24 and lost in life

LostMichael

Nov 19, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The title says it all. I was raised Christian, but never attended church or was taught much of a Christian way of life. Since my teens my life has been nothing but trouble and I'm looking to develop a relationship with god and change that. I've read most of the bible, the trouble with me comes from a practical application standpoint and from friends who use their own facts to rip the bible and Jesus at every turn. Another problem I have is with prayer and meditation, it just seems I can never keep my focus. I'm tired of living my life the way I do now though. I've survived bi polar, suicide attempts, drug overdoses, abusive family members, prison, and my own selfish desires. I want so much more in life and feel this is it. Any help, advice, or prayers at all would be much appreciated thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott-Smith

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Lost Michael. You have tried many things, why not give Love a chance? Love does not only change events and happenings, love also hanges men and women. In Matthew 22, Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself."
Start by treating all you know and all you meet, as you would love to be treated, always kindly and with friendly words. You will find that people treat you the same, and your life will become interesting and worth living. Love is very catching, Michael, and you will gradually turn into a kind and caring young man. God will notice and lead you into a life most interesting and enjoying,
with God`s approval and God`s Blessings.
Jesus will give you His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower you with His Love, also. Jesus told us to " ask and ye will receive," thank God and
share all Love and Joy with your neighbour. ( Matthew 7, verses 7-8)
Keep asking and thanking, and sharing, and your life will become abundantly filled with God and His Love. You might stumble and forget at times, but always ask God`s forgiveness, and carry on loving and caring.
And remember Michael: " If God is with us, who or what, can be against us?"
No more 24 and lost in life, but 24 and filled with life as God wants us to be.
I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
it just seems I can never keep my focus.

There are many ways in life. Some people plant their "flag" on political activism, some in social justice, others just want to party.

Many people come to discover that Jesus is not just another thing to select in life, but life itself. When you come to faith in Jesus, it is more than just planting a "flag". Jesus is the only solid rock.

You can read in Ephesians chapter 4 that the Christian is supposed to grow into the full image of Christ. This is a process of Christian maturity that is all too frequently never realized.

While most churches fall short in helping you become more like Jesus, you can get a good start with a church that actually believes the Bible is literally true. Most churches do not have this view of the Bible. Churches with a high view of the Bible will be able to help you learn to use Bible tools such as a concordance and even help you learn how to dig into the Greek.

Learning more and more in the Bible is key to growing in faith and steadfastness.

Jesus says that if we abide (live) in His word, then we are His disciples and we will know the truth and the truth will set us free.

Ephesians 4:11-15 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Upvote 0

Scott-Smith

Trusting God
Jun 16, 2012
Seeking God
Visit site
✟7,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The title says it all. I was raised Christian, but never attended church or was taught much of a Christian way of life. Since my teens my life has been nothing but trouble and I'm looking to develop a relationship with god and change that. I've read most of the bible, the trouble with me comes from a practical application standpoint and from friends who use their own facts to rip the bible and Jesus at every turn. Another problem I have is with prayer and meditation, it just seems I can never keep my focus. I'm tired of living my life the way I do now though. I've survived bi polar, suicide attempts, drug overdoses, abusive family members, prison, and my own selfish desires. I want so much more in life and feel this is it. Any help, advice, or prayers at all would be much appreciated thank you

^ This is beautiful to me and I believe to God also. It sounds like you are trying hard to become righteous and that pleases God since you want to be more like Christ. There is no formula, self help plan or outline to achieve what you really want. What works for me may not work for you but one thing that will work for all of us is asking the Holy Spirit (if saved) to guide, grant wisdom and control our lives and then allow and submit to Him.

For me the best way for me to be closer to God is to be broken. I am stubborn and foolish and when I need Him because of my pain I draw near and see Him. My walk is learning to obey and follow close when all is fine.

Just a few suggestions: Daily scripture reading from a bible that is simple to understand (I like the NLT) and being around other believers and acting on what you have learned are crucial. If you don't have a church, random acts of kindness are great. As old as the saying is, ask yourself what would Jesus do and try and do that all through the day. When you pray, don't feel burdened and get tired or distracted... no one said it needs to be long. Just talk to God. I pray all day every day but in a simple sentence here and there. I don't speak old English so my mind for sure is not going to try and recite it. It can be as simple as: What up God? I love you man! Thanks for this day! Time and a relationship with Him will carry your prayer and the bible tells us even when we don't know what to pray the Holy Spirit will pray on our behalf.

I will be praying for you and if you ever want to vent or chat I would like that.

Scott

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LostMichael-

Accepting Christ doesn't begin with an emotion; it begins with a decision. It's up to us to decide as to whether we will accept what Christ did on our behalf as factual. It is up to us to decide as to whether we will accept what Christ did on our behalf, thereby including ourselves in the community of those who have been cleansed through Christ's efforts. It is also up to us to decide as to whether the teachings we find in Scripture are worthy of being followed. Those of us who are Christians have decided all of these in the affirmative.

The problem with many people is that they get 'the cart before the horse'. They believe that we need to behave in a Christlike manner, or else we can't become Christians. But Scripture is clear in teaching us that God accepts us as we are now, rather than requiring us to change our lifestyle before he can save us. Since the righteousness necessary for salvation is a righteousness which we need to receive from God as a gift, rather than our earning it through our own efforts as a salary, then salvation takes place where we are now, irregardless of where that happens to be:

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished - he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:19-26,NIV)

Christianity is unique in that it teaches that we have salvation as a direct result of what God himself has already done on our behalf. Other religions teach that there are laws which must be followed perfectly, or ritualistic prayers which must be recited regularly. But Christianity is clear in its teaching that our salvation is assured solely because of the actions which God himself, as well as his Son, performed 2,000 years ago in order to make that salvation available to us.

Reactions: Scott-Smith
Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've done some fairly extensive apologetics research. Listen Michael Christianity is very robust it will take pretty much any scrutiny and just come back fighting. I know I've frequently tried to disprove it only to have my b*** kicked on several occasions.

Logically speaking there must be a God. Has to be, science's answer to what caused the beginning is there was no beginning. An idea disproved in logic and in the past several years in science with the Borde-Vilenkin-Guth Theorem states that any universe, which has, on average, a rate of expansion greater 1 that system had to have a finite beginning.

If you are to convert obviously you'll have to deal with the scoffers first. But ultimately Christ needs to choose you.

Firstly then:-

One of the premier defenders of the Christian faith in our modern times is this guy.

Dr. William Lane Craig.
ReasonableFaith.org – Defend Biblical Christianity, Apologetics, Bible Questions
Watch a few of his debates with skeptics it i'll give you many ideas on how to deal with your friends.

Good Example here. Does God Exist? William Lane Craig vs Klemens Kappel - YouTube

If you want to go all the way to young earth Christianity give this guy a try-

Complete Creation, Alternavideo Productions & Genesis Week - YouTube

He's very funny and extremely well informed despite first appearance watch a couple of videos and you'll begin to tie your friends up in all sorts of knots.

If you prefer books Craig has some excellent ones or if your looking for something more specific let us know.

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LostMichael,
This is all you need "Jesus Christ". I was living a so-called christian life for more than a decade but I was actually not converted (but now I have been made born again by God).

True conversion comes from God Himself. Ask Him to make you born again. Ask Him everyday until He does (there is no other option). Read the bible everyday.

God is a person who is the living one behind/beyond the word in the bible.

There is not much we can do about our lives really as our own efforts will never be enough. God needs to make us alive first then we can live a life in Him.

I pray that God finds you. Gal 4:9 "But now you have come to know God, OR RATHER TO BE KNOWN BY GOD..."

All glory to God!

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your strength in overcoming adversity is an inspiration, and actually helped to put some things in my life into perspective. Thanks for that.

I have a suggestion for you. When it comes to practical application, and ideas for prayer, daily devotions can be a very good habit. They only take a few minutes, and give you a short Bible passage and some application comments for our lives.

You can find a bunch of free ones here. Try a few and pick one or more that you like.

Daily Devotions

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How do you feel concerning the forgiveness that Jesus won for you at the cross by dying in your place?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 4, 2012
✟15,338.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Gutsy Prayer http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=4718747186170269619&postID=1659283905297552955&from=pencil

"Pastor, teach us to pray." The two young couples approached Eugene Peterson in absolute earnest. They felt that their prayers were awkward, insincere, imitative, short and ineffectual.

"Why don't you take a good look at the Psalms. King David was a man who knew how to pray. He covered most of the situations which you will face. Study his approach."

Weeks passed and the Pastor heard no more, but then a somewhat apologetic knock at the door of his study. "It doesn't seem to be helping, sir. The King James language seems so archaic and foreign. We cannot get at the heart of David through it all."

'Well friends, said Peterson, 'that is unfortunate because those prayers were really quite visceral, frank, elemental and unrestrained. If David were ticked off he let God know. If desperate he hollered out for help. If joyful, the very heart-strings sang. Perhaps I might attempt a paraphrase of a couple of them to break the ice for you.'

Thus began the much celebrated paraphrase of the entire Bible which we now recognize as "The Message".

Those young couples discovered a prayer life which was spontaneous, honest, unvarnished and delightfully personal. They were coming closer to God's heart. Hearing from Him. Pleading in ways consistent with His will. Becoming angry where He was angry. Chuckling at the things that humoured Him. Delighting over His victories.

It took for them the vernacular and street-wise which Peterson had incorporated into his texts.

At a time of personal crisis, and not too long ago, I found myself examining Peterson's text and walking dark streets, yelling out at God in very direct terms about the need. He was not offended. He visited me. He settled me. He gave me fresh courage.

The answers came later...

See also the link:
FORMED INTO FLESH
4718747186170269619-1659283905297552955

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most people equate prayer with asking for things. This seems illogical to me, how can I ask God for things? He will do in my life as he pleases. He knows everything I need and as Gareth Brooks once sang:- Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

I don't really see the point:- I just trust God instead to do these things, that others may ask for. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, it just creates a bit of a logical feedback loop for my little brain.

Anyways, I prefer to "Walk in prayer." When I used to be a Catholic I kind of used to dial God up, by blessing myself and hangup when finished, in-between I say an Our father, Hail Mary and a Glory be and happy days. Of course I had no idea who Christ was, neither was I saved, but this is what we did.

These days, I think about prayer like those little pieces of Manna that fall from heaven, you're meditating on a difficult passage from the gospel and then bam, out it comes clear as day and strengthens your faith in the Word. This for me is prayer

Upvote 0

ObeyGODCommandments

STICK WITH A BIBLE! FOLLOW CHRIST! STOP SINNING!
Jun 24, 2012
✟7,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I commend you for overcoming all those obstacles such as those that you stated in your post. Just continue to do what is right. Obey and keep God's commandments as it is. Do not follow what evil doers do. Do not listen to those that tell you that sinning is okay. There will be those that will try to deceive you and will try to lead you astray so that you will end up disobeying God's commandments. I will not allow that to happen to you or to anybody else. So please, listen to what is right, which is through the word of God and only through the word of God, not anywhere else. Obey its commands because it will save your life!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gypsygirl

Jul 11, 2009
United States
✟7,717.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Michael,
Your concerns echo the ones I had over ten years ago, and I can relate to the bipolar/suicide/abuse thing as well. Here's some practical advise/insight that hopefully can guide you a bit.

First, don't feel ashamed or guilty if you need to "close in" a while and develop a stronger faith - believers face doubts all the time. I recommend getting a book on Amazon that does provides a basic understanding to the Bible that helps you apply it to real-life scenarios; also purchase a good study Bible as understanding the historical context and original language of the text can be very powerful for helping you understand scripture. Just reading the Bible on the surface can be very confusing, so educate yourself!:)

Next, as someone who has overcome more garbage than I can write, I encourage you to not get trapped in the muck and mire of self-pity. Please don't take that the wrong way - I am not condemning you, but I know how addicting a negative outlook can be. You are more than the circumstances in which you live and have been dealt and if you permit yourself to be open and honest with God on a day-by-day basis, He will heal you if you permit your attitude to be changed. Good luck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Try this:

Ask God to pray through you for things He would like accomplished. See prayer as Him doing the work, and you talking with Him... adding activation to what He already wants.

Open your Bible or a promise, expecting to use it with your prayers. God makes statements that are always true, so these can support you in what you are requesting. Allow some of your time to be listening, declaring... conversing with God.

Pace the room while you pray, to keep your blood flowing and to add physical emphasis to your prayers. You will feel more like you are walking forward -- moving forward in action.

This is not a formula or "way to do it" -- just a suggestion to improve the situation you brought up.

Upvote 0

PureDose

Pinball Wizard
Sep 18, 2012
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Stick to the gospels, to the testimony of Jesus...

There is a lot of work everyday in forgiving, in striving to understand others so one can forgive, in turning the other cheek, and so on.

Doing so builds up confidence in the truth, so the words and actions of those who despise it are more easily dealt with.

As you have been through a lot, you have also had many tresspass against you.

Later, then, one begins to live increasingly by faith, which are also of the teachings of Jesus.

Upvote 0

LostMichael

Nov 19, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your advice and encouraging words, especially you Gypsygirl. This week God worked in my life and performed a miracle. I had 2 years clean from heroin before relapsing last year. Along the way I got arrested with heroin on me and picked up a slew of other charges. Yesterday I went to court and all the charges except one were dismissed, which I only have to pay a fine for. Best of all, the charge I did plead guilty to wasn't a drug charge so I'll be able to keep my financial aid grant and finish my last semester of college! It truly was a miracle and afterwards I prayed in the car thanking Gid. I only have one monkey left on my back now, which is my continued use of heroin. I'm ready to kick though, but am scared to death of going through withdrawal. Please pray for me, and thank you again everyone for your care and compassion.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Michael, you sound very clear about making whatever change is necessary in your life to get on the right track. That awareness of the need to change, and willingness to actually do it, is very powerful. Cling to it closely, even if you have to strategize your way out of your current situation. Be patient, and protect and feed your faith that God is working in you and for you. He is, and He will see you through to the victory side.

Upvote 0