged from the soul temple. The tendencies which have been biased in a wrong direction are turned in a right direction. Wrong dispositions and feelings are changed, new principles of action supplied, and there is a new standard of character. Holy tempers and sanctified emotions are now the fruit borne upon the Christian tree. An entire transformation has taken place. This is the work to be wrought. {6BC 1080.5}

We see by experience that in our own human strength, resolutions and purposes are of no avail. Must we, then, give up our determined efforts? No; although our experience testifies that we cannot possibly do this work ourselves, help has been laid upon One who is mighty to do it for us. But the only way we can secure the help of God is to put ourselves wholly in His hands, and trust Him to work for us. As we lay hold of Him by faith, He does the work. The believer can only trust. As God works, we can work, trusting in Him and doing His will (MS 1a, 1890). {6BC 1080.6}

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God is the one who is doing the work in us to sanctify us (and renewing us)...so to answer your question about the unconscious, yes, it's being taken care of. Fear not.

Yes, we will still see evidence of our sinful selves in our daily routine, but please remember that God is the one who is changing you, no matter how much we struggle.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

Upvote 0

GodismyRefuge

Senior Veteran
May 30, 2004
✟19,529.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

a. Do not be conformed to this world warns us that the "world system" - the popular culture and manner of thinking that is in rebellion against God - will try to conform us to its ungodly pattern, and that process must be resisted.

b. But be transformed by the renewing of your mind: This is the opposite of being conformed to this world. The battle ground between conforming to the world and being transformed is within the mind of the believer. Christians must think differently.

i. "I don't want to be conformed to this world. I want to be transformed. How do I do it?" By the renewing of your mind. The problem with many Christians is they live based on feeling, or they are only concerned about doing.

ii. The life based on feeling says, "How do I feel today? How do I feel about my job? How do I feel about my wife? How do I feel about worship? How do I feel about the preacher?" This life by feeling will never know the transforming power of God, because it ignores the renewing of the mind.

iii. The life based on doing says, "Don't give me your theology. Just tell me what to do. Give me the four points for this and the seven keys for that." This life of doing will never know the transforming power of God, because it ignores the renewing of the mind.

iv. God is never against feeling and doing. He is a God of powerful and passionate feeling, and He commands us to be doers. Yet feelings and doing are completely insufficient foundations for the Christian life. The first questions cannot be "How do I feel?" or "What do I do?" Rather, it must be "What is true here? What does God's Word say?"

c. Transformed: This is the ancient Greek word metamorphoo - describing a metamorphosis. The same word is used to describe Jesus in His transfiguration (Mark 9:2-3). This is a glorious transformation!
http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?book=ro&chapter=012

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We train our own minds, and eventually the subconscious falls under the patterns of the conscious. Think about people who are in suicide cults. They took in information that seemed halfway sensible at the time, and gradually allowed insensibilities to seep in. Before they knew it, they were on the mass suicide track.

The thoughts that flit into our heads seem to carry a different level of responsibility. What you do with them is what counts. "Do not let the sun set on your anger" shows leniency in the initial emotion of anger, but responsibility in the follow-through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"

Now if our carnal mind is in control then we will have problems"

but the bible says the heart is deceiving...

im just saying that people are conformed to the pattern of the world at different levels - at the conscious level and the subconscious level...we can at least struggle to control the conscious aspect through actions but the subconscious is beyond our control...
Yes the heart can only be deceived and seduced by what is going on in your emotions, feelings, and what you want to believe, your will. All is then manifested in your mind, and then it settles upon your spiritual mind, your heart.

Have a read of a thread that I posted at:
http://christianforums.com/t6975198-healing-and-deliverance-counselling-part-1.html

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We train our own minds, and eventually the subconscious falls under the patterns of the conscious.

This is the case .

Whatever we spend time on in the conscious mind seeps into the subconscious and then reaches unto the heart , to bubble out the mouth and either justify or condemn us !

For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. <-----> Matthew 12:37

The subconscious stores the residue of our conscious leaning , and once stored , our possessive nature takes what we've invested ourself in , to heart , and we then become impassioned to speak of the essential nature of those things which have preoccupied our mind .

If our spirit ( life force ) is in communion with Christ's Spirit , then we are inspired to think godly thoughts , which leave a godly residue , that forms a godly passion , of which we bear witness .

This is a process and does indeed take some time , patience , and perseverance .

Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? <-----> Ezekiel 18:31

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: ... <---> Proverbs 23:7

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. <-----> Philippians 4:8

And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; ... <---> Zechariah 8:17

The source of our inspiration becomes the force of our motivation and the nature of our notions determines the course of our motion .

The conscious mind is the battlefield where we initially need to learn to be obedient to Christ , ( repent - literally means - to think differently ) , once we are consistently so , the rest of our being can be brought into harmony with God's Will .

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds )
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
<-----> 2nd Corinthians 10:4+5

But if our mind is not singular -

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. <-----> James 1:8

So -

...How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. ... <---> 1st Kings 18:21

Go thee one way or other, either on the right hand, or on the left, whithersoever thy face is set. <-----> Ezekiel 21:16

Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. <-----> Matthew 12:33

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. <-----> Revelation 3:15

Hear ye, O mountains, the LORD'S controversy, and ye strong foundations of the earth: for the LORD hath a controversy with his people, and he will plead with Israel. <-----> Micah 6:2

Consistency is key .

May The Lord Be Pleased !

wm

Upvote 0