USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you've had such horrible experiences. I have never experienced anything but niceness when going to church so I can't even offer any perspective from personal experience.

I'm not sure what to contribute, since you're tired of trying to find a church, but maybe you can try some online sermons? Are you a particular denomination or in a particular region?

I'm sure some others will come along to assist you.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What you have experienced is not unusual. There is a book written called "Glenda's Story" that Elizabeth Elliot used to recommend. It is the story of a woman who was a nurse on on her way home to commit suicide she picked up a tract someone had left at the hospital. That night she was saved. She started to attend the church in her neighborhood and quickly transitioned fro thinking she was the only one who did not know about Jesus to thinking that she was the only one who did.

Paul wrote the Corinthians (chapter 3) that the reason they had contention with each other was that they were immature (carnal). There are several reasons why this is so prevalent today.

1. A consumer society promotes the selfishness that defines carnality.
2. Denominations declare a complete doctrine that is inconsistent with humility, questioning, and spiritual growth.
3. Pharisaical pride abounds in an environment where one feels they have met all requirements.
4. A professional clergy class tends to reduce the average church attender to that of laborer and financial source instead of aspiring to Christ-likeness.

I used to teach a bible study for boys in juvenile detention. I was frequently asked which church they should go to. I told them that the people in almost any church would take one look at them and send them to a youth group where they would have pizza and go bowling. There they might ask what that had to do with Jesus and I said that would be a very good question.

Alternatively I suggested that when they visited a church they should keep an eye out for anyone who clearly showed the light and love of Christ and ask them to teach them to know Jesus like they did.

The take away here is that not everyone in a church is mature or even a Christian. You have to identify those from whom you can learn, those whom you can sere, and those who are best avoided.

• Winner
Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe first find out if a place has real example people who help you grow in Jesus. And if mature people are there, don't let evil and immature people decide what you do.
This is a good idea. One of the issues with the way church is done is that once you step foot into a church there is immediate pressure to become a member and start serving. That happened to me early when I returned to church fellowship and becoming a worker as a baby Christian hurt me deeply. It sort of stunted my spiritual growth, as I was spiritually undernourished while serving. It set me up for a fall unfortunately. It was God's mercy that helped me repent and keep going with God. But I see the effects still in my life as there are areas where I struggle spiritually and am still in need of learning.

What you have experienced is not unusual. There is a book written called "Glenda's Story" that Elizabeth Elliot used to recommend. It is the story of a woman who was a nurse on on her way home to commit suicide she picked up a tract someone had left at the hospital. That night she was saved. She started to attend the church in her neighborhood and quickly transitioned fro thinking she was the only one who did not know about Jesus to thinking that she was the only one who did.

Paul wrote the Corinthians (chapter 3) that the reason they had contention with each other was that they were immature (carnal). There are several reasons why this is so prevalent today.

1. A consumer society promotes the selfishness that defines carnality.
2. Denominations declare a complete doctrine that is inconsistent with humility, questioning, and spiritual growth.
3. Pharisaical pride abounds in an environment where one feels they have met all requirements.
4. A professional clergy class tends to reduce the average church attender to that of laborer and financial source instead of aspiring to Christ-likeness.

I used to teach a bible study for boys in juvenile detention. I was frequently asked which church they should go to. I told them that the people in almost any church would take one look at them and send them to a youth group where they would have pizza and go bowling. There they might ask what that had to do with Jesus and I said that would be a very good question.

Alternatively I suggested that when they visited a church they should keep an eye out for anyone who clearly showed the light and love of Christ and ask them to teach them to know Jesus like they did.

The take away here is that not everyone in a church is mature or even a Christian. You have to identify those from whom you can learn, those whom you can sere, and those who are best avoided.
Wow, this response is enlightening and makes a great deal of sense!!! I think I may have to find that book and read it. You're right, I have especially seen a lot of #1-4, it doesn't reflect Christ in the church. It's hard to find Godly, Christlike examples, or believers striving to be that. It's easy to be a carnal Christian or become one from being a baby Christian being surrounded by carnal Christians. They way truly is narrow indeed. I think I'll take the approach you mentioned to the young men who were in juvenile detention, it makes sense.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not first about serving Jesus. In Mark 3:14 we see the first reason given why Jesus chose His twelve men >

"that they might be with Him".

This is profound... really profound... Almost every single church I've been to has put an extreme emphasis on getting involved through service and infallibly, I've had terrible experiences in those churches and ended up leaving those churches. The pain of those experiences drove me closer to Jesus. He has been my comfort and strength, my defender and protector through it all, helping me to learn and grow in my walk with Him. Whereas, serving in church has sometimes even been a distraction from my relationship with Him and even a burden, a point of attack, which drove me to pray and seek Him more deeply. And to think, the church leaders who kept pointing me to serve completely missed the point, which was to focus on my relationship with Him. I've left churches and organizations because of how they have dishonored God or caused me to dishonor Him. I've reflected on this recently and I've found that the reasons I keep leaving these places/organizations is for that very reason, which means I've been seeking to be closer to Him. Which is beautiful. Thank you so much for this comment, it really hits home, God bless you.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello gentle lamb. I love your honesty.
Because your morally correct. Churches and denominations don't like thier traditions challenged.

Jesus is perfect example of being morally correct. The religious leaders hated Jesus. He exposed them as self righteous hypocrites, Matthew chapter 23 to document.

I exposed a reprobate on different forum. When, confronted, he showed his true colors. He even made accusations i was judging people.

He couldn't stand to hear the truth. There's some decent people in the world. There's also reprobates. And they appear normal, unless you have spirtual discernment.

Truth is, reprobates have the mentality of satan. Opposition to Gods truth. There's some false brethren on all forums.

If your interested in bible study's. Shepherds chapel, on YouTube. They tell you the truth. I studied under pastor Arnold murray and dennis for 22 years.

Arnold murray passed away in 2014.

It's your decision. Take care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello gentle lamb. I love your honesty.
Because your morally correct. Churches and denominations don't like thier traditions challenged.

Jesus is perfect example of being morally correct. The religious leaders hated Jesus. He exposed them as self righteous hypocrites, Matthew chapter 23 to document.

I exposed a reprobate on different forum. When, confronted, he showed his true colors. He even made accusations i was judging people.

He couldn't stand to hear the truth. There's some decent people in the world. There's also reprobates. And they appear normal, unless you have spirtual discernment.

Truth is, reprobates have the mentality of satan. Opposition to Gods truth. There's some false brethren on all forums.

If your interested in bible study's. Shepherds chapel, on YouTube. They tell you the truth. I studied under pastor Arnold murray and dennis for 22 years.

Arnold murray passed away in 2014.

It's your decision. Take care.
Thank you so much, God bless you. The Bible does say that in the last day scoffers would come. I guess one of the effects of the scoffers is that satan tries to use them to deter us from walking in righteousness with God. May we not be discouraged in Jesus name, amen.

Reactions: anetazo
Upvote 0