5:47 And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do t

Faith2481

Mar 7, 2010
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew5:47 And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they?

I would like some insight on this quotation, I find that my new church struggle's with this, I have prayed not to let this bother me for church is about God but I also went for friends because I have none since excepting Jesus.

ChildOfGod97

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
✟16,465.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Matthew5:47 And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they?

I would like some insight on this quotation, I find that my new church struggle's with this, I have prayed not to let this bother me for church is about God but I also went for friends because I have none since excepting Jesus.

One thing that really bothers me about that with some Christians (too many for my taste) is that a lot of Christians are very judgmental, in the bad way and they look with great suspicion on anyone who does not belong to their particular sect.

Because of their beliefs, they end up harboring all sorts of wicked judgments about everyone they meet.

This is very different from the way I see Jesus approaching man, though Jesus knew the heart of man and could see through the Pharisees dim ruses, He approached common people, clearly, with great friendliness. And as we saw at the cross where He asked, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" He even did not view the Pharisees in the eyes of condemnation that they viewed the world.

It pains me greatly to approach people, say, "I am a Christian" and for them to think I am someone who would judge them without mercy and imagine wrong things about them because these people have been stung by these vocal minority.

On the other hand, frankly, I meet great Christians everyday, and you can tell them because despite not knowing you or anything they are warm and open hearted and willing to suspend judgment and think of you mercifully -- as one's own mother or father would in the best of times.

That, to me, is the right path.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is very important to UNDERSTAND that every worldly Church you enter is full of nothing but sinners and that includes the priest or preacher. So don't expect perfection. Go there as a babe in CHRIST that wants to learn to walk up the path to the KINGDOM of ALMIGHTY GOD.

You need GOD'S WORD working in your life. Read and reread the NEW TESTIMENT until the next time you read it you will already know what IT'S going to say. For then IT'S locked in your heart to draw from the rest of your life. You will never be sorry you did. This is GOD'S ROADMAP given to us so that we are able to walk up that path to the KINGDOM of ALMIGHTY GOD.

Then there are some very important BOOKS that are not stories that contain GOD'S RULES so that we can live to serve GOD and get the best out of life.

It is important to get a UNDERSTANDING that comes from GOD about friends as it may appear that others have a lot of real friends:

Sirach
Chapter 6

5 A kind mouth multiplies friends, and gracious lips prompt friendly greetings.

6 Let your acquaintances be many, but one in a thousand your confidant.

7 When you gain a friend, first test him, and be not too ready to trust him

8 For one sort of friend is a friend when it suits him, but he will not be with you in time of distress.

9 Another is a friend who becomes an enemy, and tells of the quarrel to your shame.

10 Another is a friend, a boon companion, who will not be with you when sorrow comes.

11 When things go well, he is your other self, and lords it over your servants;

12 But if you are brought low, he turns against you and avoids meeting you.

13 Keep away from your enemies; be on your guard with your friends.

14 A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure.

15 A faithful friend is beyond price, no sum can balance his worth.

16 A faithful friend is a life-saving remedy, such as he who fears God finds;

17 For he who fears God behaves accordingly, and his friend will be like himself.

Sirach
Chapter 9

9:14. Forsake not an old friend, for the new will not be like to him.

9:15. A new friend is as new wine: it shall grow old, and thou shalt drink it with pleasure.

Sirach
Chapter 12

12:8. A friend shall not be known in prosperity, and an enemy shall not be hidden in adversity.

12:9. In the prosperity of a man, his enemies are grieved: and a friend is known in his adversity.

Sirach
Chapter 22

22:24. He that pricketh the eye, bringeth out tears: and he that pricketh the heart, bringeth forth resentment.

22:25. He that flingeth a stone at birds, shall drive them away: so he that upbraideth his friend, breaketh friendship.

22:26. Although thou hast drawn a sword at a friend, despair not: for there may be a returning. To a friend,

22:27. If thou hast opened a sad mouth, fear not, for there may be a reconciliation: except upbraiding, and reproach, and pride, and disclosing of secrets, or a treacherous wound: for in all these cases a friend will flee away.

22:28. Keep fidelity with a friend in his poverty, that in his prosperity also thou mayst rejoice.

22:29. In the time of his trouble continue faithful to him, that thou mayst also be heir with him in his inheritance.

22:30. As the vapour of a chimney, and the smoke of the fire goeth up before the fire: so also injurious words, and reproaches, and threats, before blood.

22:31. I will not be ashamed to salute a friend, neither will I hide myself from his face: and if any evil happen to me by him, I will bear it.

22:32. But every one that shall hear it, will beware of him.

Sirach
Chapter 37

37:1. Every friend will say: I also am his friend: but there is a friend, that is only a friend in name. Is not this a grief even to death?

37:2. But a companion and a friend shall be turned to an enemy.

37:3. O wicked presumption, whence camest thou to cover the earth with thy malice, and deceitfulness?

37:4. There is a companion who rejoiceth with his friend in his joys, but in the time of trouble, he will be against him.
37:5. There is a companion who condoleth with his friend for his belly's sake, and he will take up a shield against the enemy.

37:6. Forget not thy friend in thy mind, and be not unmindful of him in thy riches.

steven

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The heart of the issue is that we should reach out to everyone, regardless of their looks, their past, the way they currently live, their beliefs, etc. No matter what kind of person is standing in front of you, you should greet them with joy and with love.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:47 comes from Jesus' beatitudes from his Sermon on the Mount. That specific section concerns Love for Enemies.

It sounds as if you feel your church isn't very friendly toward you and you would like to be closer to people within it. Attend more of their functions. Go up to people you don't know and strike up a conversation. Smile, smile, smile! Sign up to help on committees! If they aren't taking the first step...go ahead and take it yourself :)

Upvote 0