A Biblical Answer for VT Tragedy

Editorialist

Jun 14, 2005
✟197.00
Faith
Christian
In the Bible, quite a bit is said about the use of the tongue. In the Book of James, New Testament, Chapter 3, vs 3-10, we find the following:

"We put a bit into the mouth of a horse to make it obey us, and we are able to make it go where we want. Or think of a ship: big as it is and driven by such strong winds, it can be steered by a very small rudder and it goes wherever the pilot wants it to go. So it is with the tongue; small as it is, it can boast about great things.

"Just think how large a forest can be set on fire by a tiny flame! And the tongue is like a fire. It is a world of wrong, occupying its place in our bodies and spreading evil through our whole being. It sets on fire the entire course of our existence with the fire that comes to it from hell itself. Man is able to tame and has tamed all other creatures--wild animals and birds, reptiles and fish. But no one has ever been able to tame the tongue. It is evil and uncontrollable, full of deadly poison. We use it to give thanks to our Lord and Father and also to CURSE OUR FELLOWMAN who is created in the likeness of God. Words of thanksgiving and cursing pour out from the same mouth.

"My brothers, this should not happen".

With all that said, we can find the reason this boy killed so many people. The press has repeatedly said the boy when young was constantly insulted with cruel and highly uncomplimentary remarks by his peers. And as such they became the fatal poison St. James describes above poisoning his mind with lethal thoughts of revenge, which finally poured out of him with tragic and mortal consequences at Virginia Tech.

Therefore, in this situation, gun control was not the answer. School lockdown is not the answer. Having enough security officials on hand and in the school is not the answer. Numerous committees and investigatory bodies will not provide the answer. However, the Word of God does provide the answer. If we can't accept the Bible as the inspired Word of God, we certainly can see it provides a psychiatirc insight to a lot of the mental problems we all face.

Let the example of the tragedy be this, which can prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future-- Do not put people down either in our conversations with them or others but rather speak encouraging words to those who are less fortunate than we, thus building people up rather than tearing them down.

I am positive if the people who were in this man's young life had done these things, this incident would not have happened and all 33 lives would still be in our midst. So who killed all these people; those who put this boy down. And no prosecution can be brought against them.

So let's all guard our tongue in conversation with others.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...snip...The press has repeatedly said the boy when young was constantly insulted with cruel and highly uncomplimentary remarks by his peers. And as such they became the fatal poison St. James describes above poisoning his mind with lethal thoughts of revenge, which finally poured out of him with tragic and mortal consequences at Virginia Tech.

And yet me as a trained killer (Thanks Military ) and being "picked on" for most of my teen & preteen life, made fun of, insulted, called names, social outcast (never even went any of my proms) I've never had the inkling of doing any of that.

So... while that may of been Part, it wasn't the whole.

My bet ? Chemical Imbalance in the brain.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And yet me as a trained killer (Thanks Military ) and being "picked on" for most of my teen & preteen life, made fun of, insulted, called names, social outcast (never even went any of my proms) I've never had the inkling of doing any of that.

So... while that may of been Part, it wasn't the whole.

My bet ? Chemical Imbalance in the brain.
Other than the military training, I had a similar childhood/teen years. And it never occurred to me either to go on a shooting rampage. Many kids are bullied and don't become killers. I agree, PGP, those that do have something fundamentally wrong with them not explainable by environment alone.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unless they release the materials he provided to NBC, there's really no way to be sure. Given what I'm reading on wikipedia. He had a flat affect probably resulting from his depression. From various sources it seems he opposed "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans.", and opposed materialism and hedonism.

My guess is that he didn't like the students because he thought they were shallow, and really didn't like their parents because they were rich upper-class people. I think the anger at these people and the depression alone would probably explain the spree killing, but the part I don't get is where he says "For my children, for my brothers and sisters that you ******, I did it for them… When the time came, I did it. I had to." I'm not aware of anything the US has done recently to South Korea. It's possible he supports North Korea, but I don't think that explains his problem with South Korea very well. If a South Korean kid wants to live in North Korea, I don't think it would be too difficult for them to move. If he's not referring to South Korea, then it's more obscure than I can imagine.

Upvote 0