Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'd say I would normally see Muslim extremists as the bigger (but not very big) threat, but are we counting Donald Trump? That could sway it in one go.

The UK petition to block Donald J Trump from UK entry has now reached 565,172 signatures

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
72% of Atheists think Christians are a bigger threat than Muslims.

Christians are a bigger threat... in American politics. I imagine that's what the atheists mean. Christians have far more power over American government, and over the mightiest military in the world, and that does pose threats of one sort or another. Muslims aren't in that position.

Yes, geopolitically, Muslims might be the greater threat in some ways, though with the way that America starts so many wars against Muslim nations, even that is debatable.

None of this is to say that Muslims are all lily-white, and Christians darkest black. There are evil and dangerous Muslims. Some Muslim nations seem to have missed the Age of Enlightenment that civilized the West. It's like they, or many of them, are living back in the Dark Ages. Sure, that's a danger.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Outgroup homegeneity bias danger alert! (not saying you have, but...)

Outgroup homogeneity is the tendency for people to view members of a group that is different from their own as being more similar to each other, while they view members of their own group as being more diverse.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...ome.protestants.and.catholics.agree/75001.htm

The article doesn´t say what your headline says. It says that of those who consider Christians a greater threat 72% are atheists.

Personally, I find asking "Who is a greater threat?" pretty strange. (Who is a greater threat - your wife or your daughter?).
Threat to what exactly? In which way?
And why would I consider an entire group as a threat, anyway?

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
The article doesn´t say what your headline says. It says that of those who consider Christians a greater threat 72% are atheists.

Personally, I find asking "Who is a greater threat?" pretty strange. (Who is a greater threat - your wife or your daughter?).

I like a quote I once read:

"84% of all statistics are taken directly from the lower digestive tract of the person proposing them."

Reactions: ecco
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...ome.protestants.and.catholics.agree/75001.htm

I think it should be the other way around. Just look at the attacks from extreme Muslims like ISIS, the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Hamas, Boko Haram, Jemaah Islamiyah. ie world trade center, Bali night club bombings killing 202 people and injuring 240 , Multiple bombings in London Underground 53 killed by four suicide bombers Nearly 700 injured, Paris attacks, Boston Marathon bombings, Westgate shopping mall attack 67 deaths, and more than 175 people were reportedly wounded in the mass shooting, Borno Massacre at least 200 killed by Boko Haram.
Thats just a few of the 100s of attacks. Extreme Muslims have stated that they want to make all the world a caliphate. Anyone who refuses to submit to Allah will be eliminated. They also want Sharia laws where people will be subjected to extreme punishments such as beheading, and lashings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

In the meantime its mainly the Christians who are helping and caring for people. You could say that its the Christian values of the western countries that was standing up against the attacks from extreme Muslims.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I think it should be the other way around. Just look at the attacks from extreme Muslims like ISIS, the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Hamas, Boko Haram, Jemaah Islamiyah. ie world trade center, Bali night club bombings killing 202 people and injuring 240 , Multiple bombings in London Underground 53 killed by four suicide bombers Nearly 700 injured, Paris attacks, Boston Marathon bombings, Westgate shopping mall attack 67 deaths, and more than 175 people were reportedly wounded in the mass shooting, Borno Massacre at least 200 killed by Boko Haram.
Thats just a few of the 100s of attacks. Extreme Muslims have stated that they want to make all the world a caliphate. Anyone who refuses to submit to Allah will be eliminated. They also want Sharia laws where people will be subjected to extreme punishments such as beheading, and lashings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

In the meantime its mainly the Christians who are helping and caring for people. You could say that its the Christian values of the western countries that was standing up against the attacks from extreme Muslims.
These aren´t TrueMuslimsTM. :)

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The headline [I think] correctly reports the poll; it's the article that's badly written.

"Among those who fear Christians more than Muslims, 72 percent are atheists, 45 percent are Democrats, 36 percent are political independents, 29 percent are Protestants, 23 percent are Catholics, and 20 percent are Republicans."

If you add up the three political choices, you get 101%, which could be rounding, but if you add up atheism, Prot. & Catholic, it's well over 100%.

Upvote 0

ecco

Poster
Sep 4, 2015
Florida
✟5,011.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The headline [I think] correctly reports the poll; it's the article that's badly written.

"Among those who fear Christians more than Muslims, 72 percent are atheists, 45 percent are Democrats, 36 percent are political independents, 29 percent are Protestants, 23 percent are Catholics, and 20 percent are Republicans."

If you add up the three political choices, you get 101%, which could be rounding, but if you add up atheism, Prot. & Catholic, it's well over 100%.
Yeah. There is some seriously bad math in the article. If the math is wrong...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristJudgeOfAll

Jul 1, 2015
✟9,729.00
Faith
Protestant

You can't add them up like that, think of it like this.
Example: 1,000 people surveyed.

100 of them were atheists, 72 of these atheists consider Christians to be bigger threat
100 of them were Protestants, 29 of them consider Christians to be bigger threat
100 of them were Catholics, and 23 of them consider Christians to be bigger threats.
Ect.

Upvote 0

ChristJudgeOfAll

Jul 1, 2015
✟9,729.00
Faith
Protestant
Yeah. There is some seriously bad math in the article. If the math is wrong...

100 of them were atheists, 72 of these atheists consider Christians to be bigger threat
100 of them were Protestants, 29 of them consider Christians to be bigger threat
100 of them were Catholics, and 23 of them consider Christians to be bigger threats.
Ect.

Upvote 0

ChristJudgeOfAll

Jul 1, 2015
✟9,729.00
Faith
Protestant

Questions are vague so that the person who is asked can interpret more. It's meant for the person to answer based on what the perceive to be threats.

What first pops into your mind when you think of potential threats that arises from religious groups? For me, I think of terrorism, for some, they might think of potential merges of state and religion, and for some, they might think having to give up money at church.

I like vague questions, because how you choose to answer vague questions shows a lot about who you are.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Ect.

I'd like to think of it like that, and I think that's basically what the poll found, but that's not what the article literally says.

"Among those who fear Christians more than Muslims" - That's setting up what the 'universe' is for the rest of that sentence. So out of those 100 people who fear Christians more than Muslims, 72 are atheists, 29 are Protestants, and 23 are Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sure. Most people who wear the label "Atheist" openly and proudly are actively hostile towards Christians, so anyone who is suppressing Christians seems justified to them. "My enemy's enemy is my friend," you know. ;)

I'll just pretend that wink is supposed to mean that you don't really believe that nonsense.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll just pretend that wink is supposed to mean that you don't really believe that nonsense.
Wink in that case is supposed to mean that the logic of "my enemy's enemy is my friend" is somewhat weird, that's right. It's accurate as a description of the reasoning at play, but it's still strange as reasoning goes.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Makes perfect sense, since the United States is dominated by Christians and not Muslims. They are likely referring to fundy type Christians, who want to invade science class and change how science is taught and also allow Christians, to discriminate against certain people in public accommodating businesses or interactions.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure. Most people who wear the label "Atheist" openly and proudly are actively hostile towards Christians, so anyone who is suppressing Christians seems justified to them. "My enemy's enemy is my friend," you know. ;)

Most of my best friends are Christians and I have no problem with them at all.

Of course, the Christians who are my best friends, are not the type that negatively judge others who don't subscribe to their brand of Christianity, are trying to determine what is taught in science class and also want Christians to be able to discriminate at will when they feel like it, in public situations.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most of my best friends are Christians and I have no problem with them at all.
I don't doubt it, but we do have the survey which shows the mindset of a certain percentage of Atheists. In addition, what I noted didn't say that all of them felt as I described.

Upvote 0