✟7,685.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello friends,

I grew up in a Lutheran church in a small city. Our church played (and still does) relatively old hymns. I remember "How Great Thou Art" most, and I love music like that. It wasn't until I was about 13 until I found out about popular pop/metal/rock music that were said to be Christian bands.

I'm a musician, played guitar since I was 13 (before I discovered Christian contemporary) and was always fond of secular music, even after that. My life outside the church, I grew up with great rock bands like Motley Crue, Van Halen, Metallica, and Journey. As well as the best blues guitarists: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton. I can say I was very very fortunate to be growing up with such great music, which I found out later not everyone was familiar with. They labeled it as "Classic rock" or some of my friends now: "oldies". :confused:

I'm 16 right now and still play guitar, I love it. I'm in a band, my friends love Christian contemporary and really want to play covers of that, I don't entirely mind. Somehow I talked them into doing Chuck Berry, Oasis, and Blink 128 :)
It's just, I think that music is great for everybody, and shouldn't necessarily be narrowed down to one religion. I'm not saying Christian contemporary is bad, I just think that it would be great if music was made universally, to touch everyone's hearts, emotions. I would think that atheists would stay away from any band labeled "Christian rock". I'm just trying to care for them as much as I care for myself, though their views may be different.

My friends looked at me strange when I explained this to them, "Do you believe in Christ?" I said, "Yes!" And tried to explain some more, to no avail. Though, I don't think they resented me for voicing my opinion. We're still a band today, and great friends :)

Just a thought.
Thanks.

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Christian who prefers secular music. I have nothing against CCM but I find most of it to be dull and predictable. There are also a lot of secular artists (U2, The Gaslight Anthem, Switchfoot) that feature Christian members and contain really uplifting and wonderful lyrics.

It's different for everyone. I've just always enjoyed secular music more and found more of those artists to be interesting and exciting. Listen to what you like and don't be afraid to keep branching out and exploring. :)

Upvote 0
B

blackjellybean

Hello friends,

I grew up in a Lutheran church in a small city. Our church played (and still does) relatively old hymns. I remember "How Great Thou Art" most, and I love music like that. It wasn't until I was about 13 until I found out about popular pop/metal/rock music that were said to be Christian bands.

I'm a musician, played guitar since I was 13 (before I discovered Christian contemporary) and was always fond of secular music, even after that. My life outside the church, I grew up with great rock bands like Motley Crue, Van Halen, Metallica, and Journey. As well as the best blues guitarists: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton. I can say I was very very fortunate to be growing up with such great music, which I found out later not everyone was familiar with. They labeled it as "Classic rock" or some of my friends now: "oldies". :confused:

I'm 16 right now and still play guitar, I love it. I'm in a band, my friends love Christian contemporary and really want to play covers of that, I don't entirely mind. Somehow I talked them into doing Chuck Berry, Oasis, and Blink 128 :)
It's just, I think that music is great for everybody, and shouldn't necessarily be narrowed down to one religion. I'm not saying Christian contemporary is bad, I just think that it would be great if music was made universally, to touch everyone's hearts, emotions. I would think that atheists would stay away from any band labeled "Christian rock". I'm just trying to care for them as much as I care for myself, though their views may be different.

My friends looked at me strange when I explained this to them, "Do you believe in Christ?" I said, "Yes!" And tried to explain some more, to no avail. Though, I don't think they resented me for voicing my opinion. We're still a band today, and great friends :)

Just a thought.
Thanks.

Good music is good music.

Sometimes I have a problem with the lyrics, for example I may like hip-hop but I just can't do "**** the police", my conscience won't allow it.

Other than that, there is some interesting stuff both within and without overtly Christian music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nikki2323

Jul 26, 2012
Nashville, TN
✟7,615.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it's a personal conviction. I had gotten into some pretty bad music and it was effecting how I thought and viewed things. I gave it up for awhile and then decided that I didn't need to give up all secular music, just the stuff that is bad.
So, keep on playing secular music. Just don't let it change you. :)

Upvote 0

ChildOfTheLight

Bible Thumpin' Jesus Freak
Aug 2, 2012
Flint MI
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Music is music, Although, remember your brain is like a sponge what you see and hear it absorbs. so if you are constantly listening to filthy music and watching filthy movies, your brain plays off of that. But in the same way that if you listen to uplifting music it effects you just as much if not more.

Hope this helps. God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All secular music is not created equal. There's both wonderful stuff... and dreadful stuff.

I think one of the main reasons why I like secular music is that I am not a fan of singers with an American accent (which excludes nine-tenths of the music in my town's Christian shop right there) and have an automatic gag reflex if the singer sounds like they're trying to sound spiritual (which excludes nine-tenths of what manages to remain). I have a few Christian CDs but I've had them for about - what? - six months now and still have not managed to get through them. My level of tolerance seems to be in the realm of three songs at most.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Core90

May 8, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟7,713.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's a personal conviction. I had gotten into some pretty bad music and it was effecting how I thought and viewed things. I gave it up for awhile and then decided that I didn't need to give up all secular music, just the stuff that is bad.
So, keep on playing secular music. Just don't let it change you. :)
Almost exactly the same situation here. In high school, I got into harder and harder forms of metal, and it wasn't till shortly after graduation that I realized how anti-Christianity alot of these bands were.
For a while I listened only to Christan Rock, and I found alot of awesome Christian songs on Blast.fm, on iTunes radio. They play all genres of Christian Rock.
Now, I listen to Christian and secular, but I always try to evaluate the lyrics before I download a song, to make sure I'm not getting a negative or anti-Christian message that will influence me.
There are lots of secular bands with Christian members as well. Flyleaf, Skillet, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Alice Cooper, U2 for example.

Upvote 0

cafefan374

Moderate Centrist
Apr 21, 2011
Deep South
✟20,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You are not the first one that I've heard say this. I know several Christians who say they just cannot get into christian music. It's just not their thing. They find it to be generic, cliche, predictable, etc. So it all depends on what kind of secular music you'd prefer to listen to over christian music. Me personally, there is some secular music that I prefer over christian and vice versa.

Upvote 0