Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
You have probably all known about this website for months but i found it earlier this evening and thought it was great!

EDIT: I've removed the link to the website as apparantly it questions the validity of Vatican II. My bad!

Pax Christi :)

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TomUK said:
You have probably all known about this website for months but i found it earlier this evening and thought it was great!

edited

Pax Christi :)

I, personally, dislike the site (although parts are quite good). It questions the validity of Vatican II and should be approached with the utmost of discretion.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Really? I've been looking at a look of the liturgical stuff and have found it really useful and informative. However if it questions Vatican II then it is not acceptable to post on OBOB - i will remove the link.

Upvote 0

VoxClamantis

Jul 16, 2006
Visit site
✟15,133.00
Faith
Catholic
Pardon the intrusion, but I wrote and run the Fish Eaters website, and do not "deny the validity of Vatican II." In fact, I go out of my way to show, on the "All About This Site" page, what I think. Please don't trash work I've spent YEARS of my life doing because of vicious rumor.

-- and TomUK: thanks for the kind words!

Reactions: plainswolf
Upvote 0

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Vox,

I am glad to hear you don't dispute the "validity" of Vatican II. That being said, any site that has a link to the SSPX (in your "Traditional Catholicism 101: A Brief Primer" page) as well as several links to Fr. Gruner's site is going to raise several flags in my own estimation. The numerous references to "neo-Catholicism" throughout your site also serve to raise an eyebrow or two from me.

My observations were just that: MY personal observations...and were not the product of a "vicious rumor" - nor should my observations be characterized as starting one either.

You have many wonderful pages in your site and you are right to be proud of the work you have done.

That being said, there are many other elements to your site that, again, in my own personal observation, appear to foster a spirit of dissent.

Just my opinion. Others are entitled to theirs.

God's Peace,

NewMan

Upvote 0

VoxClamantis

Jul 16, 2006
Visit site
✟15,133.00
Faith
Catholic
NewMan99 said:
Dear Vox,

I am glad to hear you don't dispute the "validity" of Vatican II. That being said, any site that has a link to the SSPX (in your "Traditional Catholicism 101: A Brief Primer" page) as well as several links to Fr. Gruner's site is going to raise several flags in my own estimation.

The "Traditional Catholicism 101" page is an introduction to the traditionalist movement and it takes no sides in any "SSPX vs. FSSP vs. Whatever" debates. To speak of the "movement" without mentioning the SSPX would be silly. (I, BTW, attend Masses offered by the FSSP).

The numerous references to "neo-Catholicism" throughout your site also serve to raise an eyebrow or two from me.

There is such a thing as "neo-Catholicism." In a world in which some Catholic priests pass Christ around in wicker baskets, women feign getting "ordained" by validly ordained Bishops, and pumpkins pre-empt Crosses on altars, I think it's clear.

My observations were just that: MY personal observations...and were not the product of a "vicious rumor" - nor should my observations be characterized as starting one either.

The rumor line was in response to TomUK's having written, "EDIT: I've removed the link to the website as apparantly it questions the validity of Vatican II. My bad!" This sort of thing happens all the time with my site (I think because Dmoz/Google has it shelved, QUITE WRONGLY, under "Not In Communion With Rome > SSPX" in their directory -- and will not change it, even after repeated requests. So the meme started and got spread: "That site is really good -- but don't go to it! It's 'not in communion with Rome'" I see this all the time at Catholic forums, and it is quite frustrating.

At the site's forum, one WILL find trads of all varieties -- but the site itself should not pose a problem to anyone who uses the 1962 Missal.

You have many wonderful pages in your site and you are right to be proud of the work you have done.

Thanks. It is a total labor of love. I enjoy working on it, and there is a lot -- a LOT -- of information there. But dealing with misunderstandings is the "not fun" part...

That being said, there are many other elements to your site that, again, in my own personal observation, appear to foster a spirit of dissent.

Well, I do dissent -- not from Vatican II (understood only in light of Tradition, as Pope Benedict XVI says it should), not from His Holiness when speaking using his magisterium -- but from "the spirit of Vatican II," false presentations of Catholic teaching, and the changes in Sacramental rites (though they be valid).

Just my opinion. Others are entitled to theirs.

God's Peace,

NewMan

Indeed! Glad to be able to present "my side of the story." :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I love Fisheaters. It helped bring me into the Church.

That said, I am cautious in certain sections of the website, because at times there is a definite anti-VII tone. However, I do not feel that the website, nor the webmaster, is actually against the council -- perhaps just suspicious of poor post-conciliar implementation.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
plainswolf said:
Hiya, Vox

I love the site! Fisheaters is a goldmine of Catholic stuff. There is devotional informatation there I haven't been able to find anywhere else..

+Mark

Absolutely true. There are some ancient Catholic traditions, sacramentals, devotions and practices remembered by fisheaters that I haven't found in any similar compendium online. I love that site.

Reactions: plainswolf
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.