Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Pretend you are face to face with someone who, while they do believe in God, is not what most would define as a Christian. What would you say in order to bring them to Christ? You may take all of the time you need, you may put up as many posts you like, you may not, however, use fear (i.e. 'If you don't accept Christ, you will go to hell!')

C

Cardinal John H. Newman

Pretend you are face to face with someone who, while they do believe in God, is not what most would define as a Christian. What would you say in order to bring them to Christ? You may take all of the time you need, you may put up as many posts you like, you may not, however, use fear (i.e. 'If you don't accept Christ, you will go to hell!')

There are many things I could say.
But I think I would ask them what category of people they belong to.
There are three types:
1) Those who don't believe in God.
2) Those who believe in God (even the devils do).
3) Those who believe God.

As a scientist, i look to reason as a tremendous help in that. But normally it takes time. Conversion can't be overnight. Conversion is forever. We can accept Christ now but we must also live our lives according to him- that's the hard part. So we are always increasing our conversion in Him.

Upvote 0

JourneyToPeace

His law is love and His gospel is peace
Sep 17, 2010
Canada
✟9,970.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

As the saying goes, "preach the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words". I don't think there is a formula we can use to "bring someone to Christ". One never worked for me, and it doesn't tend to "ring true" to most people who are 'evangelized' by well meaning Christians. Why? I think it's because they sense it's a practiced formula. In some cases, a sales pitch. And the truth of Jesus Christ cannot be proven that way.

I have noticed that Jesus Christ Himself didn't use any one line, or explanation, when He spoke with those who didn't know Him yet. The only consistent thing He did was make each and every person feel noticed, valued, wanted, helped, healed, held to account but forgiven, and finally changed. Only THEN did He say "follow Me", or something similar.

If we want to show someone Who Christ is, I believe we need to do the best to model His love in our lives. Get to know people. Listen to them. Pray for them. Care for them. Love them. Serve them -- do some more foot-washing, and a little less 'talking at' people about how good God is. And it's a great thing that we are NOT perfect, because our own mistakes and sins allow us to show others what humility is, what repentance is, what forgiveness is.

So.... all that to say... what would I say in order to bring someone to Christ?

With much prayer as I did so, for wisdom and discernment, I honestly think I'd just start off with "let me buy you a coffee. Tell me about yourself."

....and let the Holy Spirit, Who is the one who changes hearts anyways, take it where He will...

Reactions: Winter
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Charis,

I thought that this was going to be a post with some response from you.

The above poster wrote:
As the saying goes, "preach the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words".

That doesn't come from the Scriptures. That's generally an encouragement that many use who are wary of sharing their testimony. There is ample New Testament evidence that the teaching of the gospel from one person to another was always done through words. There is, of course, the admonition that unbelievers should see the difference in our lives by how we live, but all the Pauline epsitles were written as he journeyed through all of the cities and towns of the first century teaching and preaching. Paul encourages his protege, Timothy, to always be prepared to give a reason... I forget who it was that first coined the above phrase, but its probably a good reason that his words weren't canonized as Scripture. The words simply aren't true and there is no Scriptural basis to support such a teaching.

I hope to hear from you soon and you may IM me anytime if you like.

God bless.
In Christ, Ted.

Upvote 0

JourneyToPeace

His law is love and His gospel is peace
Sep 17, 2010
Canada
✟9,970.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Charis,

I thought that this was going to be a post with some response from you.

The above poster wrote:
As the saying goes, "preach the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words".

That doesn't come from the Scriptures.

Correct. :) It's GENERALLY attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, although from my understanding, we don't know for sure precisely who said it. In the end, it doesn't matter: the point of it is to preach Christ with our lives. And THAT is a very biblical concept.

That's generally an encouragement that many use who are wary of sharing their testimony.

Really? I honestly wasn't aware of that. The quote is just a guideline, a way of saying "always let people know about Christ with how you live, and when you need to actually SAY something, use words to tell them about Christ, too." I don't take the quote as scripture by any means. :) However, I'll note that it certainly DOESN'T say "do NOT use words". It says the opposite. Sometimes it is VERY necessary to use words.

But it's also necessary to be practical: Jesus commanded us to feed the hungry, and clothe the naked, and visit the imprisoned. He said that whatever we do "to the least of these", we do to Him. He was perfect, and yet He washed the feet of those with Him. How much MORE are we called to serve with humility, those who are as equally fallen as we are?

I know the phrase "actions speak louder than words" isn't in the Bible either, but that doesn't make it untrue. Christians have a long and rich history of showing through their actions exactly what the gospel of Christ is. We feed and love people in His name -- and we do so even before those people know His name.

There is ample New Testament evidence that the teaching of the gospel from one person to another was always done through words. There is, of course, the admonition that unbelievers should see the difference in our lives by how we live, but all the Pauline epsitles were written as he journeyed through all of the cities and towns of the first century teaching and preaching.

I don't disagree at all. Although I'd add that when we're interacting with people who don't believe in Jesus Christ, even if they DO believe in God, it does take a lot more than words alone. It takes prayer, discernment, and above all, the guidance and work of the Holy Spirit. He prepares hearts to receive His gospel. And the Bible calls us to serve, as Christ served. To love as He loves. To relate to people where they are, so that they can understand and turn to Jesus Christ.

Paul encourages his protege, Timothy, to always be prepared to give a reason... I forget who it was that first coined the above phrase, but its probably a good reason that his words weren't canonized as Scripture. The words simply aren't true and there is no Scriptural basis to support such a teaching.

I hope to hear from you soon and you may IM me anytime if you like.

God bless.
In Christ, Ted.

Yes, we always need to be prepared to give a reason for our faith. And when we're asked questions about God, about Jesus, about why we believe what we do... we need to be as ready as we can to explain the hope in Christ we have. Verbally. :)

The OP asked us, though, "Pretend you are face to face with someone who, while they do believe in God, is not what most would define as a Christian. What would you say in order to bring them to Christ?"

...so, perhaps I simply took the question a different way. I focused more on the style (the method) of getting to know people, and listening to them, etc etc so that when it actually came time to SAY something when they had questions, the answers given may be better received. Or even if someone never asks me a question about Jesus, it's my prayer that if they understand they are valued and cared for as a person because OF Jesus Christ, they'd be more receptive to the message of Jesus.

Hopefully that made a little sense.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Edouard

Mar 15, 2003
Auburn Hills, MI
Visit site
✟7,902.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Remeber the parable of the sower.

All we can do is plant seeds. We may never know the result or outcome of how we have impacted someone. We must pray and rely on the Holy Spirit.

What to say:

IF they believe in God, what actually do they believe about God and why?
Take there previous sociological enviroment into account..

edouard.
Grace and Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

married0116

Jan 22, 2011
✟7,641.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We need to rely on the Holy Spirit to move through people. We can talk all day long, but ultimately that person's heart has to be open. When it's open, there is understanding, and through that, he or she may accept Christ. It requires patience on our part -- we cannot merely press a button and have someone instantly accept Christ as Lord and Savior. Sometimes it takes YEARS or even DECADES for people to accept Him. We can give our own testimony of what He has done in our lives, but it is ultimately through Him that people accept Christ. They have to want it, yearn for Him, and see a need!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Celtic D

Pretend you are face to face with someone who, while they do believe in God, is not what most (conservatives (my addition)) would define as a Christian. What would you say in order to bring them to Christ? You may take all of the time you need, you may put up as many posts you like, you may not, however, use fear (i.e. 'If you don't accept Christ, you will go to hell!')

The red part is crucial - just because someone is not a Christian in your eyes does not mean they are not a Christian. You probably wouldn't define me as a Christian either if you knew all the facts, but I wouldn't thank you for trying to convert me because I am a Christian. Just because people don't sit neatly in your little boxes does not mean that they are not Christians.

Upvote 0
D

d'Albert

Well, faith comes by hearing [the gospel]; I like Paul's example in I Cor 15:
1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to t he Scriptures,
4and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
7 then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; 8and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.

Not all of us are as fortunate as Philip to encounter someone like the Ethiopian who was struggling to understand Isa 53 (see Acts 8) - but his example illustrates the need to preach Jesus from whatever context we're given.

Whether it's Paul or Philip or whomever - people come to faith by hearing the gospel message about Jesus' life, death, and resurrection - by then confessing their [own] sins, by repenting, and obeying Him who died on our behalf.

Whatever the context, the message is essentially the same for all. Hear; Believe; Confess; Repent; be Baptized for the forgiveness of [your] sins so as to receive the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit (Rom 10, Acts 2, etc.). Where He died, was buried, and rose again on our behalf, we too are given the grace to participate in same (Rom 6) so as to receive His inheritance - if we remain faithful.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We are incapable of bringing people to Christ. That is the work of the Holy Spirit. We can preach the gospel so the Holy Spirit can work in them but if they resist the Holy Spirit there isn't anything that can be done about it. They need to make a change in their heart themselves.

John 6:44 (English Standard Version)
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Romans 10:14-17 (English Standard Version)
How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?" So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ

Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would try to focus on the Love of God for us and the benefits that come from communion with God. Maybe try to describe the futility of life as most people live it for fame, money, pleasure, success, etc. How nothing other than God can ultimately fill the void we have in our soul. That everything else will let us down. In other words try to let them know that it's the "one thing needful".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why without fear?

To me, the use of fear casts doubt on one's sincerity. People can say and do a lot of things when they are afraid and I don't believe I serve a God that is concerned only with lip service.

Upvote 0

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The red part is crucial - just because someone is not a Christian in your eyes does not mean they are not a Christian. You probably wouldn't define me as a Christian either if you knew all the facts, but I wouldn't thank you for trying to convert me because I am a Christian. Just because people don't sit neatly in your little boxes does not mean that they are not Christians.

I agree whole heartedly.

Upvote 0

Wanda Lee

Feb 5, 2011
Upland, Ca
Visit site
✟7,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To me, the use of fear casts doubt on one's sincerity. People can say and do a lot of things when they are afraid and I don't believe I serve a God that is concerned only with lip service.

Very true! However, there has to be times when the use of fear would bring a person to a heart felt change. Each encounter/discussion is going to be different and I believe we must be open to how the Spirit leads in that instance.

I agree that many people come to God for what they can get from him not because they love Him and want to KNOW Him.

Upvote 0