keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I will be satisfied if I know that my future offspring can make decisions based on carefully studied generational results.

Why in such a rush to approve GMO foods anyways? To "feed more"? According to some, aren't there already more than enough people in the world now?

So let them starve to decrease the surplus population?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
So let them starve to decrease the surplus population?
Beings do not procreate in the presence of limited food/nutrients, on a rational (hopefully) and physical level (natural biological restrictions).

The population always grows to cover the available food supply. By nature of our economic systems, there will always be those at the top with abundant food, and those at the peripheral with limited food. There will always be "hungry people".

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
How about more traditional fruits, like apples, oranges, plums and the like?

Some of the trees are truly Frankenstein's monster, having separate genetic material from 3 different trees, almost always at least 2! One for the rootstock and another for the tree above ground and the fruit. But sometimes a third small graft to control tree size. In apples the main above ground graft can be for a variety that is pollen sterile, a tree whose genetic line would soon vanish without mankind propping it up. Some apple trees could be called 100s of years old as they are clones of clones. Totally unnatural.

Of course people are used to or ignorant of this so it is fine.

Actually I'm more than fine with it. I also have no problems with GMO, in fact I find blanket concerns there to be idiotic. It is not the technique one should be concerned about, but what is selected for, either by GMO or by more traditional techniques. I'm opposed to man eating apple trees no matter how they get created.

I just found the line of argument interesting to jump in. personally...I love some Franken-trees! How else would I get my odd varieties of apples? And citrus fruits?!Oh man! Citrus fruits!

Now I am thinking about getting a fruit salad tree again...:yum:

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I personally prefer the older version. But there is something chilling about Picard saying it so calmly.

Yeah. I picked it solely for that reason. :thumbsup:

(I considered the Muppet version, since yknow...Beaker and all! But Picard saying it? Priceless!)

Upvote 0