Livingston MT
✟7,819.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have an idea for a passion play, that will center around the experiences of a Roman Soldier we will call "Flavius".
Flavius was there when the servant of a Roman officer, who was ill to the point of near death, suddenly recovered to full health, and he over heard the officer thanking a man called Jesus of Nazareth, even though the man never came to the house. Flavius was there the night Jesus was arrested, and found it odd that nobody mentioned his crime. Flavius took part in the scourging and mocking of Jesus, and even cast his lots for the robe when Christ was crucified. Flavius was also one of the soldier sent to guard this man's tomb, although he did'nt understand why it was neccisary, or why Pilate would give such an order. Then, as the tomb was being opened by such a power as not to be seen, Flavius cought a glimpse of an angel and the risen Christ whom he had seen die on the cross, just before he was struck unconscious by the power of God. For the next 40 days, Flavius desperatly sought the man called Jesus, hearing rumor after rumor of him being seen alive, until, at the Mount of Olives, Flavius witnesses the ascention of the Lord into heaven. Flavius gives himself over to Christ and becomes a believer, and is eventually martyred for his faith in the Colleseum

any ideas? comments? input?

dorkelf

Apr 11, 2007
✟7,621.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like an interesting angle to me. One thing to consider - the story of Flavius you're presenting in your brief synopsis is coming across a lot like the story of Paul, and those are some pretty big shoes to fill. :bow: In order to make Flavius a little more distinct, I'd recommend narrowing the focus, maybe directing that focus more towards the events leading towards his Martyrdom. I'd definitely recommend resisting the temptation to tell every aspect of the passion story from this POV. Think of Sparticus, a great example of an interesting, multi-faceted character who was very peripheral to the passion, and yet the passion story is still there. Appropriate for a passion play? Maybe not - people do expect the passion story to be very present and not too peripheral. But something akin to that approach is what I'd recommend.

Paul

Upvote 0

Historygeek

Jan 2, 2007
Livingston MT
✟7,819.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It sounds like an interesting angle to me. One thing to consider - the story of Flavius you're presenting in your brief synopsis is coming across a lot like the story of Paul, and those are some pretty big shoes to fill. :bow: In order to make Flavius a little more distinct, I'd recommend narrowing the focus, maybe directing that focus more towards the events leading towards his Martyrdom. I'd definitely recommend resisting the temptation to tell every aspect of the passion story from this POV. Think of Sparticus, a great example of an interesting, multi-faceted character who was very peripheral to the passion, and yet the passion story is still there. Appropriate for a passion play? Maybe not - people do expect the passion story to be very present and not too peripheral. But something akin to that approach is what I'd recommend.

Paul
yeah! I like your idea about detailing the events leading up to Flavius being martyred. perhaps he witnessed to his fellow legionares, or refused to deny his beliefs when confronted by a pagan beureaucrat. In fact, you have just given me an excellent idea! the play could start out with Flavius telling his story before a corrupt Roman official who has already decided these Christians are more trouble than they're worth, and is furious that a Roman soldier would embrace such rubbish. When he demands that Flavius renounce his beliefs, Flavius refuses, and tell the reasons why (i.e. the story of his service in Jerusalem, and how he came to know Jesus).
the play ens with Flavius being sent to the Arena, presumably to become Lion-fodder. See this story is already taking on a life of it's own! :)

Upvote 0

dorkelf

Apr 11, 2007
✟7,621.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
yeah! I like your idea about detailing the events leading up to Flavius being martyred. perhaps he witnessed to his fellow legionares, or refused to deny his beliefs when confronted by a pagan beureaucrat. In fact, you have just given me an excellent idea! the play could start out with Flavius telling his story before a corrupt Roman official who has already decided these Christians are more trouble than they're worth, and is furious that a Roman soldier would embrace such rubbish. When he demands that Flavius renounce his beliefs, Flavius refuses, and tell the reasons why (i.e. the story of his service in Jerusalem, and how he came to know Jesus).
the play ens with Flavius being sent to the Arena, presumably to become Lion-fodder. See this story is already taking on a life of it's own! :)
Yea I like the direction you're going with it. Hope it works out for you,

Paul

Upvote 0