• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

a parent who is not one

never4now

Jan 16, 2010
✟15,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have one parent or the other who just does not act like it? As in, emotionally distant, uninvolved, unloving, uncaring, abusive, ect?

It is my mom for me. This is something I have begun to realize more and more the past 6 months. I used to think it was normal until I went to college and started seeing other girls who had real mothers. Their mothers called them all the time, sent them packages in the mail, cared about them, cried for them, said "I love you". I can't IMAGINE my mom doing those things. I was always the child she did not like growing up and I have no good memories with her, after the age of about 5. Recently I was trying to put together a video for my parents anniversary in which each of us kids talked about the things we admired about their marriage and our favorite memory with each parent. Not one of my siblings could come up with any good memories of my mother. I tried to help them think of some but I ended up scrapping the project because it would have been very obvious that we only had good memories with our father.

So, lately some of the things that have been bothering me...I try to talk to my mom on occasion about my life, I mean even just in general, life, work, ect. She has absolutely no interest whatsoever in it. She tries to play it off like shes busy. She makes time to call my cousin and my other sister and talk to them for hours. She NEVER did that when I was away at college. When I used to call her she was busy, call back later. I'm not exaggerating when I say I probably had an actual conversation with her maybe 12-15 times in the 4 years I was away at school. She simply has no interest in my life or what is going on with me. She never expresses pride that I am the second person in our family to graduate from college, I've gone on to a good career, I'm financially responsible and independent. She's just never happy with me. Its all negative with her. I feel seriously emotionally abandoned and I see her doing this to my younger siblings as well. After the age of 4 or 5 there are NO hugs NO kisses, NO I love yous, just nothing. In the absence of that there is the NEGATIVE. Its always negative with her. Sorry this is so long, I guess I'm just venting. I just don't understand it. Last mother's day I spent an hour at the store looking for a card that "fit" and left empty handed.
I used to wish someone would "adopt" me and act like mothers are supposed to so I could see what its really like. My mom was never a mother to me.

How do you handle this? And how do you help younger siblings who are just beginning to experience it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
:hug:
I'm sorry, sweetie. My mother was the same... still is, and it still hurts.
Just try to remember that her behaviour is her problem, it is nothing to do with who you are! You didn't deserve to be treated like that. :hug:

As for younger siblings... just make sure that they know that they are loved, appreciated and special. You can't take away the pain of not having that love from their mother, but you and others can help to fill that gap and keep their self-esteem intact.

Reactions: ido
Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry, sweetie. My mother was the same... still is, and it still hurts.
Just try to remember that her behaviour is her problem, it is nothing to do with who you are! You didn't deserve to be treated like that. :hug:

As for younger siblings... just make sure that they know that they are loved, appreciated and special. You can't take away the pain of not having that love from their mother, but you and others can help to fill that gap and keep their self-esteem intact.

:clap::amen:

Upvote 0

Theresasjourney

Be Still And Know That He Is God!
Jul 22, 2005
Wisconsin
✟29,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I totally hear you and get this and the emotional pain involved and working through abandonment issues. My mom was the same way..
What worked for me working through this part of my healing journey was taking time to really look into earlier generations..the family dynamics and talking to trusted people who knew me as a small child and how my mom was with me...
I knew my grandparents[my moms parents]. I know my uncles n aunt and know all their familly dynamics from being raised in the same family as my mom...
This is not an excuse for her emotionally abandoning me..but I learned and God helped me grasp to my wounded core self that my mom was the way she was to me b/c of how she was raised. She knew nothing different...she herself was emotionally abandoned..and therefore a survivor. She had no clue as to how to emotionally connect/bond to her children. I actually ended up with Gods help giving her mercy n grace and by the time she passed away and had b/c a Christian herself...I was able to thank her for being my mom...

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do you handle this? And how do you help younger siblings who are just beginning to experience it?

I am learning to find the love I need in God, and in the family of God.

We read in the Word:

"A father to the fatherless,
a defender of widows,
is God in His holy dwelling.
God sets the lonely in families ..."

Psalm 68:5-6

When we are born again, we are born into a new family.
No, we don't forget the old, but we do have a new family now,
where we can love and be loved. God does this for us. :)

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I was always made to feel like the relationship problems between me and my parents were *my* fault. I grew up being criticized, put down, and basically told that I was a failure at everything unless I did things exactly the way my mom thought I should. I rebelled against it every step of the way, so my childhood/teen years were very chaotic.

I received a letter from my dad when I was about 21 and he apologized for the mistakes he made as a parent, told me how much he loved me, and how proud of me he is. I absolutely sobbed when I read it. I realized in that moment that I had to make a choice. I had to either continue trying to change my parents' ways with no success and a lot of heartache and disappointment - or, I had to accept that they did the best they knew to do...even if their best wasn't very good. If I chose to accept them for who they were, I had to choose to forgive them and move past the damage they had done. My mom has never apologized and my dad hasn't changed much, despite the apology. So, I continue to forgive them even without their asking for forgiveness. It helps tremendously!

I have the opposite problem as you, in that my parents are overly-involved in my life and still try to control the choices I make and the things I do...and I'm in my mid-30s. :doh: At 32, I put an offer on a home for myself and my two sons and when I called to celebrate with my parents (I was so excited!), I got questioned about the fact that I didn't ask them to see the house first before I made the offer - as if I was not capable of making a "grown up" decision like that on my own. Oy. I have worked hard to put up boundaries, though.

For your situation, I would recommend seeking out fellowship with an older woman from your church or work that you get along with and who could mentor you and be like a mother-figure to you. And, do as Criada suggested. Be the love and affection for your younger siblings that your mom is not, to the best of your ability.

Upvote 0